Language-to-Language Quotes

Da Frogg   Monday, September 29, 2003, 07:57 GMT
Dutch is not a language. It's a throat disease.
(I heard that on the radio, a few days ago.)
Simon   Monday, September 29, 2003, 08:06 GMT
That's just silly. Welsh is further from English than Spanish is.
Da Frogg   Monday, September 29, 2003, 08:14 GMT
As almost all the other posts in this thread, it was meant to be silly...
It's just the way I feel about Welsh. And about Breton (which I understand a little bit, and which is very very close to Welsh.)
My own stone for the edifice...   Monday, September 29, 2003, 12:28 GMT
Japanese is what occurs when Italians try to be Chinese.
Landgren   Monday, September 29, 2003, 13:45 GMT
But don't you all agree that Dutch sounds like someone speaking backwards... I wonder what would happen if you recorded Dutch and reversed it... perhaps it would come out as Swedish.
Jim   Monday, September 29, 2003, 23:51 GMT
New Zealand English is Australian English after you swap all the vowels.
SagaSon   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 03:34 GMT
Portuguese language is the shame of the romance languages, and possibly the shame of all languages.
Clark   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 04:03 GMT
Portuguese is what happens when the Spanish language gets character.

SHUT UP SAGASON!!!
Clark   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 06:02 GMT
Afrikaans is what happens when English-speakers make their language phonetic.
Clark   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 06:05 GMT
Afrikaans is what happens when you strip Dutch of all grammar.
Jim   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 06:38 GMT
Tamil is what happens if you take Japanese and change the writing system, the grammar rules, the way the language is pronounced and all the vocabulary.
Juan   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 07:53 GMT
What, what, what!? I don't know what your problem is Clark but you are certainly getting on my nerves. Look I most definitely do not have any problems with the Portuguese language (although it does sadden me that I am not able to communicate with my fellow Brazilian brothers in Latin America). Portuguese speakers just speak so fast and, I dont know, nasal aswell. Its true that some Portuguese speakers understand what I say when I speak in Spanish but the reverse is certainly not the case. Spanish certainly has character. Simply listen to any Argentinian, Chilean, Peruvian, Colombian, Mexican or Central American. Perhaps you were referrring to the so called "Castillian" Spanish from Spain(since as you might not know, Castellano(Castillian) is the word I and many others not from Spain usually use to describe the language we speak in "America Latina"), which I would agree does lack a bit of something, but I don't know if its character.
mjd   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 08:02 GMT
Juan,

Clark was just joking. Calm down people....this thread is supposed to be funny.
A.S.C.M.   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 08:26 GMT
Aye. This thread is just to let people let off whatever they have in their brains because the rest of this forum is too uptight about being politically correct.

It's a bit like a "freedom of speech" booth though it's meant to be a joke, not an insult.
Simon   Tuesday, September 30, 2003, 08:27 GMT
French is just Latin spoken by Cockneys.