Non-Standard English

Simon   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 08:22 GMT
It's a power struggle. I think it's in my country's best interests to be called England, have English as its adjective, and be the heartland of the English-speaking world. Of course it's probably in America's best interest to call us Brits and so remove as many links as possible with their national language, strengthening the view that English is the language of the US. We will win though because in a few decades you will all be speaking Spanish anyway... Hee hee.
Clark   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 16:26 GMT
Um, no. English will prevail in America. And if it does not, I will move to Canada, Britain or France.
Conchita   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 16:28 GMT
No, we will prevail - He he he
Ryan   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 19:34 GMT
Stupid comments from both Simon and Hythloday about all Americans speaking Spanish even though this is contrary to the world trend show their obvious racism. It's a shame that so many of the Brits on here want to keep this from being an objective forum and instead use it to display their inferiority complexes considering that their country is just an economic puppet of the United States now.

Ryan
mjd   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 20:03 GMT
The U.S. changing to Spanish speaking....please, it'll never happen. Anyway, all of the sons and daughters of Hispanic immigrants all end up being bilingual.
To USA   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 20:21 GMT
Easy comes, Easy goes.

It is a cycle for any human Empire (Roma, Greeks, British, Spaniards. Macedonians, Egyptians etc).Your time as an Empire, will soon perish.
May be now you are on top of the nations, but that is the signal, that you are prone to start the great fall.

You can see it in your society. (Violence, drugs, hedonism,etc )
The USA people is a society that lives in constant fear, fear of themselves, fear of the neighbors, and as always since your birth as a nation, you destroy what is causing you Fear... so, soon you will destroy yourselves.
May be I will not see the End of "America", but the next generations will do it.
And if you are lucky enough to survive, you will take a Puppet's place beside the Former "Empire" Nations to see the next Empire.

No hard feelings.
mjd   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 20:34 GMT
to To USA,

You're right. All hegemons eventually see their end. However, I fail to see what your silly post has to do with the issue of English/Spanish in the United States. Spain, Portugal, England, France etc....these are all former "Empire" nations and they still speak the same languages. So I ask you, sir, what does your post have to do with what we were speaking about?

PS: I'm an American and I'm not living in "constant fear."
Jay   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 20:55 GMT
Gosh, I'm so tired of seeing all this anti-American stuff. While I can understand where it comes from, please understand that:
The USA is far from being a monolith.
I (and a majority of my countrypeople) did not vote for Bush and his regime.
I fight empire building where ever I can.
I do live in fear....because I have no health insurance. Me and 40 million other Americans.
More fear: my thousands of dollars of student loans, and consumer debt (hey, when you have no health insurance, you have to charge your doctor visits.)

so, yeah, whatever.
To MjD   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 21:20 GMT

If I have to use apples, sticks, and oranges to explain it to you...What a job.
Anti-AmeriMoon   Wednesday, October 01, 2003, 23:06 GMT
Not that you Statesian are stupid by nature, but you become stupid when you reply to stupid posts, you do!
If that make you feel any better, your country isn't doomed to vanish, just to become a normal country.
Your successive administrations can't accept that the Statesian way of life relies on the ressources of the rest of the world. They wish they could control all of them, but aside Iraq and Afghanistan, how many country can they attack to gain that level of control? So few actually... Not even North Korea!
Meanwhile, whether Bush and his dumb-assed future successors like it or not, some other states are becoming major power poles, and in the future they will have to reckon with them. Bye bye unilateralism.

Don't be fooled, I do know many of you do not support Bush policy. But then, don't try to plead your country's case. You know which respect of your country is reproached at, and you actually understand why some people feel the need to take this forum as an outlet. Just let them speak, and admit they are not completely wrong, even if they are stupid to post their furious ideas here.
Anyway, you can't prevent this on a forum that does not require any username nor password.
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 01:42 GMT
Anti-AmeriMoon,

I'm not a "Statesian"...if it makes you feel better or somehow enlightened to use this term, go ahead...but it's awfully silly.

I don't care what your opinion of the U.S. is. You're free to think whatever you like. What I was talking about was English and Spanish in the U.S. You failed to address the issue regarding languages (what this forum is about) or respond to my criticism of your post. Instead you chose to lecture us about politics. You can use this forum as an outlet if you want (although you're not supposed to), but expect people to take issue with your off topic posts.
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 01:46 GMT
by the way....I haven't the foggiest clue what the apples, sticks, and oranges comment meant. Your comments were a lecture and had nothing to do with the topic I was writing about.
Clark   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 05:23 GMT
Ryan, I do not even think there will be many bilingual Hispanic Americans in the future because eventually, immigration will start to slow down, and then the immingrats' children will grow up bilingually, but not teach their children the language (or very few of them), and then the third generation will hardly speak Spanish at all. This of course is my personal opinion of what will happen in America. But first, the mass immigration must start to slow down or stop all together.

And even if there were so many Spanish-speakers in America, there are a lot of Americans who would not put up with this and move to more English-speaking areas. But I think that all of America will always remain English-speaking.
!!!!!!!!!   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 06:40 GMT
Why can't they adapt, learn to speak spanish, and continue to live in America? Why must English be THE language of the USA? With time comes change. Ask the native people of America if they had any say in what language their people must speak. Don't be arrogant Clark and think that everything will forever be the white man's way. Your country is named "America", a spanish name. So many of your cities have Spanish names - San Fransico, Los Angeles, etc. Your neighbours to the south speak Spanish. Your country was founded by a Spaniard. More and more Latino's are immigrating to the USA and more and more of the Latino language, culture, music and sports stars (soccer) are being introduced to the USA. So don't discount the possibility that in the future Spanish may be the next dominating language of the USA.

What sort of pompous statment is this: "And even if there were so many Spanish-speakers in America, there are a lot of Americans who would not put up with this and move to more English-speaking areas." Jeese, by your logic, the native Americans should have all moved to the north pole so as to escape the torture of having to speak English and thereby continue to live on what was at the time THEIR land. They probably had similar thoughts to you - "why can't these invaders just speak in our tongue?".
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 08:00 GMT
They most certainly can adapt and speak Spanish. However, if one wants to "succeed" (although I admit this is a vague notion), learning English is a must. Plus as I said, the sons and daughters of Hispanic immigrants all grow up speaking both Spanish and English (generally Spanish at home and English at school and at work). While a linguistic change is possible (I suppose anything is possible in this world), I'd say it's highly unlikely.