Dinner or Supper

sima   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 01:27 GMT
Miam miam, I love tea with milk but the French don't drink tea with milk. They think they are somewhat more connoisseurs than British because they don't drink tea with milk.
zi   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 01:46 GMT
Rugger
Very interesting ! I didnot know the Australians are tea drinkers like the British.
I like that word you used "staunch". My English teacher (English) told me that staunch is a little bit dated. Is it the same in Australia ? Anyway, I like to use old English words.
peggy   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 01:48 GMT
Yes Rugger. Herbal tea with milk is not good.
Jim   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 01:50 GMT
Just like Rugger says, it isn't odd to call dinner "tea". It's just as natural as "left", "right" and "wrong". The opposite of "wrong" is "right" but the opposite of "right" is "left" but "left" is the past tense/participle of "leave". Context makes things clear.
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:00 GMT
Hello, Mjd:

I suppose I'm used to preparing hot tea with milk so I don't think it's an annoying affair. I do it at least five times for my family every day: once for breakfast, once for tea time, once after dinner, and a couple of times in between. We are avid tea-drinkers and we will peeve you if we go to your restaurant. You'll probably have to fetch us additional hot water, additional sugar, and additional milk. :o)
Jim   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:23 GMT
You'd probably better give him additional tips.
Rugger   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:25 GMT
I'm like you A.S.C.M in that I am the tea maker in my family. When I was younger I found making tea for my parents to be tiresome (especially where you have to either strain the loose tea yourself or squeeze tea bags for each cup), but now I actually find the process to somewhat calming (it's so routine that you don't have to think while doing it).
Milkman   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:37 GMT
Yeah, In Australia french fries/chips, ketchup/tomato sauce, sometimes tea/dinner, restroom/toilet.
Milkman   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 02:41 GMT
French fries/chips, ketchup/tomato sauce, tea/dinner, restroom/toilet are totally different things
Jim   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 04:00 GMT
What are you trying to say, Milkman?

The words "French fries", "ketchup" and "restroom" are not used in Australian English and dinner is sometimes called "tea".

These things you mention are not really totally different things in any absolute sense.

What the Canadians and Americans call "French fries" the rest of us call "chips". What the British call "crisps" the Canadians, Australians, Kiwis and Americans call "chips".

What is usually refered to as "dinner" or "supper" the Aussies sometimes call "tea", though we still call the drink "tea".

As for "restroom", I think enough has been written about this, it's called a "toilet" outside of North America.

They're just words used differently in different dialects.
Milkman   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 04:20 GMT
Suppose, someone in Australia said, I would like to have some tea, and they meant, I would like to have some dinner, and they said, when are you going to make my tea. Well, guess what they shouldn't complain if they find a glass of tea on the table.

I would like some tomato sauce on my french fries or they say it ''chips''. They shouldn't complain if someone's openned a can of pasta tomato sauce on their fries, why did you do that? You said you wanted tomato sauce on your french fries.
to Milkman   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 04:58 GMT
Nobody would be that stupid.
Clark   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 05:51 GMT
"Tea" for many of my family in England means a meal at 5.00pm-ish. My biggest meal would definately be dinner/supper/the meal at night at 7.00pm-ish or so. Lately, I have been having "tea" with my grandparents because a cousin of mine is staying with them from England, so we have been getting some English meals for the last week.
Jim   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 06:21 GMT
Milkman,

Exactly, nobody would be that stupid. We know what we are talking about. We use the words we use. People don't get confused the way you suggest. It's all a matter of context.

I've tried to explain that there is a difference in the way words are used in different dialects. If you would rather remain naïve and ignorant, go ahead, it's no skin of my nose.

Suppose someone were to say "I'm going to the restroom." and then they went to the toilet. They shouldn't complain if their friend asks them why they went to the toilet for a rest ... should they?

Rather absurd logic, isn't it? This arguement I've just given makes about as much sense as the one you've put to us above.

It is by context that we can tell the meaning of the words "tea", "chips" and "tomato sauce". Don't go proving yourself to be the kind of moron who can't comprehend as simple a thing as context.

Those imaginary people in your nonsense situations would have every right to complain. Propose to lecture us on the meaning of words, do you?
A.S.C.M.   Wednesday, November 12, 2003, 06:25 GMT
Ahhh, how refreshing. I am currently enjoying some tea...and now I down my second draught of tea just as an alcoholic would do with his liquor.

To Milkman:
No one would confuse "some tea" with "some dinner". After all, no one would say "I would like to have some dinner." On the other hand, "I would like to have tea" is more likely to be confused.