Do you speak any slavic language?

Gromos³aw   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 11:07 GMT
Are you able to communicate? If you don't speak, have you ever tried? What languages? What made you learn? Why did you give up? Is it easy to find a school/teacher of slavic languages in your country?
nico   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 11:20 GMT
In France, it was easy to hear polish people because of its high immigration, i had a friend who was one of them. It seemed to be very complicated for a french native speaker. Some schools propose russian language but i's very very rare.
Rui   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 12:16 GMT
I learned Russian here at Porto, Portugal. I finished the 3 level classes at the Association Friendship Portugal-URSS, back in 1988-1991. I started them because I was very curious about Russia (via literature, not politics), liked the sound of the language, and had free time to spend (I was 16 then).

Those days, it was the only place to learnt it, here at Porto. Nowadays there are extra-curricular classes at the Humanities Faculty of the local University, and also some particular classes can be found (there's a lot of immigrants from ex-URSS, mainly Ukrainians, and it's easy to found theachers).

I forgot a lot of it, though the classes were very good and I think I was able to use the language fairly well back in 1991. After that I kept practicing reading and writing for some years, but didn't have anyone to practice conversation with. And when I finally found Russian speakers, in 1998, I could speak but had difficulties to understand even simple things.

I don't practice it for a long time and it's very much forgotten now. Since 2000 a lot of Russian speakers arrived here and it would be easy to practice, but now I'm in another mood and didn't take much advantage of it.
Ed   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 15:49 GMT
I'm a native Bulgarian speaker :-P
Sanja   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:04 GMT
And I'm a native Serbo-Croatian (Bosnian) speaker. :P
Travis   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:15 GMT
Polish was historically spoken in areas of southeastern Wisconsin and northeastern Illinois, due to immigration, and there's still old people who're left who speak it, such as my maternal grandmother, but it generally has not been passed on to succeeding generations (even though one of my uncles on my mom's side does know at least some Polish), and unlike German, isn't taught in most schools, universities aside, either.
Huchu   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:25 GMT
Russian is one of my favourite languages. I learned it for two years with the help of a friend of mine from Poland. Here in Germany and above all in the east of the country it is very easy to find schools and institutes, e.g. the "Volkshochschulen", offering courses of slavic languages. Slavic languages like Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian and Croatian (Serbo-Croatian) are frequently heard in Berlin.
John   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:38 GMT
Travis

"who're left who speak it"
I am not a native and i would like to know if this construction is correct
Travis   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:42 GMT
That just means "who are left who speak it", and yes, it is correct, even though it isn't exactly a formal written form, due to the use of "who're". Also, some would avoid "who're" in writing just because when written it looks like the word "whore", even though it's pronounced differently. It's much more likely to be used in speech, though.
john   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 16:50 GMT
Thanks
Linguist   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 19:11 GMT
I am russian, so i speak this language, moreover i want to learn another slavic language, probably czech, but its increadibly difficult to find any good material, and there are no courses, no teachers, i bought the book but it appeared to be outdated, and czech people dont speak this way now, well....situation with little slavic languages is very sad:(
Frances   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 22:33 GMT
Linguist - it is very hard to find good slavic language texts in general. I have found it virtually impossible to find a good Macedonian dictionary, even Amazon's selection is limited. There is one on CD, except it is not compatible with Macs (which is what I use)
Ed   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 22:40 GMT
Frances, some would argue that Macedonian isn't really a separate language :-P
Frances   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 22:42 GMT
Don't start your nationalistic stunts with me. I'm not talking politics.
Travis   Thursday, May 05, 2005, 23:01 GMT
Then there're "Serbian", "Croatian", and "Bosnian", which are most definitely *not* three different languages, unlike what some'd like to believe, but rather just one, that is, Serbo-Croatian.