Differences between American & British English

Lainie   Thursday, March 25, 2004, 05:01 GMT
I'm American but in my opinion, the British accent is far more pleasing to the ears. Do you Brits prefer hearing your own accent or do you like the American accent as well?
Chilli   Thursday, March 25, 2004, 15:07 GMT
It's probably very personal. I like Bristol accent best of all.
jo   Thursday, March 25, 2004, 17:04 GMT
i much prefer the british accent- it does vary a lot though- northeners sound very different from southerners, for example. i love the irish accent- and geordies!
Gary   Friday, March 26, 2004, 02:00 GMT
Americans say bum for butt, and they say ground level for the 1st floor too.
mjd   Friday, March 26, 2004, 02:54 GMT
No, I'd say the majority of us [Americans] say "butt." "Bum" sounds kind of babyish.
Lainie   Friday, March 26, 2004, 04:45 GMT
I'd have to agree with mjd about the bum/butt thing.
Still, I'd love to go to London, just to hear the people talk.
becky (britian)   Sunday, March 28, 2004, 22:20 GMT
hi i realy love your american accents and i wanted to now if people in america liked british accents .
Ben   Monday, March 29, 2004, 14:06 GMT
The only accents that American's hate are there own regional dialects, especially New York and Southern. The typical American usually feels that:
British Accent=cute, refined
Irish=sexy
Canadian, Australian, New Zealand=funny as hell
i   Monday, March 29, 2004, 14:29 GMT
like the french and spanish one
Lainie   Tuesday, March 30, 2004, 21:58 GMT
I'm American, and no, I don't hate the regional dialects. I love the New York and Boston accents, it's only the "red-neck" type I don't like.
The British accent would probably be my most favorite of the European accents.
jo   Wednesday, March 31, 2004, 15:02 GMT
'Americans say bum for butt'

i would have said it was the other way around- i hear loads of americans (on tv etc) saying 'butt'- but loads of british people i know say 'bum'- although 'arse' may be a bit more common...
Xatufan   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 21:42 GMT
Hello everyone!!! I am not from an English-speaking country. I'm from a Spanish-speaking country. I have learnt English at school.
And if you haven't noticed, I wrote "learnt" in the last sentence. Is that correct? Or should I write "learned" like everyone? Is it correct if I write burnt, leant or dreamt instead of burned, leaned or dreamed? Help me, please!
PD: If I mispell some words, please let me know.
Just_Me   Sunday, April 04, 2004, 22:36 GMT
The only word you 'mispell' is 'mispell' the correct one would be misspelled
another thing,I think you ment 'p.s' not 'pd' as far as I know 'pd' means 'police department',if you ever seen the TV show 'LAPD'(Los angeles police department) that's the 'pd' I'm talking about

about the 'burnt,learnt,dreamt' etc. thing,it used mostly by British pepole I'm not sure if it's grammatical correct but it does used a lot in the UK.
I don't really like it cause I prefer writing words the way its pronunced and 'learnt' doesn't sounds right,but like I said,it does get used a lot.
mjd   Monday, April 05, 2004, 03:21 GMT
Xatufan,

Learnt, burnt, etc. is British English.

Learned, burned, etc. is American English.

They're all correct.
Jordi   Monday, April 05, 2004, 15:06 GMT
P.S means Post Scriptum in Latin
P.D means Post Datum in Latin
The Spaniards prefer the latter to the former.