"thank God"

JV   Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 pm GMT
Why do so many atheists still say "thank God"? I'm an atheist, and I never say that. It's "thank goodness". People continuing to say "thank God" is keeping religion in society. We need to stop saying that.
Laura Braun   Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:40 pm GMT
sure you have to stop using Thank God, because that's one of the God's rule. Do not mention God's name in vain. So if you use it without meaning anything that's too bad. Yeah. you have to stop using it.
BTW : In what do you believe as an atheist?
Laura Braun   Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:44 pm GMT
It's in tenth comandment:
7 You shall not make wrongful use of the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not acquit anyone who misuses his name.

Better to stop using it. That's for sure.
Guest   Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
God's name is not God, so if you say "Thank God" you do not say his/her name in vain. God's name is unknown by most of us. His/her true name is in Hebrew and is very complicate.
svealander   Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:23 pm GMT
<<Why do so many atheists still say "thank God"? I'm an atheist, and I never say that. It's "thank goodness". People continuing to say "thank God" is keeping religion in society. We need to stop saying that.>>

'Thank goodness' is just a euphemism for 'thank g-d'. Much like 'crikey' for 'chr-st' or 'sugar' for 'sh-t'.
Johnny   Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:27 pm GMT
<<Why do so many atheists still say "thank God"?>>

It's an idiom that is common in the English language (and other languages too). It doesn't matter where idioms come from or whether they make sense or not. The only thing that matters is the way they're used.

<<BTW : In what do you believe as an atheist?>>

Atheists believe in a god called Athe (pronounced like "Eighth"). That's because he's the eighth god in order of power and popularity. The seven other gods before Athe are much cooler than him, and are much better at performing miracles.

This thread doesn't make much sense, so it's probably going to be deleted, I think.
Caspian   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
<<His/her true name is in Hebrew and is very complicate. >>

Really? I never knew God had an actual name. Anybody know what it is?
choose   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:29 pm GMT
Johnny,
I have recently been somewhat following your posts. As much as I hate to say this, they are HILARIOUS.
Lazar   Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 pm GMT
As Johnny indicated, "thank God" is just an idiom of religious origin that has entered the popular language. It doesn't imply belief in a monotheistic deity any more than the word "Wednesday" and "Thursday" imply a belief in Odin and Thor.

I would simply add that atheists are distinguished by being athier than the regular athies.
Buddy   Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 pm GMT
<<Why do so many atheists still say "thank God"? I'm an atheist, and I never say that. It's "thank goodness". People continuing to say "thank God" is keeping religion in society. We need to stop saying that. >>

God is not religion, nor is belief in God or any god for that matter. No more than my belief in you. If you give me a cup of cold water and I say "Thank you, JV" is that suddenly an establishment of a JV-religion?
Sigmondo Froido   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
Why do you assume they're referring to your god anyway? I, personally, always am referring to the Genghis Khan, who is my saviour.
Wintereis   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:30 pm GMT
The name of the name of the Judeo-Christian god is Yahweh. It is odd that Christians do not know this and someone like myself, who finds very little to appreciate in the Abrahamic religions, knows what it is. But this is not all that surprising. Christians rarely know anything abut their own religions.

From Wikipedia--

"Yahweh is the English rendering of יַהְוֶה, a vocalization of the Tetragrammaton יהוה that was proposed by the Hebrew scholar Gesenius in the 19th century.

יהוה had been vocalized as יְהֹוָה in the Masoretic Text that underlies the Old Testament of the King James Bible, however this vocalization יְהֹוָה had been disputed by Hebrew scholars from as early as 1604 A.D.

יַהְוֶה was proposed in a period of the 19th century when the vocalized Hebrew punctuation יְהֹוָה, from which Jehovah is derived, was finally rejected by Hebrew scholars, who did not believe that it accurately represented the original pronunciation of God's Hebrew name.[5]

Gesenius's proposed punctuation יַהְוֶה is believed to represent Ιαβε which is Epiphanius's Greek Transcription of the Tetragrammaton. [6]

Modern observant Jews no longer voice the name יהוה aloud. It is believed to be too sacred to be uttered and is often referred to as the 'Ineffable', 'Unutterable' or 'Distinctive Name'.[1][2] (See Name of God in Judaism.) Various proposals still exist for the vocalization of יהוה in which the stem of the name Yahweh (Yah) remains widely accepted but discrepancies exist on agreement of the ending ('weh'). Early Christian literature written in Greek used spellings like Ιαβε and Ἰαουε that can be transcribed by 'Yahweh'. This pronunciation and spelling, as with many religious and scholarly issues, remains the subject of ongoing debate, see Criticisms and theories on Yahweh.[3]"
Eintereis   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:31 pm GMT
<<The name of the name of the Judeo-Christian god is Yahweh.>>

Sorry, should only be one "the name of" in that sentence.
Pat   Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
<<Christians rarely know anything abut their own religions.>.

Religion is a manmade thing.
Pat   Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
God may exist, but religion is manmade.