Valentines days-February
St. Patric's Day-March
Easter-April
Independence day-July 4,
Halloween-October
Thanksgiving-November
Christmas-December
Richard   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 01:07 GMT
Oh yeah, sometimes it would sound crazy to say ''pop'' for soda because it would sound like you want a pop in the face. Suppose someone told someone that they wanted a pop and then the other person gave them a pop in the face. Hey why did you pop.
A.S.C.M.   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 06:54 GMT
Hmmm, Richard, why did you include St. Patrick's day in a list of American holidays? Is the Irish community really so significant where you live?
Californian   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 07:12 GMT
Ya ASCM St Patty's day is huge in SF
Clark   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 09:10 GMT
Isn't it a gay parade or sommit?
Get Your Irish Up   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 10:23 GMT
St. Paddy's day is a big day in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, and Chicago, as well.

What does St. Paddy's day have to do with gays? Shouldn't the gay parade take place on Gay Pride Day?
Richard   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 15:33 GMT
It's ''St. Patric's Day'' not ''St. Patty's Day''.
mjd   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 18:12 GMT
It's actually St. Patrick's day and "Paddy" is short for Patrick ("Patty" is short for Patricia), hence the popular nickname St. Paddy's day.

Any parade in San Francisco is going to have a large gay element because of its large gay population.
Rugger   Sunday, November 23, 2003, 22:34 GMT
Well in Melbourne, Australia, we get a holiday for a horse race - the Melbourne Cup. It's said that the whole nation stops to watch this particular horse race and most people place bets on it. The entire event is covered on local TV, especially the fashion of people attending the races.
A.S.C.M.   Monday, November 24, 2003, 01:09 GMT
San Francisco...ugh. Fine, it's not as bad as Los Angeles but still, ugh, especially the Castro district.
Templar   Tuesday, November 25, 2003, 04:36 GMT
Oh my God! Tea with milk? It must taste horribly!
Jim   Thursday, November 27, 2003, 01:29 GMT
No, it doesn't taste horribly. Tea cannot taste horribly for it has got no taste buds nor has it got a brain. What you mean is "It must taste horrible." Well, I don't think it tastes horrible. It all depends on what kind of tea you're talking about. Some kinds taste great with milk other kinds taste better without but it's all a matter of taste.

In Sydney, Australia, we don't get a holiday for the Melbourne Cup. However, that doesn't mean we don't stop to watch the race. Although no holiday is given one is certainly taken. We all stop work/school in the afternoon: it's an unofficial holiday ... which is sort of more fun than an official one (albeit only half a day).

I don't think that anyone has caught on to what I was on about with Thanksgiving. It was an interesting piece of trivia given to us by Julian but he's not quite right when he says "Thanksgiving always falls on the last Thursday of November." Nor is Richard right with "Thanksgiving-November". They are both overlooking something important. Here's another question "Isn't Thanksgiving observed on the second Monday in October?" (there's a hint).
Turkey Day   Thursday, November 27, 2003, 02:40 GMT
27 November is Thanksgiving in America this year.

Traditional Dinner includes: A baked turkey (hence the nick-name Turkey day), a large ham, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, bread, pumkin pie, and beverages. Many families also serve family related recipes passed down from generations past. Families and friends join each other in feasts which can last for days sometimes.

Thanksgiving is celebrated as a reminder of the thanks the first European settlers felt for surviving the harsh winters of the new world, although many did die from exposure and disease.

For some reason, the names Miles Standish and John Smith come to mind.
Jim   Thursday, November 27, 2003, 04:15 GMT
Sounds delicious.

What's puzzling me is that if it were "a reminder of the thanks the first European settlers felt for surviving the harsh winters of the new world", as you say, then why have it in Autumn?

I can't explain why those names come to mind. John Smith was the one who started that wacky cult known as Mormonism by inventing some far-fetched story about golden tablets in a cave. Miles Standish was an English Purtian who went to America on the Mayflower and fought the natives.

How would it have been if he were called "Miles Standoffish"? ... Okay, now I'm just being silly.
Das Behaelter   Saturday, November 29, 2003, 02:07 GMT
Hi Jim @:o)

It was my post you were responding to. What I meant to say was the indians helped the first settlers gather food for the winter and prepare for the coming season. The settlers showed their thanks by inviting the indians to a feast to show their thanks.

It wasn't until later, during western expansionism that certain tribes feared, and tried to repell, the new comers.

For a piece of trivia, I am related to Sacagawea, who led Louis and Clark on their expedition to the west.