Lanuage stereotypes

Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:30 pm GMT
<<Hoogwaals = that's Hogwarts in Spanish, right? >>

It was supposed to be something close to "High walls", but fake.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
>>Spanish Literature is the most famous on Earth

Not true. Hebrew (Torah) and Arabic (Quran) literatures are the most famous on Earth and everybody knows that.
Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:37 pm GMT
Don Quixote is the most translated book only after the Bible. Since Torah is a subset of the Bible it's true for Torah but Quran is less famous .
Don Galaor   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
Actually nobody reads Spanish literature.
Skippy   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm GMT
The Quran is not widely read outside of the Muslim world... Anglo-American literature provides a large plurality (though definitely NOT a majority) of the literature available.
Bush   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm GMT
Don Quixote was recently voted The Greatest Book of All Time by the Nobel Institute.
Xie   Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:59 am GMT
Surely it isn't. If I had been hard-working and tried to read the collection of classics for school kids.... at around grade 7 (darn, I can't recall) we should have "foreign" novels by loads of English people, Balzac, Goethe, ... and some Russians I can't name correctly. But certainly works from the Islamic world and Spain and Italy are underrepresented... when they aren't as famous anyway.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:06 am GMT
<<Calderon de la Barca, Lope de Vega Gongora, García Lorca, Unamuno, Vargas Llosa, Neruda, García Marquez>>

I've never heard of these guys either. Spanish literature isn't important in the rest of the world. It's not surprising considering it's complete crap!
Chun Li   Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:28 am GMT
That's because in China you have no freedom . You only read Mao , Karl Marx and stuff like that. In democratic countries Spanish literature is the most famous:

Leading authors have named 17th-Century Spanish story Don Quixote as the best work of fiction ever written, ahead of works by Shakespeare, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky.

The romantic satire, written by Miguel de Cervantes, won 50% more votes than any other book in a poll of some of the world's most acclaimed writers.

Salman Rushdie, Norman Mailer and Nadine Gordimer were among the authors to give their views on what were the best and most important novels, stories and plays in history.

Don Quixote is about an elderly but absurd knight who seeks adventure, and was an immediate success after being published in two parts, in 1605 and 1615.

The Norwegian Nobel Institute organised the poll, but did not say which stories followed Don Quixote in the other top spots.

A panel of 100 authors was asked to list the 10 works of fiction that they considered the "best and most central works in world literature".

Milan Kundera, John le Carre, John Irving and Carlos Fuentes were also among the writers to cast votes. Authors from more than 50 nations took part.

Salman Rushdie
Salman Rushdie was quizzed for the poll
Fuentes, a Mexican, has described Cervantes as the "founding father" of Latin American literature.

Cervantes has also been credited with shaping literary style, and Don Quixote has been acclaimed as "the first great novel of world literature".

Books by Dostoyevsky cropped up most often on the shortlist of the top 100 works, with four entries.

Shakespeare, Kafka and Tolstoy each had three works on the list, while Faulkner, Flaubert and Garcia Marquez, Homer, Thomas Mann and Virginia Woolf had two.

The poll was carried out by Norwegian Book Clubs to promote classical literature over TV, films and computer games.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1972609.stm
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:58 am GMT
I'm in Sweden, a democratic country. Why is it that Hispanic fanatics ALWAYS brandish Cervantes and his beloved 'Don Quixote' when Spanish literature is brought up? It's like it's the only card they have to play. Outside of Spain and Latin America, no one has heard of other Spanish literary works...And I don't care what your silly poll says. Shakespeare will always be regarded as the greatest writer and poet to set foot on this earth. And as a Swede, I don't have any reason to be biased. I come from a neutral nation! So, my proclamation reigns supreme...
zatsu   Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:01 am GMT
Yeah, it's even outrageous someone not knowing about "Don Quixote" on the West world.
It made the adjective word "quixotic"!
zatsu   Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 am GMT
To the Swede guest:
Who can complain about Cervantes and bring up Shakespeare?

You never heard of Juan Jimenez or Gabriel Garcia Marquez??
Well, someone must have, because both won the Nobel Prize in Literature!
And mind you, I'm not a Hispanic fanatic.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:08 am GMT
<<Surely it isn't. If I had been hard-working and tried to read the collection of classics for school kids.... at around grade 7 (darn, I can't recall) we should have "foreign" novels by loads of English people, Balzac, Goethe, ... and some Russians I can't name correctly. But certainly works from the Islamic world and Spain and Italy are underrepresented... when they aren't as famous anyway.>>

Clearly you Chinese communists don't have your priorities straight. Don Quixote is too inspiring to be taught, as it might inspire an uprising in the Tibet.
Xie   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:47 am GMT
>>That's because in China you have no freedom . You only read Mao , Karl Marx and stuff like that. In democratic countries Spanish literature is the most famous:

The reason is simple: YOU don't know I enjoy my freedom here in Hong Kong, and you think I can't think as it seems! Hong Kong lets me do almost anything legal or ethical. You can't think when you always assume a Chinese must be from a world without freedom. If you need some political irony that every Chinese knows, I can offer some.

One of the very ones they really exclude from the reading list is Orwell, but everyone can buy translated novels of Orwell everywhere in this country you label as not free. Everyone knows what is going on. They aren't dumb. Please don't think people in non-democratic countries can't think. That's sarcasm.

I do read Lu Xun and I know his leftist leanings and all that Eurocentrism in him and in you.
Skippy   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:23 am GMT
I'm in the US and I have never read Don Quixote. It was offered as an option on a reading list one time, but I ended up reading Watership Down instead :-)