Your Accent!

Jordi   Monday, July 19, 2004, 07:56 GMT
Damian,
You forgot the capital letter in Random, which proves that it's a WWII propaganda legend. After all, the German language does put capital letters, as you know, both in common and proper nouns. How could they possibly believe that "at random" was a place?
Is it true that Lowlands Scots has a different literature and was a different language than English until very recent times when it has been absorbed by its powerful neighbour from the south?
Just in case you wonder, from an inconditional ally against any form of fascism, whether it be on the right or the left.
Jordi   Monday, July 19, 2004, 08:02 GMT
Please forgive me. I've just realised you were speaking of a radio broadcast and not of a written text. It could well have been they looked Random up, to check it if existed somewhere in Southern England. Too bad for the Germans.
Mi5 Mick   Monday, July 19, 2004, 08:24 GMT
I found your voice recording Jordi on that University of Kansas site mjd posted :)
nic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:39 GMT
At the beginning of the 20th century, some scottish found an island (close to Scotland) where people used to speak in scottish gealic, had kilts, leaved in a clan like it was the case for Scotland in the past befaore engliqh came and didn't anything about their compatriots neighbors. Is that true Damian?
nic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:42 GMT
and didn't know anything (sorry for the mystakes)
ferdinando   Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:51 GMT
Lolly,

I don't pretend it, but what you wrote was wrong. E alora fato piu bene!
Chris   Monday, July 19, 2004, 10:56 GMT

Random Chapie

?

in french

strate
stimuler
spécial
steno-dactylo
statistique
spéculer
strident
spolier
french guy   Monday, July 19, 2004, 17:54 GMT
Ferdinand is a freak and apretentious person. Don't listen to him. Ferdinand dégage! tu nous emmerdes, arrête de donner des leçons!
Random Chappie   Monday, July 19, 2004, 18:21 GMT
Oui, Chris, exactement.
Steve   Monday, July 19, 2004, 20:05 GMT
Hey everyone, sorry I haven't posted in this thread for a while, I've been busy.

I set up a section on my website to host accent samples. I think it will be interesting to be able to hear each other’s accents. Don't be shy! Make a recording of yourself and send it in.

Send samples to:
your_accent@ecyberspider.com

I'll host the samples on my website and post them here. When you send in a sample be sure to mention your forum name and your general location, just so we can place your accent.

If you don't know what to record, just find something to read on a news website (try cnn.com or news.bbc.co.uk).

I'll post a sample of myself as soon as I have a quiet house to record in.
Nic   Monday, July 19, 2004, 20:54 GMT
Bonsoir...ca va?

I'm not sure about this island you are thinking of. First of all, Scots Gaelic is most widely spoken today in those islands of the north west of Scotland called the Western Isles...the largest of which are the Hebrides (pronounced: ['heb-rid-i:z])* and the Isle of Skye. One of our friends in this forum lives there on the Isle of Lewis. I used to go there on holiday most years with my parents and sister.

You may be thinking of the remotest part of the entire UK ....an island 110 miles NW of the mainland of Scotland called St Kilda. It is a huge seabird sanctuary. It's small population was evacuated in 1930. Check it out on:

http://www.utopia-britannica.org.uk/pages/StKilda.htm

Or Fair Isle, between the Orkneys and Shetlands, which is habited and the home of the famous wool knitwear.

http://www.fairisle.org.uk/

I can't think of any other island that you may be thinking of but I would bet it is St Kilda.

* don't forget to REALLY sound the R! ...let it really roll! OK? Guid!
Damian   Monday, July 19, 2004, 21:27 GMT
Jordi:

no problem! ;-) Yes it was all do do with a radio broadcast and therefore aural.

Yes, literary Lowlands Scots (known now as Lallans) developed from a Scots language quite different from English. It is basically the literary version of the variety of English spoken in the Lowlands. The 20th century saw the creation of this mainstream literary variety of Scots, like some sort of Renaissance and looked to previous literary and dialect usages from the Lowlands for its distinctiveness and as you know is now a form of Standard English. People still using the old Scots dialects objected and called it "plastic Scots".

As with you, I don't go strong on any form of fascism. Some people view the SNP (Scottish National Party) as verging on that sometimes, but that's a matter of opinion.
Random Chappie   Monday, July 19, 2004, 22:43 GMT
Is the SNP anything like the BNP? Because if it were, that would be terrible, since the SNP seems to have widespread support in Scotland (second largest party by representation in the Scottish Parliament). I thought the SNP was nothing more than a group of separatist radicals but now that you've related the SNP to fascism, I'm beginning to feel a bit queasy.

[Currently listening to the Overture of Tchaikowsky's Nutcracker; it brings to mind pretty scenes of falling snow. Thinking of winter in England, or even better, Scotland...I hate the summer sun in California...snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow, in the bleak midwinter, long ,long ago.]
Pat   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 06:30 GMT
Sam Malone didn't have a Boston accent, come to think of it, none of the regular characters on "Cheers" had a Boston accent! Quite odd for a show that took place in a Boston bar where everybody knows your name.>>

Ive thought about this before and if you listen closely, Cliff the postal worker is the only one that resembles somthing of a New England accent. Its definatly not standard. And Karla sounds like she has a slight New York accent that has faded into somthing more standard. Its obvious the producers on the show didn't want a Boston accent to be a distraction from the comedy and material on the show--lets be honest, it is rather ear-banging if you live elsewhere in the country!
Pat   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 06:34 GMT
How many Irish accents are there? I have noticed at least two different Irish accents or what I preceive to be accents, does anyone have an idea of how many there are and what they sound like?

It just seems to me that some are more musical and flowing and some are very harsh and tightly wound. Some Irish remind me of Southerners when they speak, and there is reason for this of course.