BRITISH ACCENT!!!

mjd   Wednesday, September 24, 2003, 05:25 GMT
Just as a follow-up.....

"Appreciate" can also be used to denote enjoyment.

Example: "I can really appreciate the music of Mozart."
Barclay   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 20:42 GMT
Hello to anyone out there,
can you help me?
I need to learn how to speak in a Liverpudlian accent. I'm learning a scene from "Blood Brothers" in which the characters speak Liverpudlian. I find this accent very difficult to master, which is unusual for me as I normally have a natural nack of picking up accents easily. If anyone has any pointers I'd be very much obliged.
Barclay   Thursday, September 25, 2003, 20:50 GMT
Well, excuse me! I thought that this was the sort of place that anyone who wants to learn could freely visit and contribute, not somewhere that an innocent, like myself, is verbally abused! Now if you have nothing nice to say then I suggest that you keep your mouth shut! Unless you have any thing which could help me with my liverpudlian accent.
HSBC Lloyds TSB Natwest   Friday, September 26, 2003, 00:10 GMT
Is there any great difference between a Liverpudlian and a Mancunian accent? Liverpool and Manchester are, at least geographically, so close together that I'd be surprised if someone could actually list out some differences.
David Bosch   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 03:52 GMT
Barclay, try searching with google something about the Liverpudlian accent. For instance, I've found lots about RP, Cockney, Edinburgh, and Manchester accent; perhaps you'll find either pronunciation characteristics or history.. that way you can get something to start with.
Salman   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 12:35 GMT
Which style in British accent is know to be the most gentle or pleasent sounded? I mean not the ones which are not understandable, like the Irish accent. But like the one which the late Queen Mother use to speak, any idea guys???? and yes, I'm watching BBC and listening aswell, but I don't seem to catch up fast! as I did for American accent by watching American films. Can any one tell me how I can speak in a true British English fast...as there's very less English films compared to American films. I will glad to know guys!!!!
Salman   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 12:53 GMT
I just want to know that is it right to use slang words and making them short? Example: (hei yooo wazzap ppl? haya doin? u gotta b kikin da gigs man, ain't gat no chicks in da crib yo! ) And I would also like to mention the words used in chatting on the net. So is it all right? I mean aren't we spoiling this beautiful English language? And by doing this, we are getting used to it and that we can't really speak in a simple but correct style in English! as we are getting used to speak and write in slang weather it is American or British English? Don't you think guys? should we not try to write and speak in a rather gentle and pleasent style?

No offense to any body, its just a friendly question.
Regards...
Jamie On   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 13:41 GMT
No, you can write how you like, but I think it's ignorant to assume everyone should bother reading what you write if it's illegible because of the amount of slang and misspellings. Take a look at the forums at www.wass-up.com/soasians/forum. It takes practice to understand some of the things people write.
A.S.C.M.   Sunday, September 28, 2003, 17:53 GMT
Aye. I agree with Jamie and Salman.
adam, manchester   Saturday, October 04, 2003, 23:49 GMT
to the person who asked about mancunian and liverpudlian accents. yes they are different. even tho they are about 25 miles apart in britain if u go down the road they ave a different accent, its really weird actually since america is so big n ave only a few accents. but scousers(liverpudlians) sound a bit welsh wen they say their 'c's they make that spittin noise if u kno wot i mean n its more hi pitched, where as a manc accent is deeper a bit slower n we miss off a lot of letters wen sayin words like going we would day goin and if we say cat we ll sort of say ca but u ll kno its cat its hard 2 xplain but they are very different
Ryan   Sunday, October 05, 2003, 03:28 GMT
Accents develop as a function of time and their development has been slowed in the US by both electronic media and the greater mobility of people than in the past. However, studies in the US have showed that regional accents today are more pronounced and more differentiated than they were in the past, even though some of the more localized rural accents are in decline.

While migration slows the development of distinct accents, I would argue that migration patterns also create more distinct "urban accents" eventually, like as exist in the UK, and this seems to be the destination that the US is currently headed in.

Ryan
bob   Monday, October 06, 2003, 19:38 GMT
Im british and I can only talk wot the rest of the world calls 'posh' it's not its just the dictionary correct way to speak. I cant speak any other way and I need 2 learn a liverpool accent as am a drama student so :o its just as hard 2 learn ur own countrys accent!
British Maria   Tuesday, October 07, 2003, 19:40 GMT
Suppose you grasp the accents that you're used to the most, the ones your parents use and the ones your friends use. If you watch a lot of Brookie you'll have a better chance of imitating a Scouser...watch Emmerdale and you'll have a better chance of imitating a Yorkshire person!