what makes English Germanic?

Sander   Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
They're not described as two different languages, it's just that the people often think that the Flemish dialects are spoken in Belgium instead of standard Dutch.

Point is, there is no Flemish language, there are Flemish people (in the same way as there are Parisians and Frenchmen) there is Flemish teritory and a Flemish government.

When you only put in a little effort you'll find out there is no Flemish language within seconds.Although there are a lot of sites advertising they have Flemish language resources this is all crap.
greg   Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
Moin je ferais une distinction entre le Flamand-Oriental (un dialecte néerlandais) et le Flamand-Occidental (une langue distincte), d'autant que la variante du Flamand-Occidental parlée en France est assurément distincte du nérelandais.

Mais bon, on peut en discuter...
Guest   Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
west flemish, isnt that a language greg only heard once, knows nothing about and only mentions to agonise sander?
Jan   Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:21 am GMT
<Point is, there is no Flemish language, there are Flemish people (in the same way as there are Parisians and Frenchmen) there is Flemish teritory and a Flemish government. >

NOTE TO SELF:
SANDER IS ONLY DUTCH WITH A TYPICAL SICK DUTCH HUMOUR. CAN BE OFFENSIVE AT TIMES. MUST NOT CROSS DUTCH BORDER WITH SHOTGUN.
Travis   Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 am GMT
Things are not quite as simple in reality. First there is the Dutch spoken in the Netherlands and the Dutch spoken in Belgium, which are most undoubtedly the same language, and which differ no more than North American English and English English. That said, there is also West Flemish, which is a separate language from Flemish dialects of Dutch, and which has a relationship with Dutch like that of Scots with English. Furthermore, there are also Limburgish dialects, which form a middle ground between the Low Franconian (Dutch, Afrikaans, West Flemish) and West Middle German dialects, and which are distinct from Dutch in and of itself. All of this is ignoring West Frisian and Low Saxon, both of which are spoken in the Netherlands today, and which are very distinct from Dutch, moreso than West Flemish is.

And just so you know, do NOT consider Sander to be an objective source on this subject in any fashion whatsoever, and take whatever he says with a grain of salt. His views on the subject are not founded on a linguistic basis, and rather are purely political and emotional in nature, and thus should be regarded as lacking credibility from the outset.
Sander   Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 am GMT
=>And just so you know, do NOT consider Sander to be an objective source on this subject in any fashion whatsoever, and take whatever he says with a grain of salt. His views on the subject are not founded on a linguistic basis, and rather are purely political and emotional in nature, and thus should be regarded as lacking credibility from the outset. <=

Travis, have you ever:

- Heard West Flemish?
- Seen it written down?
- Analyzed it's grammar?
- Heard about it before you met me?
- etc.

I think it's you who's not objective.
Also, "political"? Why would/How could West Flemish be politically important for me?
JGreco   Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:14 am GMT
I have several Dutch friends who say Limburgish is very hard to understand for a Dutch person from Amsterdam. It takes quite a lot to get use to the accent and in the area its spoken (mainly in the south) they use a lot of slang and colloquialisms to make it very unintelligable to standard Dutch.
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:59 am GMT
Come on Travy and Sandy-baby, get the gloves out.
greg   Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
Guest (6 messages + haut) : faudrait mettre Sander en présence d'un Français occidento-flamandophone et voir s'ils se comprennent...
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:18 pm GMT
" Français occidento-flamandophone "

Sans parler du fait que les Français occidento-flamandophones doivent se conter sur les doigts d'une main
greg   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
Pas si sûr...
Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
<Sans parler du fait que les Français occidento-flamandophones doivent se conter sur les doigts d'une main>

Facile à affirmer, impossibe à prouver.
greg   Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
Sur le net j'ai vu des chiffres variant entre 20.000 & 100.000 — étant entendu que tout flamingant français est aussi francophone maternel (à part peut-être des personnes très âgées et quelques autres exceptions).
Sander   Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:15 pm GMT
As I recall reading somewhere, only 6000, mostly 65+, native speakers still exist.

Thanks to the French governments.Same thing with occitan the French government with nearly forcing standard french kills, because that's what it is, other languages and dialects.
suomalainen   Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
Well, that is a thing that I have wondered: why has France been so intolerant to the linguistic minorities inside its boundaries. I would like to hear from the French what is the present situation in your opinion: does France try to preserve its minority languages, or is the aim still to make a monolingual France?