dealing with rude people in western nations

Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
move to Texas :-)

From all the places on earth Texas the most infested with nasty evil people, just take a look a those cowboys pretending to be politicians.

Stay away from Texas better move to Canada

Even Houston said that if he owned Texas he will rent it and prefer to live in hell
Bill in Los Angeles   Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:05 pm GMT
<<From all the places on earth Texas the most infested with nasty evil people, just take a look a those cowboys pretending to be politicians.>>

How much time have you spent in Texas? People who have only seen Texas on television tend to think it's all tumbleweeds and saloons and people shooting guns in the air while they toss back a shot of whiskey. That's an unfair stereotype. Normally when I go to Texas I'm the only one getting drunk and shooting my gun in the air.

Most people who have actually visited Texas will tell you that it has the most polite people they've ever met. Everyone says "sir" and "ma'am" and people I know there generally are very caring people. But probably the best thing about Texas is the women. Dallas has just as many beautiful women as LA but minus the LA attitude.

I see from your post that you'r enot a fan of GWB... that's fine but remember that Stevie Ray Vaughan is also from Texas. Dallas and Austin have thriving music scenes. In Dallas you can go to the Deep Ellum area and catch 20 live bands in one night.

All that being said, Texas is pretty much the quintessential American experience, so if, as it appears from your post, you don't dig friendly hot women, rock and roll and a party atmosphere, you probably wouldn't like Texas.
Wintereis   Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:25 pm GMT
<<Most people who have actually visited Texas will tell you that it has the most polite people they've ever met. Everyone says "sir" and "ma'am" and people I know there generally are very caring people.>>

I have only been to Texas once, San Antonio to Corpus Christi/Padre Island. And I would have to agree with you Bill. The people there are very friendly and polite. I will say, however, people in Texas tend to be very proud of their state . . . a little more than I think is reasonable, but what am I to say about it and what does it matter.
Skippy   Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:04 pm GMT
Bill from LA-

I appreciate your defense of Dallas, but I need to update you on Deep Ellum... The "live band" scene of Dallas has really moved about two minutes north to Lower Greenville... Deep Ellum still has the fun shops and nice studio apartments, but most of the clubs where you would typically see bands (and places my bands used to play) have been converted to dance clubs (most of which cater to the South Dallas crowd) and bars.

Nevertheless, many in the US will tell you that Texans are polite and friendly, but, as we have seen on this forum, it is in many ways that Europeans find annoying or superficial ('thank you' all the time, 'sorry' all the time, always saying 'have a good day' and such...).

We appreciate your support though! :-)
Bill in LA   Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:53 am GMT
Thanks Skippy. I'm glad to know there's still music to be had in Deep Ellum or at least nearby. I've always said, if I had a buttload of money I'd like to build a night club in downtown Dallas (or near the Deep Ellum / Lower Greenville area and call the club "Jack Ruby's"

I think a person would have to be a real downer with no sense of fun at all not to enjoy Texas. Most of my European friends claim to hate Texas because thet don't like GWB and they have the images of the tv show Dallas forever etched in their heads. But knowing them as I do, they would love Texas if they came out for a visit because most, if not all of my European friends are very down to earth guys that love to eat, drink, listen to good music and flirt with women. All of which is pretty much mandatory under Texas law if I read my copy of the Texas constitution correctly.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:16 am GMT
Texas is unhealthy. The food will make you gain weight. Go there at your peril.
Skippy   Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:49 pm GMT
I believe those are in the Texas Constitution, at least in one of the amendments.

And Texas is not unhealthy. The food will not make you gain weight. If you eat too much and don't work out then, yes, you will gain weight, but that's hardly Texas food making you fat as much as eating too much and being lazy.
pimpope   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:10 am GMT
"ldo you believe in the power of Holy spirit? I do believe that it can reach everyone in personal level. So whoever is born from flesh is flesh , whoever is born from spirit is spirit"

How would anyone re-born from spirit ? by going to church ?
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 pm GMT
<<How would anyone re-born from spirit ? by going to church ?>>

Pimpope, you have asked exactly the right person exactly the right question.

Laura, please instruct the Pope on spiritual rebirth!
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm GMT
Huh? I don't know exactly about the baptism in the Holy Spirit but I understand that there are at least two thoughts about it.

One is that when one becomes what is called a "Born-Again" Christian, one receives the Holy Spirit. This is basically the term that Jimmy Carter used, but I have doubts him and his beliefs in general judging on his latest efforts to be a senior statesman and solve the Middle East situation.

Born-Again basically means that one asks Jesus to forgive him (or her) for their sins. Some Catholics experience this feeling with their first confession, I understand. I am not Catholic, and in fact, I have never joined a church, but I have visited many and will talk to people about their religion/beliefs if they enjoy doing this. I make JWs run screaming from my home (just kidding), though.

Another thought is that one receives a kind of second blessing after becoming a Christian/becoming a Born-Again Christian. I'm not sure about this except I believe that people will pray for someone to receive the Holy Spirit.

In some churches there is an expectation that one will be able to speak in tongues (that is, unknown languages) after receiving the Holy Spirit, but this is not universal expected and in fact it is debated.

I'm not going to offer an opinion, just share this. If you have a strong opinion, perhaps you will share it.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
I happen to be Roman Catholic - not wildly and overtly practising it's true to say, and that's saying something, but RC none the less, and I do go to confession.

There really is something truly specially about the confessional - as soon as you are inside there you really feel you can open up your heart to the priest you hear but never quite see, which makes it even easier to say what you feel you need to say.

It's cleansing and cathartic to the mind and spirit and after receiving the blessing you almost dance away from there with the soul singing.

Then you're off out into the great big wicked world again and immediately start doing all over again what you confessed to doing to the priest with enormous contrition, and maybe even more. Well, you have to gather material once more don't you? What could be more boring than going to confession with nothing ripe and juicy to tell the father!
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 pm GMT
<<I make JWs run screaming from my home (just kidding), though. >>

That's not very religiously tolerant...
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 pm GMT
I said "just kidding". Anyway, I consider them a captive audience for my longwinded comments on religion and spirtuality, not to mention my kazoo playing...

Hope you got that.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:03 am GMT
Adding 'just kidding' doesn't make it better. It's still offensive.

I detest niggers let's lynch them all! (just kidding)

See, it's just not nice.
K. T.   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:24 am GMT
I think you just want to be provocative. I fail to see how it is offensive.
On the other hand, I would not use the word you used in your post unless I was required to quote someone in court, for example.