Your Accent!

garans   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 10:33 GMT
Steve

I think that there could be 2 or 3 examples of an accent of a person.

First - when he speaks as usual in his mother tongue.
Second - when he speaks fluently and distinctly.
Third - when he speaks slowly in standard English, enunciating words and sounds.

If it is too much, a person may try only fluent talk.
What do you think?
Damian   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 20:05 GMT
Jordi:

No! The SNP is only concerned with separatism and more control over Scottish affairs! In NO way is it akin to the BNP! You obviously know what BNP policies are so I am sorry I made use of the word fascism in connection with the SNP. What I really mean to say was that some people consider SNP objectives to be unrealistic and unattainable as they would bring about an break up of the Union. That is not what the majority want that's for sure, even those who worship Wallace and his memory.

In no way is the SNP fascist in ANY way! Just a bit airy-fairy in some people's minds.

So you need not take any more anti queasy tablets.
Damian   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 20:11 GMT
Random:

A million apologies!!!! My last posting was meant for you! I apologise to Jordi for taking his name in vain.

Winters in Scotland are getting milder thanks to global warming. When I was a young lad it was always my job to clear the snow from the front door of the house to the gate and off the pavement (sidewalk) beyond.
Random Chappie   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 21:38 GMT
Thank you very much for the clarification, Damian!

I don't think I have ever taken any anti-queasy tablets before. I've just visited the SNP website and the party does indeed seem very different from the BNP, not least because it has a much larger group of supporters than the latter and is not racist at all.

Oh, yes, the dreadful pavement-sidewalk thingy. When I first came to California, my [American] friends would shoot me odd looks when I told their children to "stay on the pavement". Now, I usually say "footpath": it's geographically neutral and only has one meaning.
mjd   Tuesday, July 20, 2004, 21:54 GMT
"Pavement" does exist in American English. It refers to smooth surfaces such as roads or parking lots that have been paved over (generally with asphalt). It's actually a fairly common word in American English, but we call the path that one walks on a "sidewalk."

An example sentence of how "pavement" would be used in American English:

"He slipped off his skateboard and hit his head hard on the pavement."
Juan   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 00:55 GMT
What about footpath?
mjd   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 01:12 GMT
I'd be more inclined to use that term when describing a dirt path through the woods or something, but I'd know what Random Chappie meant if he were to refer to the sidewalk/pavement as the footpath (the context would give it away).
garans   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 05:28 GMT
http://webcenter.ru/~garans/LoveForPennies.mp3

Try this little thing.
I am sure you will have trouble with this accent though it is an authentic American English.

I traded love for pennies,
So...so...for le...
Lost my i... in the long tu... of time
(fill in)
Julian   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 06:51 GMT
I've traded love for pennies,
Sold my soul for less,
Lost my ideals in that long tunnel of time

(From "Age" by Jim Croce)
garans   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 10:36 GMT
Julian

You are incredible!
garans   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 12:33 GMT
Julian

I think you are a native speaker plus you know this song.

I've heard it hundred times and could not understand till found the text.
I thought that he sings something like:

So for so, for lives,
Lost my antics in the long turn of the time.

Bcs:
less sounds a bit like lees
sold and soul - endings are almost silent
ideals - wrong stress on the first syllable
tunnel - rather rare word and I have never heard it in a combination with time
Juan   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 13:02 GMT
mjd,

<<I'd be more inclined to use that term when describing a dirt path through the woods or something, but I'd know what Random Chappie meant if he were to refer to the sidewalk/pavement as the footpath (the context would give it away).>>

I think that's the most common term used in Australian suburbia, perhaps even in built-up areas such as the respective Central Business Districts of each State/Territory. Jim could verify this.
garans   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 13:03 GMT
By the way, in the top of this page there is a link:
EnglishAccentReduction.

I think it would be better to put it in another way bcs there is no such an accent in English.
Say, ForeignAccentReduction.
mjd   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 14:02 GMT
Juan,

It very well could be. Like you said, Jim will be able to confirm this. I can only attest to how it's used in the U.S.
Damian   Wednesday, July 21, 2004, 18:25 GMT
Nic:

...I posted a response to you using your name instead of mine.....sorry, mate!