Accents of some famous stars

mjd   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 08:09 GMT
I checked his bio on the net. He was born in Brooklyn, but he grew up in New Hampshire so I don't think it was Brooklyn that shaped his accent.
Santiago   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 13:50 GMT
As I can see, there is no one New York's accent, so how can you recognize someone from New York?
Ryan   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 13:52 GMT
Most New Yorkers share some similar traits, such as their pronunciation of the "aw" sound as in "ball," which is very different than most other American accents.
pobre_diablo   Wednesday, February 25, 2004, 21:38 GMT
thats interesting cuz today in anthropology we watched a movie about the various american accents.
if u wanna recognize, a new ork accent, there are some traits that make it very distinguishable - almost no R after vowels and at the end of words, nasality, and and "al" is often pronounced as "aw" . eg. "talk" becomes "tawk" :)
Santiago   Thursday, February 26, 2004, 13:48 GMT
And what about speed? I think they speak faster, am I right?
Shogo   Thursday, February 26, 2004, 14:42 GMT
pobre_diablo,
I thought the word "talk" is pronounced like "tawk"([to:k]) by the majority of native speakers of English...? I've never heard someone say the word actually with an l sound before the k. Correct me if I'm wrong.
pobre_diablo   Thursday, February 26, 2004, 23:56 GMT
to Shogo:
many people in america pronounce it as :"tok", that is short "o" or sometimes it even sounds like "ah".
Paul   Friday, February 27, 2004, 17:57 GMT
There are 3 main New York accents.
Are you talking about a Brookln accent?
pobre_diablo   Friday, February 27, 2004, 18:33 GMT
Im speaking in general. Don't expect me to mae a thorough scientific analysis of that accent, please! :)
Shogo   Saturday, February 28, 2004, 16:27 GMT
pobre_diablo,
Thanks for your answer. Yeah I hear lots of people say something like "tahk" too:)
Jose   Monday, March 01, 2004, 13:53 GMT
Hey Paul,
Which are the three main New York accents you know? can you tell us something about each one? some specific characteristics maybe?
NIck   Friday, March 05, 2004, 15:07 GMT
I know the Brooklyn accent and its very nasal and thick
Ricco   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 14:06 GMT
I think all New yorkers have a nasal accent
Eduardo   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 14:08 GMT
hey , have you watched CSI Miami? do all actors in that series speak with the accent of Miami? is that the accent of that place???
Paul   Tuesday, March 09, 2004, 16:02 GMT
Many people in New York speak a standard American or Manhattan accent.

But I was talking about the 3 distinctively New York Accents that really mark you as being born and bred in New York.

People talk about borough-defined New York accents, (Brooklyn, Bronx, Harlem, Lower East Side) but, really, the different types of New York accents are all ethnically based.

You have the New York Jewish accent or Brooklyn accent, as typified by Jackie Mason or Fran Drescher. You have reversed "W"s and "V"s, and sometimes a German sounding R in the back of the throat. Other words are pronounced differently. For example, 'Cab' would sound more like 'cap'; 'nerve' would sound like 'nerf'; 'Army' would sound like 'ahme'

And then you have the less common New York Italian accent -- Robert De Niro or Tony Danza.

And finally there's the Irish New York accent, like Rosie O'Donnell or Mayor Giuliani. He must have grown up in an Irish Neighborhood.
Because even though he is not ethnically Irish, but he does speaks with a New York Irish speech pattern.

Regards, Paul V.