What kind of accent is posh among young people in the US?

Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 12:14 am GMT
UK is the pet of Amerika!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri May 02, 2008 7:54 am GMT
***UK is the pet of Amerika!***

A bulldog or a Rottweiler? Or maybe a cute wee Skye terrier? All can snap, and all can bite quite hard! :-)

Whichever, you can certainly rule out the lapdog!
Travis   Fri May 02, 2008 2:36 pm GMT
Well, depends. The British government seems to often operate like a satellite state of the US, but even then it seems that such is more a matter of New Labour than even the entire Labour party. At the same time, many British people really on the other hand have a less favorable view of the US than certain parts of the Labour party do.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri May 02, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
The days are now numbered for the ruling Labour Party in the UK - and when the "end" comes it won't be a day too soon. What Travis says is more or less true, but leaving aside the issue of Anglo-American relations, unpopular desert wars and the like, a whole lot of other issues are the reason why the Labour Party has been all but slaughtered in the local elections held in England and Wales yesterday 01/05/08. Result after result from the cities and shires have shown gain after gain for the Conservative Party (with some for the Liberal Democrats) - all at the expense of the Labour Party. We in Scotland had our equivalent local and Assembly elections last year, and we did our share of Labour Party annihilation then - typical of us to get in first! :-)

Now it very much looks as if the current Mayor of London (Ken Livingstone - Labour) is to be kicked out by Boris Johnson (Conservative
Party) - a guy who went to the exclusive Eton College, represents one of the lushest, well heeled Tory (ie Conservative) heartlands Parliamentary constituencies in the peace and gentility of rural England looks set to be elected by the voters of Greater London to be their Mayor! He says that if he is elected Mayor of London he will remain the MP for Henley-on-Thames. I think that will be totally out of the question, even for Bonkers Boris! :-)

btw the Mayor of London and the Lord Mayor of London are two totally separate individuals - they do not hold the same office - the Lord Mayor of London (completely non political) has "dominion" over the City (the original heart of London - the basic financial and commercial centre) while the Mayor of London (political) has control over the whole of the rest of Metropolitan Greater London.

It's the May Day weekend here in the UK - it's great having both today off work (due to me) and, like the rest of the UK, next Monday as well - May Day Bank Holiday - one nice long weekend - and the sun is shining and it's getting warmer!

Happy May Day!
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
I am able to remember that Thatcher was very friendly with Reagan. Conservative party will be even greater satellite to US, IMO.
Travis   Fri May 02, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
That is definitely true, and it largely is just a matter of it being a while since Thatcher was in office that acting as a satellite of the US is associated with the Labour party and not the Conservative party. But at the same time, though, in the case of Thatcher the "Special Relationship" seemed less satellite state-ish on the part of the UK as in many cases the Reaganites emulated Thatcher rather than the other way around, and Thatcher seemed to be more strongly nationalist and more capable of acting independently (e.g. the Falklands campaign) than Labour under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown overall.
Travis   Fri May 02, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
(As some backstory, for those here not familiar with the politics of the Falklands War, the US and UK were actually initially somewhat on opposite sides during it, as the US supported the military regime in Argentina which the UK was at war with. It was only after some hesitation that the US withdrew their support for the Argentine government and decided to support the UK, after the UK had already launched their campain to retake the islands.)
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 7:07 pm GMT
I guess it all comes down to the personality of a leader.
Jasper   Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
Argentina's view on that issue has always been a mystery to me; the Falklands have been British for over 200 years--longer than the existence of the United States, if my memory is correct.
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 7:40 pm GMT
Falklands to Argentina [vs UK] are something like Channel Islands to the UK [vs France]. Jèrriais is much closer to French than to English.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri May 02, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
I've never been to the Channel Islands (but I've flown almost directly over them a couple of times) but from what I can gather it is more staunchly "English" in character than England itself, even though it's only a few miles away from the coast of Normandy and has so many place names that are French in character. All the contestants who appear on Anne Robinson's "Weakest Link" program on TV who come from the Channel Islands all seem to have "posh(ish" Englih English RP accents. I have no idea at all if the local Jersey/Guernesy languages/dialects (?) are still being spoken on the islands. I do know that th Channel Islands were the only part of the British Isles to be occupied by the Germans during WW2 - for 5 whole years, dyring which the Germans made them drive on the right side of the road for the duration. The day after Liberation in 1945 the Islanders promtly switched back to the let hand side of the roads..... like the rest of us! :-)

All I really know of the Falklands War (I was born right in the middle of it in April 1982) is what I have read and what we (very briefly) touched upon in school. Thatcher was very much a "flag waver" - something the English, in particular, are not prone to do other than when the World Cup (football) championships are running - or when an emergency, such as a war with another country whch deeply offends "English pride and territorial protection" (such as the Falklands) then, oh man!, you see flags flying all over the bloody palce in England - Union Flags as well as the flag of St George.

We in Scotland proudly fly our two flags as a matter of course, but NOT in any jingoistic way at all. We do that when we play Rugby - especially against the English, whether we beat them or not! Aw! Bless! :-)

Right - I'm off up to town now and to the pub to meet my mates - have a good May Day weekend.
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 11:17 pm GMT
LAS MALVINAS SON ARGENTINAS! THE FALKANS ARE ARGENTINE! BAJO LOS INGLESES MENTIROSOS DE MIERDA!
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
Tell me what Malvinas have to do with the f**ing English THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS miles away!
Are they so disgusted about their island that they wanted to go EVERYWHERE but stay at home?
Guest   Fri May 02, 2008 11:38 pm GMT
What a beautiful name "Malvinas" is. Falkland sounds like Fuckland or something like that
Jasper   Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 am GMT
Argentinians: with sufficient imagination, I could see your point, but the Falklands have been British for hundreds of years. If you want to say that the British stole them from you, consider this: wasn't Argentina stolen from the Indians?

Maybe we should all pack our bags, go back to Europe, and give all the Americas back to the Indians.