Is Schedule to be pronounced as Skedool or as shedool

..   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 07:50 GMT
Yes, I may be retarded.
On Quest   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 09:26 GMT
Ok phew!! let me make an attempt to get atleast the first part right.

So 'Shed' pronounciation is not an accepted form in either American English or Brit English.

So it is to be something like either "Sked" or "Sed". Jim am I right?
On Quest   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 14:58 GMT
Skejool seems more like it. I checked out a pronounciation audio at this site www.bartleby.com.
Damian   Tuesday, February 01, 2005, 20:34 GMT
Strictly "shed-yule" is definitely the most usual pronunciation over here. I very rarely hear anybody pronounce it the American way.
Jim   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 00:32 GMT
On Quest,

No, I'm using http://www.antimoon.com/how/pronunc-ascii.htm

/S/ represents the "sh" sound in "shed". The "s" sound in "said" is represented by /s/. So "shed" is pronounced /Sed/ and "said" is pronounced /sed/.

In the North America people pronounce "schedule" as "skedule" whereas elsewhere "shedule" is standard.
..   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 01:37 GMT
Some Canadian pronounce schedule as 'shedule', they are North Americans.
Jim   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 02:38 GMT
Some do, yes, I knew one of them but generally speaking /sk/ is more common.
..   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 02:43 GMT
Where you from, Jim Boy?
Jim   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 04:00 GMT
Australia
On Quest   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 08:38 GMT
Jim, for an Australian you sound pretty sure (hey no offence ment nor am I talkin about the 'tall poppy' Aussi syndrome). I am simply saying dont Americans and Europeans agree more on their English than with Aussi English? (meaning aint it definitely distinctive)

But I do agree with you partly of one aspect... Atleast most in Asia do not pronounce 'Schedule' the American way.

Could it be that Americans decided that since "Scheme" is pronounced as skeem that "Schedule" should be pronounced as skedule?
Boy   Wednesday, February 02, 2005, 10:30 GMT
similar incident happened to me a long long time ago. My American born cousins came to attend a marriage and they stayed at house with us. They kept pronouncing "[skedZ..l] " for e.g "we have such hectic schedules"..etc

I never heard that pronunciation before and i wasn't active in learning the language at that time so i never opened my dictionary. I took this American pronunciation as a synoym of the word "schedule". I kept asking my siblings do you guys know there was a synonym for the word "schedule" started with "ska" and was supposed to be spelled "ska jule" or sth like that. They said that they never heard that new word. I kept asking the same question with American teachers at online esl sites which provided free chat. They didn't help me either to solve this mystery.

At the end of the day I opened my own dictionary and checked the word "schedule" for knowing its meaning there fortunately both Amr and Brt pronunciations were given. That's how I knew the difference in pronunciation.
Jim   Friday, February 04, 2005, 02:46 GMT
Aussie English is definitely distinctive but it's closer to Irish/British English than North American English is. As for European English, well you have the British Isles were there are the native speakers and then you have the rest of Europe who I'd expect more to follow the British lead than the American one.

Australia and New Zealand were colonised much later than North America. This goes some way to explain why North American English is so much more different to British/Irish English than Aust/NZ English. Then you have the American Revolution and nationalistic sentiments which drove American English and British English apart. Webster's spelling is a perfect example of this.

I don't know whether the choice of /sk/ over /S/ (i.e. a "sh" sound) was a product of pronouncing the word how it seemed to have been spelt by comparing it to such words as "scheme", "school", "schism", "schooner", etc. It could well have been a deliberate attempt on the part of certain Americans to distinguish their language from that of the British.

It might be that this pronunciation was chosen deliberately. The pronunciation of the other "sch" words might have been used as a justification. Also the classical Latin and Greek pronunciation might have been used as a justification. This is just a hypothesis: I don't know for sure. However, Webster, it seems, used the Latin roots of words to justify some of his spellings.

Under the influence of American English the /sk/ pronunciation is creeping into AusE but traditionally the word had been pronounced with a /S/. This pronunciation came directly from the British pronunciation. Yeah, I'm pretty sure about this. Reading dictionaries confirms the theory.
Easterner   Friday, February 04, 2005, 12:30 GMT
<<As for European English, well you have the British Isles were there are the native speakers and then you have the rest of Europe who I'd expect more to follow the British lead than the American one.>>

Me being an European, I can say this is true for my generation (people over thirty), but nowadays teenagers and young people just over twenty seem to prefer American English, including the use of typical American slang. As for me, on the rare occasions I use slang, I prefer the British variety (as an exclamation of disapproval, I prefer "gosh" to "s***t" or "f**k", for example, I tend to perceive the former as more typically British, though it may be somewhat "dated" now).
Tiffany   Friday, February 04, 2005, 16:22 GMT
Strange, I've always thought of "gosh" as typically American... I certainly say (and "shoot") that when I want to refrain from swearing.
Easterner   Friday, February 04, 2005, 19:13 GMT
Tiffany, you're quite certainly right, I must have been wrong with that one. It's just that I have never heard "gosh" being said by Americans, unlike "shoot", which is very frequent. I guess those exclamations are quite uniform for various English-speaking communities.