Why do some here wish that English was linguistically pure?

Threepwood   Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 pm GMT
"
It's already happening. No one really speaks of a *manual anymore. We say Handbook instead. "

I hear the word manual all the time. Where abouts in the Anglosphere do you reside?
guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
<<I hear the word manual all the time.>>

I hear 'manual' as an adjective (do manual work, etc), but not often as a noun in reference to a booklet

I'm in NC
Guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:28 pm GMT
I reject the notion that English will promptly be devoid of Latinisms. It is possible certain members of the uneducated class are reverting their focus to Germanic linguistic units as a substitute for Latinate ones, but this is not significant. It is educated individuals like myself who dictate the development of a language in its pure literary form, and educated persons are using Latinate linguistic units with a greater frequency every day, simply observe what is published in any modern academic journal and you will comprehend that what I express is verisimilar. The dialects of the poor disappear into the history tomes and are not remembered a century in the future.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:24 pm GMT
<<I reject the notion that English will promptly be devoid of Latinisms. It is possible certain members of the uneducated class are reverting their focus to Germanic linguistic units as a substitute for Latinate ones, but this is not significant. It is educated individuals like myself who dictate the development of a language in its pure literary form, and educated persons are using Latinate linguistic units with a greater frequency every day, simply observe what is published in any modern academic journal and you will comprehend that what I express is verisimilar. The dialects of the poor disappear into the history tomes and are not remembered a century in the future.>>

LOL. I think you've got it backwards there buddy.

Germanic andoms ("units") have to be learned through forteagueing ("education") as well. The more so, since they are more arrounade ("clandestine") and harder-sought. The harder-sought they are, the more they're worth ;)

I withchoose the encon that English will forthrightly be alear of Saxonights. It is meaguile some guildands of the unfortoguen folgueth are withcheering their "hearth" (t.i. "embhuiding"--;[LOL, that's what 'focus' means in Latin--"HEARTH" haha. Wow, that's real erudite!]--no actually, I would neet "enbhuiding" for 'focus') to Theudisque roardly andoms as a bespaling for Latinode ones, but this is not endbeconand...(sigh, boring...)
Doug E.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:44 pm GMT
"dialects of the poor "

Latinate words are common. They can be found in any poor man's dictionary. There's nothing special about them. What a crass and insensitive thing to say.
------------------------
"It is educated individuals like myself who dictate the development of a language in its pure literary form"

Good for you.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
Why not take Linugistic purity a step further and revert back to Proto Indo-European, or why not even further back in time, Proto-World anyone?
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
<<Why not take Linugistic purity a step further and revert back to Proto Indo-European, or why not even further back in time, Proto-World anyone? >>

I suppose the ultimate endpoint of linguistic purity would bring us back to a time before there was any language at all, at least on Earth.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:06 pm GMT
Ya no hay vuelta atrás. El inglés es una lengua germánica pero con un 60% de vocabulario latino. Deal with it!.
Julie   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm GMT
"hearth" (t.i. "embhuiding"--;[LOL, that's what 'focus' means in Latin--"HEARTH" haha. Wow, that's real erudite!]--no actually, I would neet "enbhuiding" for 'focus')

What you could do is say ~brandard~ from "brand" + "ord" - place/point for focus. I mean, it would equate to the same thing. In Latin focus meant fireplace and not what we in English have caused it to mean. And this word wasn't even found in Classical Latin.

Another word you might wanna try is ~honord~ from Engl. hone + ord

Imagine brandarding in or honording in on that : )
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:33 pm GMT
<<Ya no hay vuelta atrás. El inglés es una lengua germánica pero con un 60% de vocabulario latino.>>

WOW--40% of our wordhoard is German!? That's unbelievewirth! We're almost there!....
Elaine Marley   Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 pm GMT
My heart is broken, sigh.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:43 pm GMT
"There has also been a major Latin influence in English lexically. Although English is Germanic in grammar, its total vocabulary is largely Italic. Sixty percent of the English vocabulary [when counting entries in a dictionary*] has its roots in Latin (although much of this is indirect, mostly via Anglo-Norman and French). In the medieval period, much of this borrowing occurred through ecclesiastical usage established by Saint Augustine of Canterbury in the 6th century, or indirectly after the Norman Conquest, through the Anglo-Norman language.
Counting dictionary entries greatly skews this percentage, often double and triple counting the same Latin word in various forms (eg. please, pleasant, pleasure) while not properly counting all the native English words with analogous forms (eg. come, coming [adj], coming [gerund]). It also neglects to include all English words created with separated prefixes (i.e. verb + preposition) as exemplified by the different meanings of 'put', 'put up' and 'put up with'. Were these words formed as in Latin: 'put', 'upput', and 'withupput', they would be counted as three separate word entries. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:10 am GMT
"A while ago, the Malaysian government began curtailing immigration into their country, because foreigners were outnumbering the native population. Of course, Malaysians didn't want to be a minority in their own land. Same with English.

I don't necessarily want English to be "roan" ("sheer" or "pure"). I'd be happy with English being at least 70% native English.

If you're a native speaker of another language on this forum, wouldn't you also want at least the same for your "spoak" ("language")? "

There have been people who have tried to create a "pure" English tongue free from foreign elements. William Barnes created a whole new vocabulary with words like starlore for astronomy, folk-wain for carriage, wheelsaddle for bicycle etc but they didn't catch on.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:08 pm GMT
Where did all the language purists get to? This was quite an amusing confabulation.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:48 pm GMT
What language purists? No such people exist in reality, or maybe they're too busy developing their hundreds of thousands of Germanic words to be able to come here any more...