Eur.Spanish, Eur.Portuguese, Lat.Spanish, Bra.Portuguese?

Loris   Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 am GMT
Living near Macau and East Timor (as well as relatively near the former portuguese territories in India, where Portuguese is also spoken), I would say Portuguese would be a good option. But the choise relays heavily on what you intend to do with it : just for personnal development, or do you also plan to make a professional tool out of it?... If you're planning making your living through this new language, notice Angola is potentially one of the most rich countries in the world, having petroil, diamants, gold and other natural resources; and all big trade there goes on in Portuguese.

Anyway, don't give to much credit to that Brazillian x European Portuguese talk. It's the same language, grammatically speaking, with a minor differences in elements placements, elipses and few more (I'm talking about educated urban standards, of course, not regionalisms or sociolects); only the phonology is quite different.

About phonology, many people prefer the softer sounding Brazillian version. That's a matter of subjectivity. Yet one objective factor you should have in mind is that European version is phonologicaly richer, meaning, it has more variety of sounds (which provides more expressive potential to the language). in fact European Portuguese phonology is one of the more complex and rich in the world. In contrast, Brazillian version of Portuguese is relatively poor.
kenz   Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 am GMT
<<But Brazilian Portuguese might surpass Italian to become the 6th studied language in the near future? Is it more difficult than Italian or not? Thanks!>>
I'm italian and I also speak Brazilian Portuguese.
Italian grammar is more difficult, actually.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:09 am GMT
I'm not Italian nor Portuguese speaker. Italian grammar is a piece of cake. Actually Brazilian Portuguese is much more difficult.
Guest10   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:14 am GMT
Well, Brazil will be more important than Italy economically in the near future. However, there is not a tendency to study Portuguese. It is difficult to say.

At the same time, Brazilian Portuguese is easier to understand for Spanish speakers (the sounds are more nasal and difficult in European Portuguese).

I confirm that Portuguese is almost not studied in USA (at least it is not in the top ten languages). At the same time, it is not studied in European Union (0% of speakers as second language). That is the problem of Portuguese: It is not studied in USA and European Union. In my opinion, this language is underestimated.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0905275.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am GMT
<< Philippines in Asia is extinct >>

What Happened to the Philippines?? I think it is still there.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:37 am GMT
<< Think about it, Spanish is only spoken in Europe and Latin America. >>

Spanish is spoken in Australia.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:38 am GMT
Spanish is spoken in Antarctica.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:59 am GMT
Portuguese sounds far better than Spanish (European+Lat.America)...

Europearn Portuguese sound a little better than Brazilian Portuguese...
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:01 am GMT
Europea Portuguese sounds like farting.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:13 am GMT
Hispanic troll

Spanish sounds like barking, or shooting with machine gun.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:09 pm GMT
<< Spanish is spoken in Australia. >>

What's your basis? El Questro Estate in Kimberley, WA?

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 pm GMT
吃的過多
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm GMT
go to grass, hispanic fanatics.
foie grass   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:14 pm GMT
Portuguese is a Spanish province.
Rui   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm GMT
With Portuguese you'll have the advantage of understanding Spanish fluntly, and I might add, even written Italian. The other way around is more difficult as Spanish doesn't have as many as dictongs as Portuguese.

Don't bother about the differences between the South American accents and European one's. They are pretty much the same.

Spanish is way more studied than Portuguese around the world, I would say something like 1/20. That's an advantage but if you want to learn something different go to Portuguese.