Native speakers, How can I get an American accent?

Bob   Monday, February 09, 2004, 18:46 GMT
and what's the standard accent about?
max power   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 16:45 GMT
to put on an american accent you should go native not native born wont ever be americans also it depends on a cultural background
Lavoisel   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 18:32 GMT
Max Power,

what do you think of Tom's accent (he is Polish)? Doesn't he sound like an American?

http://www.antimoon.com/sound/tom_cradle.mp3
Khatiya   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 20:58 GMT
I never knew Tom was Polish...interesting. The standard American accent is said to be the Mid-Western or LA, California accent. Its the one on the news and the one celebrities speak, or at least the ones on tv.

Also...completly off topic but...Isn't it strange that so many shows take place in NY, but are filmed in LA and performed by actors from LA, sop they dont sound like NYers at all?
Elaine   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 21:52 GMT
"Also...completly off topic but...Isn't it strange that so many shows take place in NY, but are filmed in LA and performed by actors from LA, sop they dont sound like NYers at all? "

That's one of my main gripe about "Friends". It's supposed to take place in NYC, but nobody but Joey sounds like they're from New York. Also, how on earth can those characters afford those large apartments with a view on their salary?
Khatiya   Tuesday, February 10, 2004, 22:27 GMT
I agree, but I had "What I Like About You" in mind. The truth is, you're right Elaine. There is no way a masoosse (did I spell that right?) can afford an apartment of her own, much less furniture from Pottery Barn. Yet "friends" continues to be the leading teenage comedy in the world. Strange no? The show is supposed to be very realistic. An apartment like Racheals and Monicas in Manhatten... I would value it as at least 3 million bucks. 2 mill as the minimum. I'm not lying here.

I question the ability of an actor to mimic accents. The truth is, most of them can't.
Rick   Thursday, February 12, 2004, 15:19 GMT
Do you remember "Mad about you?" what about those accents?
Ryan   Thursday, February 12, 2004, 20:42 GMT
I think Paul Reiser in Mad About You has a New York Jewish accent. Not sure about Helen Hunt.
What!!   Saturday, February 14, 2004, 01:28 GMT
I don't know anyone, who would pay 3 million bucks for an apartment like in friends. We're exaggerating just a little too much.
Drew   Saturday, February 14, 2004, 03:32 GMT
No, in all seriousness... those apartments are enormous for their location; I wouldn't be at all surprised by $2-3 million.
Elaine   Saturday, February 14, 2004, 05:45 GMT
According to Money magazine, the average cost of a 1,302 sq ft apartment in Manhattan (as of October of last year) was $916,959. Monica and Chandler's trendy Greenwich Village apartment (an area where people pay top dollar to outbid other apartment-hunters), with the spacious living room, dining area, kitchenette, two bedrooms, full bath, large windows, and balcony would probably cost well over 1.5 to 2 million. It was explained early on that Monica inherited the apartment from her deceased grandmother. But how does one explain how Ross was able to find an apartment of almost equal size just across the street and furnish it so beautifully on a paleontologist's salary?

Ah well, it's only fiction.
Test   Saturday, February 14, 2004, 18:22 GMT
??
maseusse   Sunday, February 15, 2004, 09:00 GMT
or something rather. masseuse.
Khatiya   Monday, February 16, 2004, 03:48 GMT
I've never heard of Mad About You. What channel is that on?

True, true, Elaine. It is only fiction.
Gina   Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 16:41 GMT
I don't find it hard to pick up accents. I don't always notice it, but I subconsciously adapt my accent to whoever I'm speaking to. My friend is from America, and when I was over her house, her mum thought I was from Seattle where they are from. But I speak 'Upper-Class' English at home with my parents, and more 'common' cockney-ish with other people.

I think that if you really set your mind to it, you can imitate an accent just by repetition. Although obviously some people may find it harder or easier, and could require help as from a diction coach or something. Anyway, it's just acting, I think. For me, anyway, changing the way I speak the English accent is no diffeent to convincing sonmeone I'm happy/sad/elated/crying/laughing etc etc on the stage. I just don't see how it's different, and why such a huge fuss is made over it...?