CANADIAN and AMERICAN accent, whats the difference?

Danielle   Friday, November 08, 2002, 15:32 GMT
Ok, first of all this reply is for Mr. X !!!!

The Queen is NOT HEAD OF OUR COUNTRY YOU IGNORANT HALFWIT !! We have a prime minister, he is the leader. The Queen is just the queen and we have a governor general that represents the queen, and the gg is chosen by the PRIME MINISTER !!!

Check your FACTS before babbling alot of BS here and there. Thanks
Simon   Friday, November 08, 2002, 15:48 GMT
Danielle, this is what the CIA world factbook says:

"chief of state: Queen ELIZABETH II (since 6 February 1952), represented by Governor General Adrienne CLARKSON (since 7 October 1999)
elections: none; the monarchy is hereditary; governor general appointed by the monarch on the advice of the prime minister for a five-year term; following legislative elections, the leader of the majority party in the House of Commons is automatically designated by the governor general to become prime minister
head of government: Prime Minister Jean CHRETIEN (since 4 November 1993); Deputy Prime Minister John MANLEY (since NA January 2002)
cabinet: Federal Ministry chosen by the prime minister from among the members of his own party sitting in Parliament"

Please address any complaints to the CIA...
Jim   Monday, November 11, 2002, 01:00 GMT
What the CIA forgot to mention is that Jean Chretien only speaks out of one side of his mouth like Popeye the Sailorman.

The Queen is the head of state the Governor General is here representitive but very very rarely do either of them have any say in how the country is run. The Prime Minister is the head of government and is in charge of policy. Though it is the Queen's face which is on all the coins (since 1952)and the $20 bill.

When I say "very very rarely" I mean the Governor General still has some power. For example, (s)he has the power to sack the Prime Minister like what happened to Gough Whitlam in Australia on the 11th of November 1975.
Jim   Monday, November 11, 2002, 01:01 GMT
typo: "here" should be "her".
Ken   Monday, November 11, 2002, 01:31 GMT
Joan, don't you think it's a bit presumptuious to say that we Americans are all egocentric bastards? Contrary to popular belief, we all don't sit around day in and day out telling ourselves that we're God's gift to the world, nor do we sit around acting as if the rest of the world should be our subjects or whatnot.

I am so sick and tired of being the target of unwarranted hatred and revulsion from the international community because of my *perceived* thoughts and prejudices. Do you know how fucked up and frustrating it is when you're forced to hide your nationality when going over seas because of the risk of being mobbed or openly mocked on the street?

Just because one illiterate American moron comes onto this forum shoving his misplaced arrogance and blind national pride in everyone's faces (like that "George" character over in the Which Accent Do You Hate? thread)doesn't mean that everyone else from his country - my country - feels the same as he. God, at least give us the benefit of doubt.
Ken   Monday, November 11, 2002, 01:32 GMT
Typo: "presumptuous".
Joan   Tuesday, November 12, 2002, 00:19 GMT
I obviously owe Ken an apology.

When I say you Americans, I mean, and I'm sure others get this too, (if not whatever) but I mean all those out there that ARE like that. There are just too many of you to say, "and specifically this one, and that one." get it?

Besides, much like ur burning frustration, I too was burning off some frustration.

Are you angry because you're not the "typical american" viewed in society?
as angry as the canadians that are not the "typical canadian" in society?

Perhaps you should be, but I have met many Americans in my life, been to the US many times, and am friends with a great many of them. Obviously the ones I'm friends with aren't like that. But everyone of my visits have given me the same impression. So maybe ur that one person to prove me wrong. But do I know you? No I don't, and it would take many good experiences to prove me wrong.

but now you've stirred my curiosity, and since you are american, you should have no problem defending ur country with my questions.
You see, there is sooooooooo much propaganda in america. That american flag has to show up everywhere, and its the only country I've ever seen do that.

You don't think every american is like the "typical american", and I think more than you know are like that, if not deep down inside, though I know not all. Ur angry? Well tell me this, do you know the whole of the US? So when you say all americans are not like that, then I take it you mean YOU are not like that, and perhaps ur friends.

Its not that we hate you (though the fuck canadian comment was just dumb.)

