Top 100 Languages by Population

Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:35 am GMT
<< Generally, in the language section of bookshops in Australia - the Spanish section is the largest or close to the largest. In Australia, many people study Spanish or know it reasonably well. This is in addition to the native Spanish speakers. These significant additional numbers for Spanish do not appear to be included in the overall world total for Spanish. >>

I've been to Australia and the language that has the larges bookshop in Australia is French and not Spanish. French is required in high school subjects while Spanish is optional even in in college.

The next most popular foreign language in Oz is either Japanese or Italian. I really cannot understand why hispanics keep on insisting that their language is popular when it's not. Australians know which language is better to study and they find Spanish not so practical as compared to French, Japanese, or Italian. Thy're not superficial like most hispanics in this forum.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
ustralians know which language is better to study and they find Spanish not so practical as compared to French, Japanese, or Italian. Thy're not superficial like most hispanics in this forum.

That's a big contradiction in you statement, if Australians prefers practical languagues then why study Italian? Outside Italy (and some parts of Switzerland) is not useful.

Just don't feed the Anglo troll
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
It's not important where. Italian is the language of fashion, classical music, art, cuisine, design, sport car, ecc. Spanish is a poor people language.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
If you want to be poor learn Spanish.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 pm GMT
Australians study Italian also because this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Australian
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:16 pm GMT
Half of Italy is an underdeveloped country. Why studying Italian?.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
<<Half of Italy is an underdeveloped country. Why studying Italian?.>>

Because half of Italy is developed. You can't find one developed properly functioning town in Latin America. Italy is also a much more cultured place...
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
<<It's not important where. Italian is the language of fashion, classical music, art, cuisine, design, sport car, ecc. Spanish is a poor people language. >>

I always thought Spanish was the language of top-notch bullfighting, Mexican food (perhaps 2nd only to Chinese cooking in terms of world prominence, BTW), and fine hand-rolled cigars.
Por la boca muere el pez   Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
Este foro está lleno de MAMARRACHOS. Necesitais terapia urgentemente.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
Your only "terapia urgentemente" is to write bullshit, Spanish Spammer. Vive Sarkozy ...oops Viva Berlusconi
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 pm GMT
Are you Colombian Spanish Spammer? MAMARRACHOS is used a lot in Colombia.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:05 pm GMT
<<Your only "terapia urgentemente" is to write bullshit, Spanish Spammer. Vive Sarkozy ...oops Viva Berlusconi >>
INFLAGAITAS Y JACTANCIOSO
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:16 pm GMT
<<Are you Colombian Spanish Spammer? MAMARRACHOS is used a lot in Colombia.>>
Nope, but it's not odd because it's the same language although some words have different shades of meaning.
Este foro es una CATERVA DE FANTOCHES.
Guess again.
K. T.   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:09 am GMT
I haven't guessed and actually I've never been much interested in the French-Spanish wars here. On the other hand, "caterva de fantoches" is interesting. What does it REALLY mean to the poster? Is the poster a fan of Chilean poetry?
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:28 am GMT
<< I've been to Australia and the language that has the larges bookshop in Australia is French and not Spanish. French is required in high school subjects while Spanish is optional even in in college. >>

Yes, in Australia, the French sub-section in the language section of bookshops in Australia is almost always relatively large. However, from the book counts that I sometimes conduct in these bookshops, I usually find the Spanish sub-section to be the largest (On two occassions, I found the Italain sub-section to be the largest) of all languages (foreign).
In almost all cases, the French sub-section is not too far behind the Spanish sub-section and I would not be surprized if there were some bookshops were the French sub-section is larger. Note that my information has been gained from the Eastern parts of Australia.