Why do some here wish that English was linguistically pure?

Guest   Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:00 am GMT
P.S. here's a link to the survey in case anyone is interested.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/tcga/tcgapdf/capelli-CB-03.pdf
Guest   Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:10 pm GMT
Well, the reason why some may want English to be linguistically pure is because other languages, like French, Dutch, Icelandic among many others have gone through great lengths in recent history to purify their tongues from foreign words and usages. Why should we not follow suit?
Guest   Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 am GMT
Yes, and French language protectionism is working so well, nobody says "le weekend" or "le look" or any of the other hordes of anglicisms creeping into the language. Even Icelandic has deigned to accept foreign words as well.
Guest   Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:53 am GMT
If nobody says those things, it must be working really well!
IMHO   Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:44 pm GMT
There is no purity in th English language....every time I write something there is a word of Romance background...or Greek....And in the future, newer generations are going to reduce the English language to two words: "like" and "basically" which are used 5 to 9 times per minute in any given conversation. At least that's my observation here in the US. British seem to speak a much better for of English...Adiós idioma inglés.
Guest   Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:41 pm GMT
At least that's my observation here in the US. British seem to speak a much better FOR of English...
Guest   Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:08 am GMT
<<There is no purity in th English language>>

So is there no purity to Spanish, French and German as well?
IMHO   Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:58 pm GMT
No, most of the languages have been exposed to different cultures and civilizations and in the process they have gained new words. The operative word is GAINED. So whatever you write in English is hightly likely it will contain Latin or Greek or German or a combination or some other language.
greg   Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:53 pm GMT
host : « It comes from hundreds of years of oppression and brainwashing from the Norman nobility, teaching the English people to loathe and despise their own heritage. »

Outre la noblesse normande au sens le plus strict, ce sont surtout les aristocrates franco-occitans, en général, qui sont parvenus à susciter chez leurs sujets anglo-saxons une soif inextinguible pour les lettres françaises. À ce titre, les écrits de Chaucer sont un bon exemple de sublimation linguistique et littéraire. On est très loin de l'oppression recyclée en haine de soi...
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:01 am GMT
My comment about brainwashing was tongue-in-cheek btw.
greg   Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:24 am GMT
Certes. Dans les Îles britanniques les "Normands" occupent l'exact symétrique du positionnement des "Belges" dans l'imaginaire hexagonal.
Guest   Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
<<How would you say "ignoramus" in pure English? >>

That's easy just insert your name here: " <Your Name > "

Ta da
Benny   Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
<<Certes. Dans les Îles britanniques les "Normands" occupent l'exact symétrique du positionnement des "Belges" dans l'imaginaire hexagonal.>>

Greg, my French is rusty but I think your use of "hexagonal" is a rather obscure and clever reference to France. If that's the case, are you saying that the Belgians are to the French what the Normans are to the British from a linguistic and socio-politial perspective? And when you say, "dans l'imaginaire hexagonal" are you therefore saying "in the French imagination"?
Travis   Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
>>Greg, my French is rusty but I think your use of "hexagonal" is a rather obscure and clever reference to France. If that's the case, are you saying that the Belgians are to the French what the Normans are to the British from a linguistic and socio-politial perspective? And when you say, "dans l'imaginaire hexagonal" are you therefore saying "in the French imagination"?<<

Mind you that mainland France is commonly referred to as "the Hexagon", due to its overall shape; such is not really all too obscure in and of itself...
greg   Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
Travis : « Mind you that mainland France is commonly referred to as "the Hexagon", due to its overall shape; such is not really all too obscure in and of itself... ».

Stimmt. In Wirklichkeit ist Frankreich in einem Sechsecke bloß **eingetragen**.

Benny : « [...] are you saying that the Belgians are to the French what the Normans are to the British from a linguistic and socio-politial perspective? ».

Non, en fait c'est l'inverse (le symétrique) : les "Normands" d'Outremanche représentent l'opposé des "Belges" à la française. Pour faire court : "Normands" outremanchais = "Antibelges" hexagonaux.

Benny : « And when you say, "dans l'imaginaire hexagonal" are you therefore saying "in the French imagination"? ».

Oui, tout à fait !