"Just because one illiterate American moron comes onto this forum shoving his misplaced arrogance and blind national pride in everyone's faces (like that "George" character over in the Which Accent Do You Hate? thread)doesn't mean that everyone else from his country - my country - feels the same as he. God, at least give us the benefit of doubt." Ken

Well, if it was one, or two, or three like this, here's ur benifit of the doubt.
but try more like four, five six and up and up the number goes.
for some reason though, when u meet an american in person its easier to judge, so here's ur benifit of the doubt ken.

u go it.
but as for the arrogance from WWII as we'll call it, no one can say what the americans would have done, whether they would have joined or not. Though I wonder why it took so long. but then again, defending their own country is a noble thing to do, right? nothing wrong with that. it just says something...
Joan   Tuesday, November 12, 2002, 00:25 GMT
And I never said "egocentric bastards" Ken.

Was that basically what I said? Read my comment over again and tell me. otherwise, just quote off my comments.

just as I did with yours.
Joan   Tuesday, November 12, 2002, 00:26 GMT
TYPO: go- as in GOT it.
Carrie   Monday, November 18, 2002, 06:54 GMT
Who ever said Canadians are a bunch of try-hards, you seem extremely dense and thick (believe me, that's not a good thing). I think that the difference between Canadain accents and American accents are very small and hardly noticeable. The Americans that make fun of how Canadians say "about" as "aboot" are completely stupid because I live in British Columbia and I don't believe that I have heard a single person pronouce the word as "aboot". To my knowledge, we only say "eh" when we are trying to be sarcastic, or trying to get someone to agree with what has been said like Gord has mentioned. Canadians also use words or phrases that Americans probably don't use like "tuque" because it is really a French word as in "une tuque". I also think that Americans tend to speak in a bit of a "gangish-way" because when they talk, they slip letters and pronouce words carelessly. I live very close to Vancouver which is also very close to the U.S.A so I don't know if I speak like Americans but I don't think so according to the way I write. Can you tell if I was from Canada if I didn't tell you? British English is different from Canadian English onlyin the way they talk and the words they use. English accents seem more posh but I always thought it sounds very unnatural. They also use words that Canadians are probably very alien to or are used as other meanings. For example, eraser is rubber, jumper is sweater, etc.etc. British children seem to be very very educated judging from the way they speak and the vocabulary they use. I'm not sure about Canadian and American children but I am 13, so you can judge upon that.

I would like to add that Bob and Pierre are both idiots and it just puzzles me why they are both on this site learning about English. Peace.
Clark   Monday, November 18, 2002, 07:09 GMT
Carrie, well done! I think on the whole, Americans are "lazy" in their speech. As I am American, this goes for me too, but I am English, so I have SOME room to talk. When I have family over from England, I notice that they use words in their everyday speech that would be considered "educated" words in American English. I do not notice this when I go over there, as I am surrounded by "English" English speakers--it all just blends in to my ears.

To me, I can tell when an American is writing as opposed to a Canadian or a British person; I do not know what it is, but there is a noticeable difference.
Graeme   Monday, November 18, 2002, 14:57 GMT
Unless an American is trying to deliberately hide where they are from they will spell words differently to Canadian, British and I will also include New Zealand and Australian people.

Let me give you some examples:

US Australian
tire tyre
kilometer kilometre
center centre
color colour

However, there is a trend to the internationalisation of English that you all may not be aware of. There is now a recognised Singaporean english, which has its own characteristics and idiosyncracies. Lets take this forum from what is best or who has the biggest ego, to what it is designed for. Understanding how we have all adapted and modified English to our purpose.

For the most part, without making value judgements. America decided not all that long ago that words should appear to be spelled more like they are said. Fair enough, my nation Australia judges that it is a part of our culture to continue with the older spelling. You can see from above that English is far from pristine itself, you can see the French influence!

Our accent in Australia varies from state to state, and we talk the way we talk, it is not a conscious decision, unless we choose to change for cultural purposes. We should all make some effort to understand the differences in our speech and our accents in order to get a bit closer. We need to stick together if times get tough.
PJY   Monday, November 18, 2002, 17:26 GMT
Y do americans and canadians hate eachother so much? ure basically the same!!!!!
PJY   Monday, November 18, 2002, 17:35 GMT
Yeah stick up 4 yoself bruva. (in reply to Ken's little speech about George and how not all americans are egocentric bastards) idiots like George mixed largly with loser pshyco bastards like Bin Laden caused sept 11.
Carrie (In response to PJY)   Tuesday, November 19, 2002, 04:44 GMT
Americans and Canadians don't hate each other, don't be like other stereotypes and no, Americans and Canadians are not the same. They live in different countries and their opinions and thoughts on issues are pretty different. Also, I suggest you brush up on your spelling and your grammar. Peace.