BRITISH ACCENT!!!

Clark   Thursday, August 28, 2003, 05:22 GMT
Adam är inte Amerikansk, hann är Svenska.
Mark   Friday, August 29, 2003, 16:59 GMT
I think Geordies sounds more like Scottish people crossed with Welsh.
Carolina   Saturday, August 30, 2003, 17:22 GMT
How do you learn to speak with a british accent????
Ben   Saturday, August 30, 2003, 19:16 GMT
The concept of the 'British accent' is the same as that of the 'American accent'. Not everyone in America speaks like Matt Perry. Not everyone in England speaks like Hugh Grant. There are variants. Best thing to do, if you ask me, is just to stick to your own accent!
Hythloday   Saturday, August 30, 2003, 20:28 GMT
How come everyone in the US thinks that everyone in Britain knows each other? I'm from Birmingham in the English Midlands, and the last time I was in NY this bloke in a shop gave me the name of his cousin and asked if I knew him. He lived in London, for f***s sake!
AJ   Saturday, August 30, 2003, 22:41 GMT
You will find many Americans who are not geographically-aware. Maybe that bloke's perception of "The British Isles" are islands the size of Barbados.
To Hythloday   Sunday, August 31, 2003, 00:23 GMT
D'ye ken the prez of the U.S. who sent a letter to British students calling them "American children"?

D'ye ken 50% of Americans don't know where India is?
Julian   Sunday, August 31, 2003, 01:54 GMT
I remember reading about a poll conducted a few years ago that revealed that many people in the western world were bad at geography, not just Americans.

Still, it boggles the mind how little Americans know about their allies, neighbors, and their very own borders. I've taught many a high school student who thought Australia was a mountainous country nestled between Switzerland and Germany; that New Mexico was a foreign country; and Canada was a US state populated by Eskimos.
tyghbn   Sunday, August 31, 2003, 02:18 GMT
Dae ye ken that some folk think tha British are arrogant? This is fer tha person gaeing as "To Hythloday."
To tyghbn (same as "To Hythloday")   Sunday, August 31, 2003, 05:55 GMT
Oh, aye, I ken tha'. The British ARE arrogant and I'm not British, not Scottish, and not American.

Bah! The western world's nothing but ignorant and arrogant! Long live Singapore. We actually know our stuff.
Ryan   Sunday, August 31, 2003, 21:22 GMT
Birmingham is only about 100 miles away from London. That would be almost like asking somebody who lived in Lansing, Michigan, if they knew somebody in Detroit, which would not be an unreasonable question.

However, New York City and Philadelphia are not separated by a great distance, yet asking someone from one city if they know someone in the other city can sound kind of silly.

It all has to do with population density, not distance.

Ryan
To Ryan (same as "To Hythloday")   Monday, September 01, 2003, 20:47 GMT
Yes, Ryan. The population density thing is very true.

London has a population of approx 7 000 000, Birmingham around 1 000 000, so it is more like asking a New Yorker (pop 7 400 000) if he knows a Philadelphian (pop 1 500 000) than asking a Lansinger (pop 128 000) if he knows a Detroiter (1 000 000).
Rcrew   Friday, September 12, 2003, 22:55 GMT
I'm a long time Anglophile too. Repeat what you hear from your BBC movies, over and over again. I used to be able to do a passable British accent. The priest at my church is British and speaks with a beautiful accent. During the Gospel reading I about cried how beautiful it sounded!
David Bosch   Monday, September 15, 2003, 03:57 GMT
What are the rules of RP accent?
sammy   Monday, September 15, 2003, 12:17 GMT
Wow sorry but I think this is redicoulus isn´t it?
I mean how can you teach someone the British accent!
Belive me when I say I understand that you want to learn it because it is a rather beatiful accent and defenatly better than american slang (don´t want to offend someone) but the only possible way is if you are moving there.
And even if you are living there for some time, you will never speak exactly like another person.
But think about it do you really want to imitate someone ore rather be yourself!???!

Bye the way there are also some words wich are only used in England and not in america like "reckon".