Differences between American & British English

Xatufan   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 05:46 GMT
gays, hi every one
well i m not from USA or british im from arabic country its calles bahrain
i wanna to comment about amarican accent .
Damian   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 07:50 GMT
Xatufan: The first word of your last post! ..... that was so funny....sorry to sound as if I'm taking the piss but I don't think it applies to all of us in here! :-)
CG   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 11:05 GMT
Going back to the point of the thread, which was "Differences between American & British English" I have a little story.

You know on the side of Coke cans it has the word "Liter"? For years I had no idea what that meant. I thought maybe it was some kind of reference to the weight of the can, because to me that word looks like it should be pronounced lite-er. One day I was in the park with my friends, and they were being boring so I was studying my can intently and then, out of the blue, I just shouted "Litre! It means litre!". I looked like a fool.

And Xatufan, I think you meant "guys" and "American".
Vic   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 11:14 GMT
I would just like to point out to Xatufan that we British don't spell connexion like that, we do indeed spell it connection. Apart from on this student card thing where it is spelt connexion, I think in an attempt to look cool.
CG   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 11:33 GMT
Yes, Vic, indeed.
Damian   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 18:41 GMT
Xatufan: I apologise. I may grow up one day with a bit of luck :-)
Xatufan   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 19:55 GMT
Sorry, but I DIDN'T WRITE THAT MESSAGE! I did write the message where I put that weird list, but I DIDN'T write the message where guys and american are misspelt. (Perhaps my alter ego?) First, I know the difference between "gay" and "guy". And, calling an enormous, fat, super-strong guy a "gay" isn't very safe... Second, I'm not from Bahrein. Sometimes I have a nightmare about some strange Arabic letters that are chasing me in a weird squared floor (just as the floor in Cubeez; you should have seen that programme).

To GC and Vic: I'm sorry. I only copied the words from an almanac that had this section (I like to cheat sometimes). In my dictionary I searched "connection" and I found the following: "also connexion BrE", but now I think that my dictionary is a liar.

GC, your story is fantastic. I would like to have your imagination for stories. You could be the following Thomas Hardy :-) (I'm reading one of his novels right now).

Damian: And what exactly means "taking the piss"?
Xatufan   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 19:58 GMT
In a weird squared floor - I think I've made a mistake and is "on" instead of "in". I have a lot of problems with "in" and "on"!
........................................   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 19:59 GMT
CG   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 21:05 GMT
Taking the piss is sort of when you are making somebody look stupid on purpose, often by laughing at them or making jokes.
CG   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 21:17 GMT
Xatufan: Thank you for complementing my story, but it did not really take much imagination as it was true. And about the "gays" message not being yours, I fully believe you as the person who wrote it definitely did not have the competent grasp of English you have displayed in other messages. Also, I am slightly woried about your nightmare.
Vic   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 22:19 GMT
Make that two people worried about your nightmare.
Xatufan   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 22:21 GMT
Thank you, CG. And about my nightmare, I don't have it anymore. But I'm still afraid of other alphabets. Recently, my mum bought cookies in the supermarket; they were delicious but I didn't know they were exported to Arabia, so I almost threw the cookies when I saw that the ingredients were written in Arabic.
Vic   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 22:24 GMT
Why would you throw the cookies?
Xatufan   Sunday, June 13, 2004, 22:25 GMT
Not the cookies, the pack.