made up languages

Fundador   Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:11 am GMT
Lol, do you know what's the most made up language?

Tagalog - Official Philippine Language, as a replacement for Spanish.

It is a mix of

Chinese(fukien)
Malay
Indonesian

and whatsoever..

don't forget the 6,000 Spanish words in that language, the spellings were just changed.

Reason why us Filipinos have different grammar structures, because that language is messed up lol.

Also there's this "TAGLISH" which is a mix of Tagalog and English, since English is also the official language of the Philippines.

(Make Spanish the official language of the Philippines AGAIN)
Maribel   Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:51 am GMT
<< Tagalog - Official Philippine Language, as a replacement for Spanish. >>

I know you're probably just kidding, but let me just stress to those not familiar with the language(s) situation in the Philippines: Tagalog is not a made up language. It's the native, home-grown language of the Tagalog people.

The official language of the Philippines is "Filipino" (or "Pilipino"), which is based on Tagalog, but has incorporated many words of foreign origin (English, Spanish, and Lan-nang primarily) and words taken from the other native Philippine languages, and standardized to form the national language of all the Filipino people (in theory. Many non-Tagalog Filipinos reject this state sanctioned "foreign" language being imposed on them). This is analogous to Italian, which is based on the Tuscan dialect (or language, if you will), mixed with words from the southern Italian languages, such as Sicilian, and standardized to form the de jure language of the Italian people. As such, Filipino is probably what Fundador is referring to when he says Tagalog is a "made up" language.

That said, you will often hear or read about Tagalog being the official language of the Philippines. This is because many people, including Filipinos themselves, either don't know the difference between Tagalog and Filipino or they dismiss Filipino as simply Tagalog with English loanwords and Metromanileño slang.

Some examples of Tagalog to Filipino language evolution:

English: "Have you finished your homework assignment?"
Tagalog: "Natapos mo na ba yung takdang-aralin mo?"
Filipino: "Natapos mo na ba yung asaynment (assignment) mo?"

English: "Please call the driver."
Tagalog: "Pakitawag ang tsuper."
Filipino: "Pakitawag ang drayber (driver)."

English: "Can you explain it to me?"
Tagalog: "Maaring ipaunawa mo sa akin?" or "Pwedeng ipaliwanag mo sa akin?" (pwedeng - from Spanish "puede")
Filipino: "Pwedeng i-ekspleyn (i-explain) mo sa akin?"

In most cases, you will find Filipinos using the Filipino language examples than the Tagalog.
Guest   Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:26 am GMT
The reason why Filipinos switched to English in an instant it's because when the Philippines was still under the control of Spain, few Filipinos had acess to education that the majority of them coud not even read or write.

By the time the Philippines was under American rule, many of them got a taste of education for the very first time. Their self esteem was uplifted which they did not experience during the Spanish regime.

If only the Spanish authorities cared for the education of the Filipinos by setting up schools all over the country, then at least the Filipinos would have been still speaking Spanish.

Furthermore, the biggest mistake of the Spanish authorities was they did not teach the native peolple to speak Spanish with the exception of those few who had access to education and therefore they belong to the upper class which were called Hispanized natives. They had a fear that if the entire people of the archipelago shared a common language, they could easily rebel because since they could easily communicate to each other. So the Spanish authorites let the vernacular languages flourish which is equivalent to tribalism that the native Filipinos did not have a little knowledge of the cultures and languages of those who belong outside their ethnic group. It wa like a DIVIDE AND RULE tactic.

So, who's to blame to this present linguistic and cultural situation?
Fundador   Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:12 am GMT
--->Some examples of Tagalog to Filipino language evolution:

English: "Have you finished your homework assignment?"
Tagalog: "Natapos mo na ba yung takdang-aralin mo?"
Filipino: "Natapos mo na ba yung asaynment (assignment) mo?"

English: "Please call the driver."
Tagalog: "Pakitawag ang tsuper."
Filipino: "Pakitawag ang drayber (driver)."

English: "Can you explain it to me?"
Tagalog: "Maaring ipaunawa mo sa akin?" or "Pwedeng ipaliwanag mo sa akin?" (pwedeng - from Spanish "puede")
Filipino: "Pwedeng i-ekspleyn (i-explain) mo sa akin?"

