Top 100 Languages by Population

Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:38 pm GMT
"I don't know why some Spanish people want to grab Italian heritage. Seems like the poor child jealous of the success of the cousin."

They do the same also with French.
What needs to be said   Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:46 am GMT
<< French is still prestigious them even to this century and coming centuries. >>

...and it shall remain the most glorious language in the universe until the end of time, and even after that because it must be the language of God.
(obvious sarcasm)

Seriously, why the hell do French speakers think the language is still so damn "prestigious"? This arogant attitude is one of the reasons that turned me off to French. Yeah, it can be romantic and beautiful, but also nasally and it commonly carries an unattractive stuck-up, elitist attitude that many people find unappealing. This is the 21st century and things have changed and are changing in the world.

French will not be "unimportant", but it is becoming more and more apparent that its true prominence was in the past. With English dominating the international scene and other large regional languages growing, French just isn't that special and really isn't any more practical than any other large world language today.

I'm not some hispanic either, so throw that accusation at me. I'm just telling it as it is. But I'm sure some of you can't accept this and will freak out instead of looking at reality.
oops   Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:50 am GMT
...so don't throw that accusation at me.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:34 am GMT
^ Thank you. My sentiments exactly. French is a nice language, but it is less useful today.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:21 am GMT
<< ..and it shall remain the most glorious language in the universe until the end of time, and even after that because it must be the language of God. (obvious sarcasm) >>

You're guilty of blasphemy.

<< ..and it shall remain the most glorious language in the universe until the end of time, and even after that because it must be the language of God.
(obvious sarcasm)

Seriously, why the hell do French speakers think the language is still so damn "prestigious"? This arogant attitude is one of the reasons that turned me off to French. Yeah, it can be romantic and beautiful, but also nasally and it commonly carries an unattractive stuck-up, elitist attitude that many people find unappealing. This is the 21st century and things have changed and are changing in the world.

French will not be "unimportant", but it is becoming more and more apparent that its true prominence was in the past. With English dominating the international scene and other large regional languages growing, French just isn't that special and really isn't any more practical than any other large world language today. >>

Just analyze everything. French became more important in the 20th and 21st centuries than in 19th century because at that time western civilization is restricted in Europe although made an expansion worldwide but not yet rooted.

It's obvious that English leapfrogged French because of the military and economic status of US so that's why English is more important nowadays. Did French decline just because of that? No, in fact it's now more widely spoken than in 19th century France, Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Haiti, Africa, Mauritius, Seychelles, and DOM-TOM and it's even making an inroad in non ex-French colonies like Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Gambia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Kenya, Sao Tome, Cape Verde, and Equatorial Guinea(analogous to English expansion in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, East Timor, and Macau ar the expense of French, Spanish, and Portuguese).

Those "linguist experts" could only say that French decline because of the rapid expansion of English which made it number 1. But let's not overlook that French made a great expansion too in the recent centuries as Russian, Spanish, and Arabic. Just because the French language expansion is lesser compared to English it doesn't mean that French declined.

US may have grabbed the status as the undisputed economic and military(with Russia) superpower but it failed to grab the status as the cultural superpower from France and that's one of the factors that made French still so important in the world scene aside from the fact that it's spoken outside France natively, secondary/near native,or as an acquired/learned/foreign language.

Peace!
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:27 am GMT
<< Thanks for your help. But, also poor you!, you could have had a bigger prize, if you hadn't jumped the gun. >>

Sorry about that! I thought you were one of those spammers who keep on contradicting my messages.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:28 am GMT
<<You're guilty of blasphemy.>>

God is guilty of blasphemy for insulting Satan - the true God of man!
What needs to be said   Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:34 am GMT
<< but it failed to grab the status as the cultural superpower from France >>

Are you sure about that? France "once was" a cultural superpower, but much of its cultural power today in linked to the past, in more of a nostalgic way. The other month I even read a TIME magazine article titled - France: In search of past glories. Note the word "past".
The US has the most influencial culture worldwide today by far and is the cultural superpower, not France. Only snooty, francophiles think otherwise.

And don't get me wrong Guest. I don't think French is unimportant or that it is in danger. Only that I think some give it too much importance and prestige given the current situation with English and other large growing regional langauges.

