Which country is the most Latin: France, Spain or Italy?

Guest2   Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:07 pm GMT
"I'm so incredibly Latin that my ass has started to bleed..."

You should let a vet take a look at it then.
Mihaela   Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
Romanian is the closest to latin. We were colonized by romans 2000 years ago, and as romanians, we understand all latin languages.
Valerio   Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:14 am GMT
I am from a place called Rome. It is in Lazio, a part of Italy that in latin is called Latium. Probably I am more "Latin" than some people from Spain or Romania. I too speak a language that was changed by Gauls and Etruscans of Tuscany, but still very near to Latin.
michael   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:14 am GMT
people seem to forget also that all of northern italy today was part of the region known as gaul.
Alessandro   Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:26 am GMT
Not "gaul": "Gallia Cisalpina".

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallia_cisalpina
eastlander   Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Northern Italy was region of germanic people Lombards (Langobardi)-"Long Beards" in early middle ages.
the truth   Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
"Anglos are part Celtic according to recent genetic studies."

Being Celtic, Latin, germanic, slavic, etc... IS NOT a question of genetics...
But a culture, and more spcifically LANGUAGE !

Discussing who is latin, celtic, germanic or celtic on a "genetic" point of view has just no more meaning than discussing who is genetically more christian, muslim, bhudist of hindousit... culture (language or religion) has nothing to see with physical appearance... why so many people here can't understant that.

PS: and also physical appearance is not homogenous in each nationality... so saying that french people of other is "genetically" has no meaning since everyone is genetically different. what unites a people/nationality is culture, language and politics, not genetics.
Blancmange   Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
It tends to be the case though, that a group of people united under a common language and culture become genetically closer to each other through mixing, so there is some basis to it.
Guest   Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm GMT
<<It tends to be the case though, that a group of people united under a common language and culture become genetically closer to each other through mixing, so there is some basis to it. >>

yes, people in South Western France are more similar to people from North France than to the Spanish that live closer to them due to they mixed with other French speakers. Common language leads to genetic convergence.
Brice de Nîmes (et non pa   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:20 pm GMT
dear guest,

"yes, people in South Western France are more similar to people from North France than to the Spanish that live closer to them due to they mixed with other French speakers. Common language leads to genetic convergence."

What you say is wrong, I am from Nîmes, located in France, we speak french but we have bodegas, ferias, corridas and everything wich symbolizes the spanish culture.

But the question wouold be: what is spanish?
Basque? Galician? Catalan? Andaluzian?

Your total lack of knowledge shows you do not know anything.
G7   Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:42 pm GMT
Your total lack of knowledge shows you do not know anything.

Very nice tautology....
Guest   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
<<What you say is wrong, I am from Nîmes, located in France, we speak french but we have bodegas, ferias, corridas and everything wich symbolizes the spanish culture.
>>

Darling, I was talking about South Western France. Nimes is more to the East. I visited the French Basque country, Bourdeaux,and those places, not Languedoc. Anyway you talk about cultural aspects, not physical appearance. When one crosses the border from Spain to France and viceversa can see clearly certain differences, not big but noticeable. People in South France are more similar to the Northerners than to the Spaniards, and I mean Northern Spaniards , those who live close to the border. The reason is clear and simple: people who share same language end up mixing and converge genetically.
Citronella   Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
Is Switzerland a Latin country or Germanic?
Svensker   Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 pm GMT
@Citronella

You have no life.
Citronella   Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
<< @Citronella

You have no life. >>

You are right, but what about Switzerland?