In most cases, you will find Filipinos using the Filipino language examples than the Tagalog.<---

Looking at "Filipino" , there are no such words as ekspleyn or drayber etc. Reason why I find our language plainly stupid. We are lacking so much words,therefore we spell English words in our way and make it look Tagalog, which is bull****.

Very few Filipinos,especially in Manila use the words Tsuper, which is originally a Spanish word. Most of us say driver.In my whole life living in the Philippines and as a Tagalog speaker, I refuse to use so much of our words for the fact that they sound stupid and know that they are not even being used by the majority at all.

Tagalog is only spoken in the major cities in the northern part of the country, also in a very few major cities in the central and southern part. Zamboanga's dialects are Cebuano,Chabacano and Spanish. Though "a few" of them might know Tagalog, they are not fluent in speaking it. I have a friend from Zamboanga, he speaks Spanish perfectly.

Plus Tagalog is too informal. How do you say upuan in a formal way in Tagalog?, according to Mrs. Sauco, an expert in Tagalog language and an author of many Filipino subject books in the Philippines. Upuan is "NOT" the proper way to say "chair" in Tagalog, the proper way to say it is "SALUNG PWET" ,which means! "CATCH BUTT" in English, what the hell is that? lol.

We definitely need Spanish back or just impose the English as the primary language. Of course it is nice to have a language that we can call ours, but we cannot fully take credit of that Tagalog language for the fact that it still uses many foreign words from our neighboring countries and the 2000+ Spanish words in it as well.
Gerry   Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:40 am GMT
>>Looking at "Filipino" , there are no such words as ekspleyn or drayber etc. Reason why I find our language plainly stupid. We are lacking so much words,therefore we spell English words in our way and make it look Tagalog, which is bull****.<<

Do you find English stupid because it borrowed words from French, Spanish, Latin, Greek, etc.? Do you find French stupid because it has incorporated such terms as "le weekend", "le smoking", "le training", etc. into their vocabulary? All the world's languages have borrowed from other langauges, so why is it "bull****" for Filipino to borrow words from English and respell them to fit the native orthography? You say there are no such words as 'ekspleyn' or 'drayber', well Filipino is a living language that continues to evolve, so now there is.

And I'd like to know why you're so accepting of Spanish loanwords into the Filipino lexicon, but somehow you deem English loanwords as stupid?
Tiffany   Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:56 am GMT
<<And I'd like to know why you're so accepting of Spanish loanwords into the Filipino lexicon, but somehow you deem English loanwords as stupid?>>

This is a very good question indeed.
Fundador   Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:57 am GMT
<<And I'd like to know why you're so accepting of Spanish loanwords into the Filipino lexicon, but somehow you deem English loanwords as stupid?>>

Because Spanish was our original "first" official language and therefore replaced by an "incomplete" language which is Tagalog.A language that uses compiled words from many foreign languages. Another reason why I find the "Tagalog" stupid, it did not only borrow words from Malay, Chinese, Spanish and English,there's also Japanese, korean and many other foreign language.

Malaysian = gunting = cut
Filipino = gunting = scissors

Spanish = Queso
Filipino = Keso ,some people will say it in English and say "TSIS" (cheese) ,which really looks stupid and funny if you are a Filipino haha.

more than 70% of Tagalog is made up of foreign languages.

Many Tagalog speakers who reside in Manila and other cities think the same, that is the mentality in this country. I mean..pshh!! cmon!, we need some originality. Spain made us a country,they named us and everything, then why change the official language just because they mistreated the natives?, lol

If you write an essay in class, and you write down "TSIS" or "DRAYBER" , the teacher will deduct points for that. They will accept "KESO" or "TSUPER" (chofer in Spanish) . See what I mean?, most teachers also do not accept "SALUNG PWET" which is the proper way to say "CHAIR" in Tagalog. They find it very improper, but they will accept "SILYA" which is "cilla" in Spanish.

Go to Manila,Philippines and write something in Tagalog with the English words edited to Tagalog words such as CHEESE (TSIS) , BUILDING (BILDING), everyone will burst out laughing at you. That's 100% guaranteed. LOL
Fundador   Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:05 am GMT
And the thing is.. many Filipinos DO NOT KNOW, that we are using Spanish words, so for them, they believe that it is Tagalog,not Spanish. But English is very visible in the Philippines right now, almost everyone speaks it and understands it.

