BRITISH ACCENT!!!

Cenylah   Friday, August 15, 2003, 03:13 GMT
I am actually from germany but live in the states and I do have a german accent at least that is where I got it from but people tell me all the time that I have a brooklyn-jersey accent, I don't sound german at all they can never tell. I can't tell but sometimes when I pronounce a few words then yeah I can understand what they mean. But hopefully I can pick up the british accent, that'd be cool.
Marie   Sunday, August 17, 2003, 00:39 GMT
Why would you want to have a British accent?I would never do that b/c to me it takes away who I am.Now if I moved to England and stayed there for a long time and developed an accent thats difference but I'm not going to try to get a British accent its not who I am.
chloe   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 09:35 GMT
What type of English accent are you looking to speak anyways? because there are soooo many different accents for such a small place. I live in the north part of England in Manchester and even though Liverpool is less than 35miles away we sound very very different. Likewise when I went down south on holiday it is obvious there is a big difference in our accents and also in some places certain words are used that in other regions arent. To other places that have very unique accents are Newcastle and Birmingham, its worth thinging about cos not everyone sounds like the Queen.
Ryan   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 17:00 GMT
Most people not from Britain who say they want the British accent are talking about an RP accent, which I think sounds pretty annoying and contrived compared to "real" British accents.

Ryan
chloe   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 17:43 GMT
yeah I dont really like the RP accent and I find it really annoying how many people from other countrys assume that, that accent is the most comman and the most popular in England.
Magda   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 22:44 GMT
High Grant has a typical middle class accent. NOT 'upper class'. When I lived in the south of England almost everyone I met sounded like Hugh Grant. They were mostly: teachers, lecturers, lawyers and so on. Definitely , middle class not upper class.

Prince Charles has the typical upper class 'rp' accent, and it's bloody annoying! However, his mothers is much worse ...

I love the typical middle class southern ENGLISH accent. I hate most American accents.
Hythloday   Thursday, August 21, 2003, 16:15 GMT
Re: "Rent "Four Weddings and a Funeral" and "Notting Hill". Listen to Hugh Grant. He has a fairly pleasant, upper class British accent," if looked at objectively (and we are all linguists and language students here, ren't we???), all British accents are equal in aesthetic value and I'm surprised to hear someone say that on this forum. Shouldn't personal opinions like that be kept to oneself?
Cenylah   Friday, August 22, 2003, 05:18 GMT
Yeah I'm fo real, I know what accent I think would sound cool and the only way I would ever be ABLE to get it is if i DO end up living in england. And that's my goal anyways since I'm going to the university soon.
scottish   Friday, August 22, 2003, 09:37 GMT
cenylah, sorry i dident reply earlyer,,,,the st. andrews accent is like the dundee accent but,,,lets just say easyer to understand (for people outside scotland). even though saint andrews is only 20 minutes away from dundee!!. where are you from,,, you should do an i net search for dundonian accent.
scottish   Friday, August 22, 2003, 09:39 GMT
my aunty just married a guy from calgary, canada and they came over to live in dundee a few weeks ago,,,,and he can understand us fine. (hopefully)
Caledonian Scot   Friday, August 22, 2003, 09:43 GMT
Cenylah, You shouldn't try to speak like the english!!!!! believe me!
and St Andrews is across the River Tay, i live in Dundee.
Have you ever watched the James Bond films with Sean Connery, whata cool accent.
As they say the English are 2 pints of beer behind the rest of the world.

When peeple (Scottish) talk to you at first it is quite difficult to understand,
But then the scottish accent is instantly recognisable and is a funny accent.
i was in Canada a wee while ago (TORONTO) and as Dundee has such a strong connection with toronto, many citizens of Toronto recognised my accent and could understand what i was saying.
Whereas when i went to Los Angeles for work, people started talkin t me coz i was scottish and it was funny coz they kidna understand a lot of what i was sayin.

I asked a colleague who'd i'd been workin with to come to my house with me
it sounded a little like this

"Here, Tommy kim tae ma hoose wee is !"
in english " here tommy come to my house with me"
he looked at me blankly and says in English?

if u live in LA and see me i will be pissed. Scots are always pissed
Simon   Friday, August 22, 2003, 10:39 GMT
Yes, the Scots are always two pints of beer ahead of the rest of the world. Oh, and they always moan, which is probably why I like them. Taggart is fantastic. I wish I'd grown up in Glasgow rather than London.
A.S.C.M.   Saturday, August 23, 2003, 01:22 GMT
Robert Burns is hilarious.

"I doubt na, whiles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't!"

I think that there is a greater difference between Scottish and English English than there is between American and English English.
cenylah   Monday, August 25, 2003, 02:37 GMT
Hey scottish thank you for your reply, I have been doing a lot of research on st. andrews and i was thinking of the universities up there and stuff. You know I don't think it's wrong at all to try to learn a different culture, or language OR accent. So I mean what's wrong with learning the accent? As for the dundee accent, it seems like it is easier to understand especially if someone from out of the country came to you guys. But thanks again for the info (scottish), and i'll look into it. I am from germany but live in the states....ok that's it for me if anyone has any other info go ahead and let me know:-)
cenylah   Monday, August 25, 2003, 17:30 GMT
by the way, why are scotts always pissed off?