Eur.Spanish, Eur.Portuguese, Lat.Spanish, Bra.Portuguese?

Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:22 am GMT
L'espagnol est un bon langage pour les types frénétique, qui aime à sombrer dans l'oubli.
Taiwanese   Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:21 pm GMT
<Portuguese is more important than Spanish:

portuguese: 35 millions secondary and foreign speakers

Spanish: 20 millions "secondary" and "foreign" speakers.>

Are you sure that Portuguese is more important than Spanish, if so, I'll go for Portuguese next year.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:27 pm GMT
Portuguese and Spanish are practically the same language. Learn one of them and later ,in three months or less you'll master the other.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm GMT
If you're going to learn Spanish, I'd say Mexican Spanish would be the best choice because Mexico has the largest Spanish-speaking population, and I'd assume you'd be able to communicate effortlessly with Spanish speakers from other countries.

As for Portuguese, I wouldn't recommend learning Brazilian Portuguese. Too many vowel sounds that don't need to be there, words sound drawn out and it takes forever to pronounce a simple sentence because Brazilians enunciate every sound.

Take the word "excelente". To a Portuguese person it sounds like one syllable, perhaps two depending on how you pronounce it. Brazilians make it into a four-syllable word. Bom dia should NOT sound like "bon gia", and "dizer" (to say) should sound like it starts in a d and not a g.

Also, a d is pronounced like a g, and it's just a mess. European Portuguese sounds much more classy, even if some of the sounds are slightly harsh sounding. At least you won't sound slow and unintelligent.

^ As it might be assumed, my mother is from Portugal so my preference for European Portuguese stem from that. Also keep in mind that while Brazil has the largest Portuguese speaking population, every other Portuguese speaking country pronounces their words the European way, as they should.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
^ And don't forget "sete" sounding like "set-chee" and the mispronunciation of several consonent sounds.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm GMT
Taiwanese, most Spanish-speakers are not even taking serious this thread because there is just no comparason, I mean I like portuguese, but comparing it with Spanish would be like comparing Korean with Chinese.
Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:52 pm GMT
Is interesting that a Taiwanese want to learn Portuguese or Spanish but not other languages that some fanatics here speak all the time
Taiwanese   Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:25 am GMT
<<If you're going to learn Spanish, I'd say Mexican Spanish would be the best choice because Mexico has the largest Spanish-speaking population, and I'd assume you'd be able to communicate effortlessly with Spanish speakers from other countries.

As for Portuguese, I wouldn't recommend learning Brazilian Portuguese. Too many vowel sounds that don't need to be there, words sound drawn out and it takes forever to pronounce a simple sentence because Brazilians enunciate every sound.

Take the word "excelente". To a Portuguese person it sounds like one syllable, perhaps two depending on how you pronounce it. Brazilians make it into a four-syllable word. Bom dia should NOT sound like "bon gia", and "dizer" (to say) should sound like it starts in a d and not a g.

Also, a d is pronounced like a g, and it's just a mess. European Portuguese sounds much more classy, even if some of the sounds are slightly harsh sounding. At least you won't sound slow and unintelligent.

^ As it might be assumed, my mother is from Portugal so my preference for European Portuguese stem from that. Also keep in mind that while Brazil has the largest Portuguese speaking population, every other Portuguese speaking country pronounces their words the European way, as they should. >>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obrigado!!!