So if you spell an English word in Tagalog, good luck, you just made yourself a clown. But if you spell a Spanish word in Tagalog, they will think its normal, or if you spell it in Spanish, they will say "Man you're too ancient",but they will still think its normal, it just makes you too "old style" , you get what I mean? lol

Tagalog with English words example :

Kunin mo ang "NOWTBUK" (Notebook)
Get the notebook

Try writing that "notebook" in Tagalog in any place you go to Philippines, you'll jump off from a buildings rooftop from embarassment.

Tagalog with Spanish words example :

Kunin mo ang "kwaderno" (cuaderno)
Get the notebook

Usual reaction if you spell notebook using the proper Spanish word :

Man you spell like my grandma.

Usual reaction if you spell notebook using the TAGALOG VERSION of the English word (NOWTBUK) :

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT WORD!?,DO YOU SPEAK TAGALOG OR ANOTHER DIALECT?

or

HAHAHAHAHA WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SPELLING MAN!, YOU SPELL IT LIKE THIS "N-O-T-E-B-O-O-K" , NOT LIKE THAT.

--They will think that you are stupid--

Hopefully this answers your question hahaha!!
Fundador   Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 am GMT
Let me share a story..i'm so bored. When I was in highschool, it was a Filipino class. We had a "Filipino spelling" test. I remember one of the words were "building"

Most of my classmates wrote "BILDING" ,then everyone just started laughing at themselves and I heard someone say "I swear our language is horrible".

Then when we were already checking the Filipino spelling test, when the teacher got to the "building" word spelled in Tagalog version, he started laughing and wrote "BILDING" on the board. Now what does that mean?,hahaha!!

I remember in another Filipino spelling test, there was a word "keso".
Some of my classmates wrote "queso" some wrote "keso" , the teacher accepted both.

If you are Filipino, I'm guessing you're around 40's :P ,not to disrespect but our generation is different from yours sir :)
Guest   Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:50 pm GMT
Calmaos! Debemos bajar nuestras bragas primero y despues comenzar a desanudarnos.
bob   Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:18 pm GMT
wtf
Guest   Tue May 15, 2007 7:52 pm GMT
The reason why Filipinos switched to English in an instant it's because when the Philippines was still under the control of Spain, few Filipinos had acess to education that the majority of them coud not even read or write.
---------

I learned later that they're lying what they teach you in Philippine schools, because free public schools that taught Spanish were set up all around the Philippines in the early 1800s if you look it up in history, the only problem was that you have to remember that the only natives who had interest in it were those acculturated to Spanish culture, in other words, those within the Spanish cities Cebu and Manila, the other natives did not have interest in learning Spanish because they were OUTSIDE of the social sphere of the Spaniards and retained their indigenous cultures and languages. What they say about Spaniards deliberately not teaching Spanish to natives just to keep them ignorant is false, because if that was so, then what about all of those educated ILUSTRADOS who are full native-blooded, but spoke Spanish fluently as lengua madre? I believe that assumption is just another myth from the Anti-Spanish American propoganda that would have us believe that education started when the Americans arrived, being "benevolent" (even though they killed MILLIONS of Filipinos in the early 1900s in 10 years, more than all the Filipinos that died combined in 300 years of Spanish colonization)

There's a lot of twisted information they're teaching in the history books in the Philippines, that teaches Filipinos to worship Americans and the English language, and view anything that is Spanish (including the Spanish part of the culture of the Filipinos) as inferior, therefore leading to a view of themselves as inferior -- to Americans.
s.jack   Wed May 16, 2007 8:02 am GMT
Guest:Serbian, Bosnian are made up languages. Its like someone saying they speak "American". No you dont you speak English, or Croatian.

This is why it was called Serbocroatian or Croatoserbian in former Yu. There were also attempts to form a "Yugoslav" language a mixture of all republics' languages. It's all politics.
Caspian   Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:07 pm GMT
I have been working on a language myself, called Melingel (My good language). The language has 3 genders; Good, bad and Neuter. Also, obviously, it has a plural form.

Here is "I have a green car" in the different genders:

Good: Mo häbo en fere Atämel.
Bad: Mo häbo en feri Atämep.
Neuter: Mo häbo en fera Atäm.

Plural (I have 2 green cars): Mo häbo du fers Atämem.
Guest   Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:50 pm GMT
Dear Josh and Brennus,

Could you please delete the message of Pogi. I can speak Tagalog and "tae kau" means "You're shit".

Thank you!