Non-Standard English

Hythloday   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 11:41 GMT
Re: "It's a shame that so many of the Brits on here want to keep this from being an objective forum and instead use it to display their inferiority complexes considering that their country is just an economic puppet of the United States now."

Ha ha ha. Do you seriously think it is possible to be dispassionate about anything? "There is no such thing as cold objectivity" (Plater, 1969: ix), and the moment we key a character into our computers we are engaging in a political act. Your 'holier than thou' sentiments are exactly what I'd expect from a morally superior and intellectually vacuous Yank. True to type, as always.
To MjD   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 14:40 GMT
The apples, sticks, and Oranges... was a polite way, for telling you:
You are so stupid that I would have to use them to explain things to you.

Then, I am not going to waste my time, explaining you, the correlation between the Past, present and probably future of your nation. Which as a Pyramid analogy, would give you the whole perspective and would end answering by itself, why your idea and opinion about Spanish, as a potential language in the USA, is so arrogant, autocratic and closed.
Open your eyes, USA is not the entire World,You better grow up, and may be later, may be, then, we can cross a few words more.
BTW. Jay seems to be more aware of the surrounding reality.

TEMPORA MUTANTUR, ET NOS MUTAMUR IN ILLIS
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 15:26 GMT
to TO MJD,

My God you're a dimwit. Perhaps I need these apples and oranges you speak of to teach you to read properly.

Read my original post. It had nothing to do with U.S. superiority, politics, etc. It had to do with Spanish being spoken in the United States. As to why you're addressing your tangents to me.... I have no clue. I don't care how "aware" you think I am.

I expressed my opinion that I don't think Spanish would become the language of the U.S. What has this to do with the U.S. "being the whole world!!!???" Explain to me where I was being arrogant and how I need to open my eyes. So far you haven't.

In addition, if you, my friend, are saying that Spanish speakers in the U.S. are a source of decadence and decay, then you are definitely a grade A racist. It seems that this is your opinion judging by what you've written (I go by what people post, rather than applying off topic matters like yourself). So my advice to you...don't be such a bigot.
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 15:40 GMT
"why your idea and opinion about Spanish, as a potential language in the USA, is so arrogant, autocratic and closed."

This is what you've failed to address...how this will happen and how this relates to hegemonic status (If you're saying the US will never last forever...no shit, I agree with you...nothing does).

Now the only conclusion I can draw from this is that YOU think Spanish speakers are a source of decay within the U.S. All I said was I don't see Spanish becoming the dominant language over English. Somehow you took this as your cue to go off about a whole bunch of other matters and then address them to me.

Like I said, seeing that you relate Spanish with a downfall, I conclude you're nothing but a racist prick. You've got some nerve being all high and mighty.
To MjD   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 16:37 GMT
JAJAJAJJA. Classic way of answering from an impulsive man.
Now, who is the racist? You.
As I really care the proper use of words, and for being consistent with myself, I am not going to answer your poor opinions anymore. You are so boring.
HASTA LA VISTA... you myopic.

HOMO HOMINI LUPUS EST

BTW. Spanish is a beautiful language too.
mjd   Thursday, October 02, 2003, 20:15 GMT
hahaha......myopic

"I am not going to answer your poor opinions anymore."

Anymore???.....So far, you've said a lot, but answered none of them. "Homo homini lupus est".....yes, man is a wolf to his fellow man....but obscure quotes in Latin still do not answer the question I posed to you. You need to focus, "to mjd",focus.

Isn't bickering on a message board fun?
Clark   Friday, October 03, 2003, 02:34 GMT
To get back to the Spanish in America bit; I just read an interesting thing on www.nationmaster.com

Top 10 countries that have the majority of Spanish-speakers are:

Mexico
Columbia
Argentina
Spain
United States
Venezuela
Peru
Chile
Cuba
Ecuador

Hmm...United States in number 5. Regardless, I still think that the United States will always have a majority of English-speaking people.
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 02:55 GMT
There is no doubt that the Hispanic population is growing rapidly and will continue to do so. I don't see Spanish overcoming English because the second generation is always bilingual. Eventually, I'd imagine the same type of assimilation will occur as it did to the sons and daughters of European immigrants.
Ryan   Friday, October 03, 2003, 03:17 GMT
Re: Ha ha ha. Do you seriously think it is possible to be dispassionate about anything? "There is no such thing as cold objectivity" (Plater, 1969: ix), and the moment we key a character into our computers we are engaging in a political act. Your 'holier than thou' sentiments are exactly what I'd expect from a morally superior and intellectually vacuous Yank. True to type, as always.

Just because objectivity has been disproven doesn't give you license to act like an ass. The more you respond to me, the more you demonstrate your latent inferiority complex. Give it up and let's get along because your country obviously hates the rest of Europe much more than the United States, so go back to "whinging" about the French instead.

Ryan
Clark   Friday, October 03, 2003, 05:23 GMT
Exactly. I do not think this will ever happen because of the descendents of the immigrants. Aso, I think we might be forgetting that the international language is English; this means that Americans are not going to want to speak a different language because to get ahead means speaking English, so why switch to another language?
mjd   Friday, October 03, 2003, 05:46 GMT
Clark,

Well that could possibly fall into the argument that that numbskull was trying to make to me earlier. English being the lingua franca has to do with the British Empire and America's hegemonic status. If the U.S. were no longer the hegemon, then there would be a drive to learn the new lingua franca. However, this does not change the native language of the country, which in the U.S. is English (despite the fact it's not official...there's no doubt that it is).

Putting all hegemonic issues aside, I don't see English falling behind Spanish because it's the language of the U.S. just as German is the language of Germany, French is the language of France, etc. etc. English is spoken by many throughout Europe, but they still all retain their native languages....this has nothing to do with world politics, hegemons, or what have you. It was this detail that the foolish individual with whom I was speaking can't seem to grasp for the life of him/her.
Clark   Friday, October 03, 2003, 06:06 GMT
I did not read that person's post because I felt whoever it is (I did not even bother to look at the name) is just a jerk. I just want to deal with people who are sincere and honest here. If they go all off on a tantrum over stupid things, who needs them.

Anyways, I still stand firm in the belief that English will always be the lnaguage of America because that is the way a lot of non-Hispanic Americans feel.

I think that I am done in this thread.
Hythloday   Friday, October 03, 2003, 13:15 GMT
This is fun. I think we are actually beginning to see some REAL opinions coming out here. Excellent. I'm sorry if I offended anyone earlier, but I just wanted to get a reaction and to hear people's opinions on this topic. I love Spanish, and don't think it is inferior to any other language. I also love the US and was in New York on 9/11.

Serious question here: is English actually recognised as the official language of the US at present? Do immigrants, when swearing the oath of allegiance, also have to promise to learn to speak English? I ask, because the British government is about to bring in a citizenship pledge which includes a promise to learn English. Many people disagree with this measure.
To SuperUnitedStatesians MjD-Clark-Ryan   Friday, October 03, 2003, 15:21 GMT

jajajajja
Ohhh Great Masters of Universe!
Your wisdom and knowledge of the world are so vast...
jajajjaja
Ryan   Friday, October 03, 2003, 16:39 GMT
No, the United States does not have an "official" language, but I do believe that English is the language that is designated to be used for matters of government.

Ryan