Differences between American & British English

Simon   Monday, April 05, 2004, 15:21 GMT
Ok, that's great for Spanish. But in English, most people won't understand P.D. And in French it'll raise a smile.
raj   Friday, April 09, 2004, 00:48 GMT
It is easy to understand American english but British english cannot
Kevin (/)   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 01:08 GMT
Xatufan,

I've never heard anybody write learnt, etc. Except for burnt, for example: My steak is burnt. I would come to a conclusion that burnt, learnt, etc. are spoken language. Most people write it as learned, and burned but say it as learnt, burnt. In my above message I was defending President Bush from a previous remark in the beginning of the forum.
Kevin   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 01:09 GMT
Xatufan,
I'm interested, what country are you from?

I'm from Atlanta, Georgia
Kevin   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 01:16 GMT
Who is this Peter Pan? What are you Michael Jackson (he thinks he's peter pan)? I do agree with you on the part that you said about how British say cart as caht, etc. I think, however, that English is English wherever it is from. It really doesn't matter. I do think that the coolest accent is the southern U.S. accent (country accent). I live around many people who speak with that kind of accent. I don't talk like that though. Southern accents get a bad rep cuz the yankees think it sounds unintelligent. There are a lot of intelligent southerners with big vocabs, though.
)   Saturday, April 10, 2004, 18:42 GMT
a
l   Sunday, April 11, 2004, 00:23 GMT
american   Sunday, April 11, 2004, 00:31 GMT
I agree with kevin in that there are many differences between u.s. dialects. Im from denver, but i like the southern accent. it seems like a very peaceful accent. I also know some southerners and they, like kevin said, have big vocabularies. I don't really like how Lainie said that people hate the way 'red-necks' talk. After all, our President, President Bush, is very intelligent and he's from the south (Crawford, Texas).
Adam   Sunday, April 11, 2004, 18:01 GMT
What drugs are you on? President Bush isn't intelligent. he's the exact opposite. Maybe it is true when they say that Americans are unintelligent because you must be unintelligent in thinking that Bush is intelligent.
Jo   Sunday, April 11, 2004, 20:57 GMT
I've used 'learnt' before...
Crab Bloke   Monday, April 12, 2004, 01:06 GMT
American English is turning into E-bonics, beware. I'm American and I'm disgusted by how dumb people are getting over here. I wish I were English. I'd also have a kick arse accent and say "arse" all the time.
Ben   Monday, April 12, 2004, 18:13 GMT
I don't think American English is turning into Ebonics necessarily, though I would say that many working-class urban areas of America have developed a dialect very much influenced by Black Vernacular English (hence Eminem's accent, which sounds nothing like a Michigander).
amy   Monday, April 12, 2004, 22:02 GMT
There are many different accents within britain and whenever Americans do a British accent they always make it sound posh which is not the case. I can think of many accents in BRitain which do not sound posh such as liverpudlian, Glaswegian, Welsh, Geordie and many more. I also don't get why Americans spell words differently to the English language. Afterall the English language was invented here so the spelling of words should follow the English dictionary.
mjd   Monday, April 12, 2004, 22:14 GMT
Amy,

See the other thread on English/American spelling and Kirk provides a good explanation as to why there are differences in spelling. Other than Noah Webster's desire to be different, the vast majority of the words are spelled the same so I don't think it's a big deal.

As far as the language and how it's spoken...of course it's going to change as is the case with French, Spanish, Portuguese in the New World.

The English language wasn't "invented" in England as one would invent some type of device or gadget. It developed in England and as it spread, it developed in the other Anglophone countries as well.
Matthew Pitt   Tuesday, April 13, 2004, 15:42 GMT
I am British and have visited the US before. I love the americans. They are so nice. We do like american shows especially The Simpsons. It is always on television in England. I think English in Britain is easier to speak because we developed the language. Although we say chips instead of fries, crisps instead of potato chips and toilet instead of bathroom and restroom. I love you americans! From a British citizen.