Why are Chinese characters still used?

fei   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:29 am GMT
I don't think this topic is worth discussing.
Why you don't learn Chinese characters ? It's not important that which one is easier.
CANadian   Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:59 pm GMT
<< I don't think this topic is worth discussing.
Why you don't learn Chinese characters ? It's not important that which one is easier. >>

Dude, this is a LINGUISTIC forum, this is what we do, discuss/compare/contrast languages... if you don't wanna talk about it or don't think it's worth it, then just leave.
Mo Shui   Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:45 am GMT
<<Ok Mo Shui, I'll give you the basketball thing, how about the rest of them which Western and I brought up:

动物 (Thing that moves -how should I know it's an animal?-)
动人 (Man thing -What does that have to do with Touching?-)
... >>

I simplified the story a little to try to make it easier for you to understand the concept. Of course, it’s more complicated than that in real life. When a character combines with another to form a new word or concept. They tend to inject new life into one another and expand their definitions.

生物 means a living thing in Chinese.
动物 means a living thing that moves, i.e. an animal.
物here is understood to be a 生物 and not an object 物品…

… I give up! I found that whenever I tried to make something clear to you, something else that needed further explanation popped up…

You really need to know the language to understand how the logic works. Believe me! It’s not as dull or confusing or mechanical as you imagine it to be. Every Chinese character has its own life and soul. Learning the Chinese language and getting to know those characters is a fascinating journey. Those characters might appear daunting to a beginner but they are really full of fun and surprises once you get the hang of it. Just imagine! Many characters have survived four or five thousand years if not more, and are still alive and kicking. There must be something to them that they are able to remain vital for such a long period of time…

You may still think that I’m blinded by my ethnic pride. For your information, neither Mandarin nor English is my mother tongue. I don’t have such ethnic burden on me. I can remain rather objective as far as a comparison between Mandarin and English is concerned.

I consider myself very lucky to have mastered both Mandarin and English. I believe this is the best combination if one wishes to master more than one language. These are two very different and yet very similar languages.

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the Chinese language among the Westerners. And most misconceptions have probably arisen from their superiority complex. Well, my advice is – try to learn and understand the language and it will most likely be a journey that will broaden your horizons.
CANadian   Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 am GMT
<< Of course, it’s more complicated than that in real life. When a character combines with another to form a new word or concept. They tend to inject new life into one another and expand their definitions. >>

So, do you finally conscede that it wasn't as easy as you made it sound, and that characters (and by extension, Chinese) are at least just as hard as alphabets (and by extension, English)?

<< There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the Chinese language among the Westerners. And most misconceptions have probably arisen from their superiority complex. >>

Well Mo Shui, the only reason I had this long discussion with you was because you felt a superiority complex by saying that switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black & white television. That was a condescending and arrogant remark and I wish you would take it back.
Shuimo   Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:07 am GMT
CANadian Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:34 am GMT
<< Of course, it’s more complicated than that in real life. When a character combines with another to form a new word or concept. They tend to inject new life into one another and expand their definitions. >>

So, do you finally conscede that it wasn't as easy as you made it sound, and that characters (and by extension, Chinese) are at least just as hard as alphabets (and by extension, English)?

<< There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the Chinese language among the Westerners. And most misconceptions have probably arisen from their superiority complex. >>

Well Mo Shui, the only reason I had this long discussion with you was because you felt a superiority complex by saying that switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black & white television. That was a condescending and arrogant remark and I wish you would take it back.
============================

Switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black & white television.

THAT IS SO TRUE!

In comparison with Chinese characters, the alphabetical languages of the West are sorely superficial and shallow without any traces of poetry and aesthetic beauty!

For that reason alone, Chinese is far superior to any Western language!

You just kindly remember that! @-@
CANadian   Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 am GMT
< In comparison with Chinese characters, the alphabetical languages of the West are sorely superficial and shallow without any traces of poetry and aesthetic beauty!

For that reason alone, Chinese is far superior to any Western language! >

See? I told you that you were an idiot... you just didn't listen.

First of all, when I say alphabets, I'm including them all, both eastern and western... so Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Hindi, and Arabic are all on the list, in addition to English, French, Italian... etc.

All of these languages are without any traces of poetry?
I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

With aesthetic beauty?
You don't like Japanese or Arabic calligraphy?
What about Gothic calligraphy?
CANadian   Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:22 am GMT
Watch and learn, Shuimo (or Mo Shui, whoever you are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYuQSZuTtc
Shuimo   Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:30 am GMT
CANadian Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 am GMT
< In comparison with Chinese characters, the alphabetical languages of the West are sorely superficial and shallow without any traces of poetry and aesthetic beauty!

For that reason alone, Chinese is far superior to any Western language! >

See? I told you that you were an idiot... you just didn't listen.

First of all, when I say alphabets, I'm including them all, both eastern and western... so Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Hindi, and Arabic are all on the list, in addition to English, French, Italian... etc.

All of these languages are without any traces of poetry?
I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

With aesthetic beauty?
You don't like Japanese or Arabic calligraphy?
What about Gothic calligraphy?
CANadian Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:22 am GMT
Watch and learn, Shuimo (or Mo Shui, whoever you are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYuQSZuTtc
=========================================

What's the big deal???
Chinese is the ultimate language of poetry and aesthetic beauty!
You morons just cannot see it unless to be enlightend by us Chinese people first!
Mo Shui   Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:53 pm GMT
CANadian (or canIDIOT, whatever you are):

<<Watch and learn, Shuimo (or Mo Shui, whoever you are)...