Sorry but it is doubtful that French will displace English in those Anglophone African coutries you listed. Maybe it will make some inroads as you say, but seriously, what would a developing country have to gain by replacing English with French??? Nothing. English is the dominate international language so they would be better off with English.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:36 am GMT
How is French more of a cultural superpower than the US today? In what way besides wine and cheese? I don't see it.
JIAJIA   Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:45 am GMT
I'm a native Mandarin speaker, I can tell you the current status in China.

1、 English---absolutely no doubt.

2、Japanese---the most developed Asian country,a lot of companies in China.

3、German---less companies than Japan has in China,but still very important.

4、French---less companies than German has in China,but still very useful.

5、Italian---China has an Italian Zone in Tianjin City,which includes sightseeing street, commercial area, cultural buildings, and so on. Tianjin city has a good relationship with Lombardia Zone of Italy.

6、Spanish---If you study it very well, maybe you can earn more salary when you become a tour guide.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:29 am GMT
In USA, the status is very different:

1. Spanish: the most studied language. More than a half of the students choose this language.

2. French: it is second but is declining the number of students and speakers.

3. German: it is third, but is declining too.

4. Italian: it is fouth. Not bad, because is a language only spoken in Italy.

5. Japanese: this language is fighting with Chinese to be 5.

6. Chinese: this language will be 4th in some years.

Arabic is also increasing the number of students.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:56 am GMT
In European Union the status is also different:

1. English, the most studied language

2. German, very studied in Central Europe.

3. French, very studied in Western Europe

4. Spanish, very studied in Western Europe.

5. Russian, very studied in Eastern Europe.

6. Italian, very studied in Slovenia, Austria and Malta. It will be 5th in the near future.

PD. Russian WAS compulsory in Eastern Europe, but not now. So, it will decline in the near future.
Guest   Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:59 am GMT
<< I'm a native Mandarin speaker, I can tell you the current status in China.

1、 English---absolutely no doubt.

2、Japanese---the most developed Asian country,a lot of companies in China.

3、German---less companies than Japan has in China,but still very important.

4、French---less companies than German has in China,but still very useful.

5、Italian---China has an Italian Zone in Tianjin City,which includes sightseeing street, commercial area, cultural buildings, and so on. Tianjin city has a good relationship with Lombardia Zone of Italy.

6、Spanish---If you study it very well, maybe you can earn more salary when you become a tour guide. >>

The above can be challenged.

The type of government that there is in China, is very similar (same name) to that in certain Spanish speaking countries - for example Cuba.
In this era, the next language after English that China included in its TV broadcasts (CCTV 4 or CCTV? or ?????) is Spanish. In including Spanish second, the Chinese government noted the closeness of China's government with the governments of a number of Spanish speaking countries. "6. Spanish"?? doesn't even mention that Spanish can be used to advance a political career in China.
JIAJIA   Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:06 am GMT
<In USA, the status is very different:
1. Spanish: the most studied language. More than a half of the students choose this language.>

It's just because:
1, USA has some Latin American neibour countries such as Mexico.
2, As we know, a lot of illegal imigrates has been pouring into USA.
3, British English seems just like Italian (sometimes a little complicated) in terms of spelling & so on, while American English seems like Latin Spanish (spelling being considered as simple rule).
JIAJIA   Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:18 am GMT
<The above can be challenged.

The type of government that there is in China, is very similar (same name) to that in certain Spanish speaking countries - for example Cuba.
In this era, the next language after English that China included in its TV broadcasts (CCTV 4 or CCTV? or ?????) is Spanish. In including Spanish second, the Chinese government noted the closeness of China's government with the governments of a number of Spanish speaking countries. "6. Spanish"?? doesn't even mention that Spanish can be used to advance a political career in China. >

Yes, China government has a real good friendship with the coutries in Africa & Latin America, but please note that Spanish TV channel was born for some political factors, and perhaps due to the large population of Latin America, I think it doesn't mean that Spanish has been or would be the second important language (English is the NO. 1) in CHINA. And if you're interested in it, please investigate which is the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th language that students would like to choose in universities of CHINA.