What kind of accent is posh among young people in the US?

Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 2:52 pm GMT
I've never heard a word POSH used in an American movie/sitcom.
It must be a chiefly British word. They use it all the time.
Skippy   Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm GMT
"Posh" isn't a word in the typical American's vocabulary. Whenever I hear it I immediately think Victoria Beckham.
Travis   Mon May 19, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
I too would have to agree that the word "posh" really isn't part of the actively used vocabulary of the average English-speaking North American...
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
Longman dictionary of American English on POSH
POSH adj expensive and used by rich people: a posh restaurant

Expensive accent ;) lol
Guest   Mon May 19, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
Who does look posher, Victoria Beckham or Paris Hilton? Do they have posh accents according to their respective compatriots?
Skippy   Mon May 19, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
I have no idea. I want to say Victoria Beckham, but I can't say for certain.

Paris Hilton's accent, as far as I can tell, is like, totally typical Southern Californian. :-) Nevertheless I believe her father has a pretty standardized dialect: i.e. one that would be more welcome across America by businessmen from New York, Texas, Georgia, Washington, etc. to communicate with one another (as opposed to the regional dialect they may more typically use with their families).
Russconha   Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 am GMT
I would say that posh means of superficially high quality
Porchia   Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 pm GMT
Victoria Beckham isn't very posh. She sounds like an Essex girl for goodness sake.
Guest   Tue May 20, 2008 5:17 pm GMT
Victoria Beckham is just a ghetto girl who made a lot of money thanks to good luck and a famous husband. She isn't posh at all.
Gyrst   Tue May 20, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
Posh is used and understood in the US, but it's not really slang for anything like in the UK. "Yuppie" is probably the closest US equivalent to posh/posho.
Bill from Warwick   Thu May 22, 2008 1:15 am GMT
So you wanna speak posh? You want to sound like a Rockefeller or a Kennedy? Then speak English CAREFULLY and CORRECTLY! This is the very first giveaway to a poseur- they master the slang and argot but don't have the substance of mastery behind them. Don't worry about what is fashionable or au courant- speak English the way your masters and textbooks at school instruct you to. Americans do not respect foreigners who know the dirty words and idioms of the moment- speak beautiful correct English and (especially as a foreigner) you will be accepted into the best circles!!!