Is it correct to call oneself a "US American"?

Russconha   Mon May 12, 2008 3:32 am GMT
K. T.

I am a gaijin living in Japan, and my students rejoice in calling me 'The Potato Eater'
Skippy   Mon May 12, 2008 3:34 am GMT
There's a Canadian comedian named Russel Peters, whose father was born in India, who talked about his father going to a marriage between Russel and a Chinese girl saying "Can you imagine how much rice would be at that wedding? White people would throw it and my dad would freak out, and he'd say we'd have to go to their weddings and throw mashed potatoes."
Wintereis   Mon May 12, 2008 6:18 pm GMT
While I was working in D.C. I had a friend who was working as an archivist for the Smithsonian Institute’s Museum of Asian Art. She was the daughter of Chinese immigrants, and her name, roughly translated from Cantonese, could be understood as “Stop Miss America”. I found that very funny.

I think the people who want Americans to start calling themselves Stations must not be native speakers of English. There is already the word station in the English language. Among its many related definitions, a station is “a stopping place for trains or other land conveyances, for the transfer of freight or passengers”. I personally don’t want to be referred to as a stopping place for freight. I doubt that anyone would. I think all people in the United States are quite aware that there are two continents called America and that the people from those continents are American. However, in the U.S. we don’t refer to them as American. The continents are large and we prefer more specificity. You will hear us say South American, North American, Mezzo American, Caribbean, or Columbian, Brazilian, Canadian, Mexican, Chilean, or Argentinean (for example). I’m glad that the Spanish speaking world has its own way of referring to the people of the United States. But the English speaking world has its own way of doing it too. I think most people from outside the U.S. believe we call ourselves American’s because we don’t conceder the rest of the Western Hemisphere important. This could not be farther from the truth. We call ourselves Americans for aesthetics, understanding, and tradition—the people of the United States are and will continue to be called American in English. You are not going to change that no matter how indignant you are about it. So, you had better get used to it my friends.
united statian/statesian   Mon May 12, 2008 6:24 pm GMT
<<I think the people who want Americans to start calling themselves Stations must not be native speakers of English. There is already the word station in the English language.>>

I think most proposals suggest "statians", not "stations". But this brings up a good point: how do you pronounce "statian"? Is it like "station" or like "state+ian"?
Wintereis   Mon May 12, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
I think it would be pronounced the same or similarly enouph that there would be confustion. That is my point.
wintereis   Mon May 12, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
(enough) My computer is not being very nice today.
Guest   Mon May 12, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
Short form: Statians (State-ians)
Formal form: United Statian
Local form: American
Wintereis   Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
It is not just the local form, Guest. . . unless you consider England, Ireland, Scotland, Australia, and New Zeeland local to the U.S. American is the English designation for those in the U.S. It is really childish and petty to split such hairs. Worry about the terminology in your own language. The native speakers of English shall worry about there own.
US American   Mon May 12, 2008 7:46 pm GMT
<<American is the English designation for those in the U.S. It is really childish and petty to split such hairs. >>

In the recent past, political correctness has forced us to change the way we refer to certain people. Example: "Indians" are more properly referred to now as "Native Americans". I think the use of terms like "United Statians", "US Americans", etc. is just a modern trend toward more sensitive terminology.

