Differences between American & British English

Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 13:22 GMT
johanna: ok do your own thing then......it's your privilege but please use capital letters in words like English and American (proper nouns), yeah? OMG! That word "proper" again.... :-)
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 13:24 GMT
sorry.....Johnna! Typo. Unusual name if you don't mind me saying so...never seen it before.
Ben   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 14:40 GMT
I have not heard "bad" used in that way since about 1986. Like "gnarly" and "radical," it was a bit of 1980's American slang that, like Jeri Curls, went out of style by the 90's.

America nowadays is more influenced by hip-hop vernacular.
mjd   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 17:52 GMT
Johnna,

I wasn't aware of your age. Sure it's not a bid deal on the Internet, but being that this site is dedicated to learning English, we (the native speakers) try to write well. Many people on this site aren't native speakers and it sets a good example if one makes an effort to write correctly.
mjd   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 19:41 GMT
*big deal
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 21:34 GMT
AMERICAN SLANG:
1) 'Sup=hello
2) homie=friend
3) dawg=friend
4) fo shizzle= well acctually i have no clue what that means really.
5) crib=house
6) bounce=leave
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 21:36 GMT
Oh, I dont mind I like my name being weird, it fits my personality
johnna   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 21:37 GMT
Well, I am writing correctly now since all you people are bugging me about it.
Damian   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 22:08 GMT
Good for you, Johnna. Your last message was perfect. I did not say your name was weird......unusual does not mean weird, my wee lassie. (That is Scottish, in case you did not know).

We were not bugging you...just encouraging you. Thanks for the Slang posting. They were all new to me. I could bamboozle you no end with LOADS of Scottish terms if you feel you could stand it!

It's pretty late on the clock right now so I bid ye guid nicht fae ......England, actually......as I am awa' fae hame at uni
Eugenia   Thursday, June 10, 2004, 23:15 GMT
Ok, Eugenia first of all im a SHE--> I'm sorry.
Snoop   Friday, June 11, 2004, 01:13 GMT
"fo shizzle= well acctually i have no clue what that means really. "

It means "for sure," "certainly," "you got that right."
Xatufan   Friday, June 11, 2004, 02:31 GMT
Johnna: I'm 13 years old. I try to write every word with its correct spelling. It is quite difficult to me, since some words in English have capital letters and in my language (Spanish) they don't. Anyway, I'm writing this to tell you that THERE ARE young people who try to be understood. As Damian said, we aren't bothering you, just warning you.

I've found this weird but interesting list of words which are spelt different when they cross the Atlantic Ocean.

American British
connection connexion
curb kerb
gray grey
jail gaol
pajamas pyjamas

"Gaol" is a pretty strange word, since it is pronunced the same as jail /dzeil/ or something like that in IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet). It is the same as in gauge /geidz/, because generally "au" doesn't sound as /ei/, so that's very weird.

Someone: I'm from Ecuador (the country of Miss Universe 2004). It's in South America.
diana   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 12:14 GMT
hi every one
well i m not from USA or british im from arabic country its calles bahrain
i wanna to comment about amarican accent .
they always say adirty words when they talking or fighting even in the films so when u see these films u learn that bad words and we use it in our lives even in my country and another arabic country they use these words
and also if u wanna to learn english u should go to learn in english teachers
accent not amrican accent cuz they always eat some words and they talk fast that u could not anderstand them very well but british accent its very lovley accent and u can understand them very easy .
Xatufan   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 21:18 GMT
Diana: A Salam Aleikum! I investigated about your country. My encyclopedia says the capital is Manama.
It's true, some people use a lot of bad words, but this happens in every language, not only English.
You have misspelt the following words: "i m" is "I'm", "its calles" is "It's called", "adirty" is "dirty", "u" is always "you", "cuz" is "because", "anderstand" is "understand" and "lovly" is "lovely".
I don't know if you can say "wanna to". I think "wanna" has the "to" inside, but I'm not sure. Can someone help us with that?
You can always perfect your English!
Jeff   Saturday, June 12, 2004, 22:23 GMT
*. I'M --not-- im.

*. CALLED --not-- calles.

*. WANNA OR WANT TO --never-- wanna to.

*.AMERICAN --not-- american.

*. THEY ALWAYS SAY DIRTY WORDS WHEN THEY'RE TALIKNG OR FIGHTING
--not--
they always say adirty words when they talking or fighting .

*. You have to learn to use this, that, these and those.

*. UNDERSTAND --not-- anderstand.

*. LOVELY --not-- lovely.

*. The text isn't well structured.

*. WANNA is an americanism so if you don't like american english, don't use it.

Cuz is the same thing than 'Cause or because, it's right in US,
but i don't know if it's wrong in somewhere else.