Is Schedule to be pronounced as Skedool or as shedool

Someone   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 19:17 GMT
"Is it correct to use an article "a" before the word "English"?"

No, of course not. It is never okay to use an article before English when it's being used as a noun. That was a typo on my part. I'm not the best typist.
Someone   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 19:19 GMT
Actually, I suppose that one could say "an English" to refer to a certain variety of English, but that was not my intention.
Someone   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 19:23 GMT
I too wish we had an editing feature so I wouldn't have to post so many times in a row... Anyway, I also would like to say that saying something like "an English" would sound rather bizarre, and probably shouldn't be done.
Someone   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 19:45 GMT
Sorry for making yet another post, but I'd like to explain something... When I type, sometimes I skip over words, or type in the same word twice if I pause in my typing. I'm pretty sure I know how that "a" got in there. I starting typing "a native speaker of" over again, but I realized I'd already typed it so I deleted the second one but for some reason forgot to get rid of the "a". I bet no one really cares about this, but I want people to know how things like this can happen. Also, does it happen to anyone else here? The typing problem, I mean. If so, does anyone know a way to type better?
Easterner   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 21:34 GMT
Someone,

Thank you for the corrections. No offence of course.

Yes, instead of "consequently", I meant "consistently". I sometimes mix up words which sound alike, especially when I write quickly (and we do have a loanword derived from the original Latin form of "consequent" in Hungarian which is used in the sense of "consistent").

What I meant was that "skedyool" (or if you are an American, "skedool") was the only way I heard the word being pronounced, and I had not been aware that it can also be pronounced as "shedyool" until I read the posts here. I follow the British way of saying words, because that is the variety I originally learnt, but in the particular case of "schedule", I diverged from it, maybe under the influence of words like "scheme" or "schism", which are pronounced with a /sk-/.

Hopefully everything is crystal clear now. :-)
Someone   Saturday, February 05, 2005, 21:45 GMT
I don't pronounce it any of those ways. I say "skejol".
Someone   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 01:02 GMT
I noticed a mistake in your new post. When I first read it, I decided not to mention it, but I changed my mind upon reading the post again.

"No offence of course."

This is not the correct way to use "no offense". You tell someone "no offense" if you want to let them know you're not trying to offend them, not if they don't offend you. You might say, "No offense but your socks don't match." (All of my example sentences are silly, unfortunately.)
Ed   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 06:36 GMT
Someone, take it easy
Someone   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 06:43 GMT
Yeah, I know. I love to ramble.
Easterner   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 09:19 GMT
"Offense" is American English for "offence" in British English (I'm not sure about the spelling used in Australia). As I said, I tend to use the British forms consistently. :-)
Tiffany   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 19:40 GMT
I don't think Someone was refering to the way you spelled it Easterner. He/she is saying that he/she doesn't think your usage of "no offence/offense" is correct. I see the point. Reread your post and ask yourself "No offense for what?" Someone is saying it needs an object, because he/she didn't see anything in there that would merit you asking him/her to take no offense.

Geez, are you a girl or boy Someone?

Oh Easterner, as an American, I pronounce it "skedyool" or "skedjool". I don't know anybody who say "skedool". It would sound strange to me.
Someone   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 19:58 GMT
Yeah, I don't care about it being speeled the British way. I care that it's being used wrong. I spelled it the American way because I'm American.

As for your question, Tiffany, I'm a guy. I know the phrase "Yeah, I know." is somewhat girlish, but guys use it too...
Ed   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 20:25 GMT
<<As for your question, Tiffany, I'm a guy. I know the phrase "Yeah, I know." is somewhat girlish, but guys use it too... >>

More girly is "I know, right?", but I use it all the time...oh, well LOL
mjd   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 20:28 GMT
"Yeah, I know"....girlish?

It's a common phrase used all the time by both males and females.
Someone   Sunday, February 06, 2005, 20:34 GMT
Really? It always seemed kind of girlish to me... Well, if that's not it, what could Tiffany have been talking about?