Differences between American & British English

sanjena   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 19:11 GMT
I want 50 word that is different in english amerecan and british?
David Bosch   Saturday, July 26, 2003, 19:17 GMT
Visit www.effingpot.com, there you can find over a thousand according to the editor.
Guofei Ma   Sunday, July 27, 2003, 20:47 GMT
How do YOU pronounce "banana"?

/b^na:n^/ (buh-nah-nuh), which is the way I pronounce it
OR
/b^n@n^/ (buh-næ-nuh)?
Ryan   Monday, July 28, 2003, 05:05 GMT
I pronounce it "b^n@n^" You are becoming a Brit, Guofei.

Ryan
franke potente   Monday, July 28, 2003, 06:00 GMT
and your becoming a real stupid yank. why do people use this word brit ? i hate it ! it is only americans that use this word.
Julian   Monday, July 28, 2003, 15:48 GMT
>>>why do people use this word brit ?

Probably the same reason everybody calls us Americans "Yanks," when we don't even call ourselves that (Not even the true Yankee descendents from the Northeast call themselves "Yanks"). It's a nickname. Just like Australians are "Aussies", New Zealanders are "Kiwis", and Canadians are "Canucks". And I doubt only Americans refer to Britons as "Brits".

And while we're on the subject...We're not amused by the term, "septic" either.
Guofei Ma   Monday, July 28, 2003, 22:31 GMT
By the way, I am not "becoming" a Brit, I AM a British Citizen/Briton/Brit/Englishman, whatever you want to call me, even though I live in the United States.
Ryan   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 05:29 GMT
Well, then you know how us Yanks pronounce our bananas, then. There are some pronunciations that Brits do that I always laugh at. The way you guys pronounce "garage" always makes me snicker. Have you been laughed at at all in the States because of the way you pronounce words?

Ryan
mjd   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 08:09 GMT
I always find the British pronunciation of the word "controversy" to be amusing....as I'm sure they would find mine.
Simon   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 09:05 GMT
Aha... I pronounce it: c[schwa]nTROVVuhsee

But my brother pronounces it: CONtr[schwa]vursee

Which is more the American way?
Tom   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 09:30 GMT
Both versions are OK in BrE (according to the Collins English Dictionary).
Your brother's version ['kon tr.. ve:(r) si(:)] is the only one used in AmE.
Simon   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 10:01 GMT
Aha, I always knew he didn't fit.
Ryan   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 17:17 GMT
"Advertisement" is another one that speakers in both countries are familiar with where the stress shifts to another syllable. The way the two countries abbreviate the word differs too. They are ads in the US, but adverts in the UK.

Ryan
Lana   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 19:01 GMT
How about "privacy" ? The same syllable is accented, but the i is long (US) or short (UK)--makes me think of the word "privvy" where of course you would want your privvycy lol.
Krista Anderson   Tuesday, July 29, 2003, 19:55 GMT
Any advice on the sh and ch problem? I have a student from Venezuela who has the same problem. I'm just realizing now that the ch in Spanish is a little softer than in English...