How do you pronounce "antimoon"?

Escuchan, por favor.   Friday, August 15, 2003, 08:41 GMT
I pronounce "Aunt" with the 'au' sound between the 'o' in 'frosted' (with that "aw" or "ah" sort of sound.) I live in California but I picked it up out of nowhere. I said it this way since the 2nd grade to destinguish "ant" and "aunt" when I speak. (Plus I hated the @ sound in 'ant' and I still do.) People never questioned me ever when I say it that way (So, hey, they understand me!)

For antimoon, I say an-tee-MOON. I kept thinking back and forth to "antee-moon and antai-moon but I stuck with "antee-moon" since I never though to ask how to say it...Buuuut, I never said it in public so what does it matter? AND people understand both pronunciations on "Antimoon" anyway.

ramble, ramble [3 days later...]
Amoni   Friday, August 15, 2003, 08:54 GMT
...I do that too... Not the antimoon thing, though, cuz I say only "anteemoon," but I pronounce 'aunt' the same way as you...
Max   Friday, August 15, 2003, 10:27 GMT
Ryan,

So you pronounce it [@n tai 'mu:n] or ['@n tai mu:n]? (I suspect that I put the stress on the wrong syllable in my above post.)

BTW, how do you pronounce the "anti-" in words like antibody, antisocial, antivirus, and anticlockwise?
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 13:36 GMT
The stress is on the second syllable. For antibody, I pronounce it @n ti: because I do not separate the anti from the body. That's how I learned it in science class. But for the other words it is an tai', especially in antisocial, a word I use to describe myself a lot. I've never heard anyone say an ti: for antisocial before.

Ryan
Nora   Friday, August 15, 2003, 13:39 GMT
Tom could you finally explain US : wat does it mean antimoon?
I pronounce the word like I write it a(stress)nti muu(stress)n. lol
Julian   Friday, August 15, 2003, 16:01 GMT
From another American's perspective: I pronounce antibody, antivirus, and antimoon with an '@n ti: (stress on the first syllable). "Antisocial" I alternate between '@n ti: and '@n tai (don't know why). "Anticlockwise" is a word I never use (instead, "counter-clockwise"), but if I did I would probably say '@n ti:.
mjd   Friday, August 15, 2003, 17:51 GMT
Yeah I catch myself using both. For antimoon I use the long "i" sound. For words like "antibody" or "antivirus" I use the "ee" sound.
Antonio   Friday, August 15, 2003, 18:56 GMT

[ ´antee-moon ]

I don´t know about you, but I agree with Simon, "aunt/y" could never be like "anti".

Perhaps "aunt" = [´ont] and "ant" = [ant ;]

The use of the long i by the americans often confuse me. I have a much greater contact with them than with any brit, so sometimes I pronounce anti as [´an-tai].

I suppose this strong/weak i trouble is much like when one says ´civilization´. One might pronounce it [ siv-li-´zei-shan] or [ siv-´lai-zei-shn] like me.
I believe the americans do not insert a shwa in the second syllable (li) and actually pronounce it. I eat it up ( almost ).
Ryan   Friday, August 15, 2003, 19:19 GMT
It's a 5-syllable word. siv-uh-li-zay-shuhn.

Ryan
Antonio   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 18:12 GMT
Ryan: thank you for your dictionary [´dik-shn-ry] insight. I was being phonetic ;)

dic-tion-ar-y
Antonio   Saturday, August 16, 2003, 18:13 GMT
BTW, most of the time I would write civilisation ( sation not zation )
chloe   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 09:20 GMT
Id say aunty-moon
albert c   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 22:26 GMT
Well, Chloe, how do you pronounce "aunty"?

Also, how is your name pronounced? I know Chloe is a very common name in Britain and I've seen it a lot but I've never heard it pronounced.
yap   Tuesday, August 19, 2003, 22:38 GMT
klo-ee i presume
chloe   Wednesday, August 20, 2003, 09:29 GMT
I pronouce aunty like ant-eee I do realise that, that is the wrong way to say it but at first glance that is how I would think it was said I dont know if its just my Mancunian accent. You pronounce chloe as Yap said.