Differences between American & British English

Ryan   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 05:38 GMT
I don't think people overseas think American accents are as sexy because they hear them all the time in movies and on the television. After a while, people probably get sick of them.
jo   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 12:30 GMT
it depends on the specific accent really- in general im not a fan of the american accent though.
Damian   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 14:20 GMT
Sara: as a young British guy I have to be brutally honest....sorry, but I find most American accents unattractive...now I guess I am crap in your opinion but I "speaketh as I findeth..or heareth". American girls in particular can have pretty awful accents... lovely on the eye of the beholder maybe but...erm, not so good on the ear....harsh, high in decibels and they talk too fast and gabble their words. That is my experience of the US students I have met during my time at uni here in England. While on this topic, why do Americans tend to talk so loudly anyway? It makes the accent even less attractive.

Well, you DID ask! :-)

I love the US "Friends"....RIP! :-( ...and "Will and Grace" on US TV but like all other American sitcoms they are always yelling at each other. I see loads of American tourists in my home city and........
jo   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 16:29 GMT
i agree- americans do seem to always talk really loudly- american accents always seem to sound quite hard in comparison to english ones too which are rather soft.

(i love Friends too! been a huge fan almost from the beginning :-( its so sad its over- but then there was only so much further they could have gone with it- fingers crossed Joey will be good! not a fan of Will and Grace though because i dont like the characters- Jack and Karen are great- but Will and Grace i find irritating)
Xatufan   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 18:34 GMT
Don't you find Indian accent sexy too? (With Indian I mean "from India in Asia"). I found the following joke in a book:

I thought he was Hindu; he was British.
I thought he had a boa; he had a little worm.

(Sorry, I have to stop reading these books...)
Xatufan   Saturday, May 29, 2004, 18:39 GMT
Why do English people write "amongst" or "whilst", when they can simply write "among" and "while"?
Juan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 00:18 GMT
Because it's fancier and sounds more sophisticated
Juan   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 00:22 GMT
Why do the English have to be such bigots.

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9670962%255E13780,00.html

Bad pommy slut. And her kind should never had usurped land that never belonged to them and killed innocent natives with their filthy diseases.
Sara   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 04:36 GMT
Damian I don't think you are crap at all! I am an American and I find most American accents to be boring, I respect your honesty, and I will be forever jealous of your cute British accent : )
Sara   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 04:42 GMT
Xatu- Actually I havent heard enough Indian accents to give you an honest opinion. I am from Utah and we don't get many people with Indian accents here. I'll keep listening for one though.
Sara   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 04:54 GMT
As for the American yelling thing- I don't know why some Americans seem to yell at each other, maybe because they listen to their music very loudly and their hearing is damaged. It's a mystery. I don't think that all Americans speak loudly though, I guess it depends which part of America you are from and/or how good your hearing is.
mjd   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 05:45 GMT
Here in New Jersey there are a lot of people from India...I hear the accent all the time.
Julian   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 07:49 GMT
"I think Australian and British accents are so incredibly sexy. Does anyone find American accents as hot as we think British and Aussie accents are?"

I just got back from Australia this past week (Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Gold Coast). Just before hitting the clubs, my male Aussie friend told me that I'd be popular because the "shielas really go for an American accent." I don't know if that's true, but quite a few ladies told me that they liked my accent.

On another note, my cousin's husband was always imitating/mocking the way I said certain words but he kept over-enunciating the "r's" and shifting the "o's" into "ae" sounds like a Midwesterner.
Damian   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 07:53 GMT
Sara: I'm glad you didnt take anything I said personally but I am the kind of guy who "tells it as I see it" ... no point in being otherwise. Anyway, a person's accent is just incidental...you can't really judge a person from HOW they speak....maybe you can from WHAT they say and the manner in which they say it. What really WOULD be boring is having everyone speaking English in exactly the same accent, whatever that accent is! Don't you think variety is cool? I do.

Actually, the accent I find THE most irritating is one here in the UK....I won't say which one! hee hee! For cringeworthiness it beats anything you have in the USA or anywhere else for that matter. But it's just my personal opinion. But as I say, it's incidental. We are all people. Cheers.
Ginny Weasley   Sunday, May 30, 2004, 08:49 GMT
British accents....CUTE????????? I never thought of them that way. I think speaking English with a Russian accent is kind of cute, though.