The use of the term "Americans" to refer to United Statians, seems to somehow imply that those of in the US are the true Americans, ignoring all the others in this hemisphere who rightfully call themselves Americans.
Wintereis   Mon May 12, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
And I think such claims are ridiculous and will not find a foot hold. I do not think of my self as being the only people from the Americas. People go overboard with political correctness. Indian to Native American is understandable; Indian is a complete and utter misnomer. That, more than any other reason, is why it has been changed. I have heard from the P.C. police that white people in the U.S. should now be called Anglo because not all white people are from the Caucusas and should no longer be called Caucasian. Apparently all white Americans are, however, from an Anglo ancestry. But I think the Polish, German, French, Italian, Spanish, and other European Americans might take issue with this. Political Correctness, like everything else, is only good in moderation. Else we see the bankrupting of language; I think we should take a pragmatic approach to such things. Not using Nigger, Spick, Queer, Dyke, Fag, Chink, Squaw, Rag Head, Kike, and Buck (for example) are good standards. Inevitably, it seems to come down to what the people of those groups wish to be called. African American's want to be called African American or black. Native Americans wish to be called Native Americans. Thus it goes. People form the United States wish to be called Americans. Historically, as I've just illustrated, we tend to get in trouble when we submit or allow others to define us. Names are powerful totems. The majority of the 400 million citizens of the U.S. have decided to call themselves American. And, indeed, the majority of the English speaking world holds with this. I think we should be careful how far we are willing to go in the name of Pluralism (which is what Political Correctness derives from). Because, the simple fact is, that pluralism--no matter how benevolent it might seem--has its own form of tyranny. It seems outwardly to be all inclusive but you have to remember that it, as most words in any language, has its binary which it seeks to dominate. And that domination (over Monism) causes the implosion of Pluralism at an epistemic level. In other words Pluralism can't be pluralistic because it essentially will seek to include all that apposes pluralism. I find it is best to think of things in terms of what Mills once wrote: "The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest". In this way, we all have the freedom to think in what manner we like. It may mean that there will be some people that wish to exclude, people that maintain that there are superior and inferior races, languages, religions, and cultures. But it also provides for those who contradict those beliefs, who believe in Unitarianism and that all people are created equal. We may think it better to live without bigotry, that belief contains bigotry essential to itself. That is why it is necessary to be cautious of any ideology that seeks to impose its own definitions. Political Correctness is only one of these.
Guest   Tue May 13, 2008 12:25 am GMT
<<I have heard from the P.C. police that white people in the U.S. should now be called Anglo >>

I think the politically correct terms are:

- Blacks: African-Statians (or Afro-Statians)
- Indians: Native-Statians
- Chinese/Japanese: Asian-Statians
- Jihadists/Terrorists: Islamic Patriots (or Freedom Fighters)
- Illegal Aliens: Repatriated/Rightful/True Statians
- Whites: European-alens/Illegal aliens

These days, you can't be too politically correct or multicultural. The important thing to is tolerate (or even support) the enemies of Western Culture. The only thing that's not tolerated these days is our own culture, especially US culture.
Guest   Tue May 13, 2008 12:33 am GMT
US doesn't have own culture, that is the reason why people say: " i have german ancestry", "me irish". To be American means nothing in the cultural sense.
Wintereis   Tue May 13, 2008 12:43 am GMT
<<These days, you can't be too politically correct or multicultural. The important thing to is tolerate (or even support) the enemies of Western Culture. The only thing that's not tolerated these days is our own culture, especially US culture>>

I think the important thing is to respect that other people may have different beliefs than our own. And I think you give a prime example as to why the culture of the United States is not tolerated.

<<US doesn't have own culture, that is the reason why people say: " i have german ancestry", "me irish". To be American means nothing in the cultural sense.>>

The U.S. most certainly has its own culture. We do not have a common ancestry. There is a difference between the two. Here is a link that will help you establish an understanding of what is some of our culture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_the_United_States
Guest   Tue May 13, 2008 12:48 am GMT
Come on, your culture is Paris Hiton and Hollywood movies. You don't even have buildings like churches or cathedrals older than 200 years. Travel to Europe and you'll find real culture.
Guest   Tue May 13, 2008 1:02 am GMT
<<I think the important thing is to respect that other people may have different beliefs than our own. >>

Political correctness seeks to improve on the obsolete concept of free speech by imposing strict limits on what can be said (or thought).

Anything which goes against the current PC ideals is branded "Hate Speech", and with any luck gets criminalized. Of course, the PC ideals evolve to a higher level over time, and then it's possible go back and writers to the wall for things said in the past that used to be OK.

One fly in the ointment -- there are a couple of pesky clauses in the US constitution that need to be gotten around (Freedom of speech, Freedom of the press, Ex post facto laws, etc.), but with any luck the clever PC police will figure out a way around these obstacles to improving our beliefs and thinking.