Well Mo Shui, the only reason I had this long discussion with you was because you felt a superiority complex by saying that switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black & white television. That was a condescending and arrogant remark and I wish you would take it back.>>

Shuimo and I are two distinctly different persons. If you can't even tell the difference between us, it will really be idiotic of me to keep on having this discussion with you.

Switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black and white television. It is an understatement to draw such an analogy. An alphabet might work for languages like English, it simply doesn't work for the Chinese language. I fail to see your logic calling such an analogy a condescending and arrogant remark.

This has to be the end of the discussion for me. It was already stupid of me to discuss such a matter with someone who is so completely ignorant of the matter, it would be idiotic of me to keep on having such a discussion.

Talking to someone who is so compulsively prone to be verbally abusive can really get on my nerves.

Go ahead and believe what you wish to believe and indulge in that fantasy world of yours in which you're always correct and more superior and everyone else is an idiot.
K. T.   Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:19 pm GMT
"Dude, this is a LINGUISTIC forum, this is what we do, discuss/compare/contrast languages... if you don't wanna talk about it or don't think it's worth it, then just leave."

I think I would prefer to just call it what it is: A forum for Languages, not a LINGUISTIC forum.
vince   Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:39 pm GMT
haa accidentally got to this forum. sounds interesting.
i can only speak english and chinese.

i think the major weakness of chinese compare to alphabetic language is
that even you know chinese, u still need to learn how to input chinese or u have to use pinyin(only if you know it, i know chinese but do not know pinyin well), but for the same voice u will have many similar characters that makes pinyin input slow(modern input method will solve this problem soon by AI i guess). so it come up with many chinese input method nowaday. an not to mention most of them are hard(for me).
chinese was even more worse without computer when it come to printing.

it sounds horrible right? so u may ask why chinese still using them? should just change to alphabetic character

chinese is actually very effective for reading and writing if you know it well. even there are some characters you don't know or forgot, you can figure it out by how it's written.

learning curve for chinese is hard i guess but here in hongkong if u finish primary school you should be able to read/write no problem. so i guess that's just the same as english or other language.

i saw some questions about words and the character changing meaning with different combination. actually that's not true, there are few meaning for each character, it's just like some english word with different meaning.

动物 (Thing that moves -how should I know it's an animal?-)
haa long story. what i guess is when chinese character invented. only animals can move.

动人 (Man thing -What does that have to do with Touching?-)
动 actually mean act or move and that's also include your emotion.

人物 (Man thing -Again, it has nothing to do with Character?-)
isn't that straight forward?

人生 (Man that live -I'll give you that one, it sort of makes sense-)
no it doesn't mean a man that live. that mean a "man's life"
生 means live,accrue,raw but this 生 means 生命, which is life

行动 (Thing that walks -Action.. but why couldn't it be "Dog that jumps"?-)
行 means walks, go, do

行人 (Man that walks -Ok.. I guess that could be a pedestrian-)
that's it

生动 (Live Move -it's pretty hard to figure out that that means "lively"-)
生 means live,accrue,raw. so if something that is live, accrue and move.. isn't that's lively??

生物 (Living thing -That's the only one that actually makes sense-)
haha

生人 (Alive person -So any person alive is an Stranger?-)
生人 generally doesn't mean stranger, if you just say 生人 i usually think you say a live person while dead person is 死人
stranger is 陌生人.

人人 (Two persons -As they said it should be Couple not Everybody)
oh well, 木 means wood
林 means forest or in full form 森林
森 means lots of trees
樹 means tree so 樹林 also means forest

some funny words like
傘 means umbrella, so there are some people hiding under the umbrella
嬲 while 男 means male and 女 means female. a girl in between two boy means anger
Mo Shui   Fri May 01, 2009 3:13 am GMT
Don't bother to explain how Chinese works. It's a complete waste of time. That CANadian (or canIDIOT, whatever he/she/it is) hasn't got the slightest interest in this. All he wants to do is to point his 'superior' finger at people and say, 'You, you, you ...... and you... you're all idiots!' Leave him alone. Let him indulge in his fantasy world.
vince   Fri May 01, 2009 8:06 am GMT
actually i do not agree that switching from characters to alphabets is like switching from colour to black & white television. they are just two different structure of languages.

but i do think symbolic should be better than alphabetic language when computer is getting more popular. for symbolic language like chinese, many characters have its story so when it comes to emotional things like poems it can be more impressive.

how popular a language is really depends on the needs and historic reason . english is not a good options in alphabetic language too. even you invented a language which is way superior to english or chinese i don't think people will giving up english and chinese for the next 100yrs anyway.
vince   Fri May 01, 2009 8:17 am GMT
i also want to point out that objection/opinion/discuss is what forum for.

it shouldn't call a forum if everyone just applaud for the topic.
agacanthum   Fri May 01, 2009 3:03 pm GMT
<<chinese is actually very effective for reading and writing if you know it well. even there are some characters you don't know or forgot, you can figure it out by how it's written.>>

Here are some characters that are supposedly not used much (one Chinese native speaker didn't recognize them). Can the meaning be figured out by how they are writen: