what makes English Germanic?

Guest   Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:36 pm GMT
parceque la République est par essence une et indivisible.
Alfredo   Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:27 am GMT
France has always attempted to build a French society of French people, and that includes language. It was not an anti-minority thing in my opinion, but rather an integration thing. I don't think that the French of the south, really Piemontese and Ligurians felt robbed of their culture. The cuisine in Nice is really Italian and the people look Italian, they just speak French now. Garibaldi was from Nice, by the way. His family is called Garibaldi' now. Or Platini' (famous French footballer that played in Italy). Just put an accent on the final vowel of an Italian name and it becomes French. Or change Buonaparte (an old Tuscan name) to Bonaparte and don't pronounce the final e and it becomes French.

The Corsicans have been able to keep their language. Probably their proximity to Italy helps, as Corsican is like another Italian dialect for me and is quite understandable.

Sono i nostri cugini transalpini, un po' fissati ma brava gente.
Sander   Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:10 am GMT
Maybe the fact that they're a island helped most? Corsicans want indepence!

''French is the official language of Corsica, but a large number of Corsicans speak Corsican - Corsu. It has no current legal status and French Government has yet to ratify the European minority language charter. ''

LONG LIVE THE National Liberation Front of Corsica !!!
Sander   Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:15 am GMT
"" The French government is opposed to full independence, as it would threaten France's unity, but has at times shown support for some level of autonomy. There is support on the island for proposals of greater autonomy, but polls show that a large majority of Corsican are opposed to full independence.""

So, most of the Frenchmen here support the independence of Quebec , nearly 20 times as large as Corsica, but oppose to the corsican independence because it 'threaten the unity'?!

HYPOCRITS
Guest   Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:11 am GMT
"" The French government is opposed to full independence, as it would threaten France's unity, but has at times shown support for some level of autonomy. There is support on the island for proposals of greater autonomy, but polls show that a large majority of Corsican are opposed to full independence.""
So, most of the Frenchmen here support the independence of Quebec , nearly 20 times as large as Corsica, but oppose to the corsican independence because it 'threaten the unity'?!
HYPOCRITS "

Sander, I'm sorry but you just are an ignorant, stupid and a systematic anti-french man. If you had only a little idea of what you were talking about, you would know that in corsica about 9% of people are for independance, while in Quebec this number rise about 50%. The difference of support is not due of our immense arrogance or hypocrisy as you think, but because we are democrats, and the main rule of a democracy is that the majority rules. If in Corsica 51% of the pop. was for independant , they would be independant since long time. If in Corsica 51% of the population spoke Corsican, Corsican would be the official language. This is not the case.
I can assure that you are wrong if you think that most Corsicans consider themselves not french, or if they are seen as not french by the other people, it is basically wrong... If you think that all Corsican don't speak french, and have Corsican as mother language you're wrong too.
If you think that Corsica has a complete different culture from the continent, you should visit Nice region, Provence, Languedoc or Rousillon region, you'll see that you're wrong. The comparisition between Corsica and Quebec is stupid and inapropriate..
I should show your thoughs to my Corsican neihgbour, she will have a good laugh...

Vive l'independance de La Hollande de l'ouest qui est opprimée par l'horrible et ultra arrogant pouvoir Néerlandais !....
Sander   Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:16 pm GMT
=>The comparisition between Corsica and Quebec is stupid and inapropriate..
<=

Oh really. I've seen Quebec been compared to Palestine.

THAT! is inapropriate.
greg   Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
Mdr !!! J'aimerais voir Sander « discuter » avec le FLNC dans le maquis corse... Sûr qu'il rentrerait illico à Rotterdam à la nage !!! Ha ha ha ha !!!!
suomalainen   Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:09 pm GMT
This is of course far away from our original topic, but I thank "guest" and Alfredo for your answers.
"Parceque la republique est par essence une et indivisible".
I´m sorry my active knowledge of French is so poor that I can´t answer in your own language. I think this attitude is really sad because according to it only those languages are allowed to survive that are so big that they can have a country of their own. If this principle would be followed, it would mean death of thousands of unique and beautiful languages (this is indeed a very probable prospect of future). In Russia the police for "une et indivisible republique" means serious threat to all those Uralic languages that are spoken only in Russia: Votic, Izhorian, Veps, Karelian, Kola Saami, Mordvinian, Mari, Komi, Udmurt, Khanty, Mansi, Nenets, Enets, Selkup, Nganasan. Would a change in attitude in "le pays de Napoleon Bonaparte et Charle de Gaulle" be possible before it is too late. What if you considered Breton and Occitan as invaluable parts of human inheritance instead of threats to "une et indivisible republique"? I hope we all could feel that preserving of minority languages of our respective countries is as valuable as saving rare plants and animals from extinction.

Alfredo,
I think that integration has been in reality the same thing as anti-minority police. Previously the subjects were allowed to confess only the religion of the king, because diversity threatened the unity of the country. Unifying policy can even manage in succumbing the love for own language in minority groups, if everything in the society, like the government, schools and mass media, tells you that your language is worthless and despicable and that in order to be a loyal citizen of the republic you have to abandon your mother tongue for the only allowed and official language of the country.
Sander   Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:20 pm GMT
=>Mdr !!! J'aimerais voir Sander « discuter » avec le FLNC dans le maquis corse... Sûr qu'il rentrerait illico à Rotterdam à la nage !!! Ha ha ha ha !!!! <=

Why would I swim to Rotterdam?It's not like I live there.

The Netherlands is bigger than R'dam and A'dam, Greg.

Of course, when you've never 'really' been there... it hard to imagine.
greg   Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:50 pm GMT
J'ai mentionné Rotterdam parce que c'est un port...
Sander   Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:54 am GMT
Nearly all of the places in the Netherlands have ports.That's not excuse.
Guest   Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:24 pm GMT
The finest ports in the Netherlands...

http://www.tinamou.com/Assets/new_port_sampler.gif
greg   Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
Sander : j'ai pas mentionné Westerschouwen ou Delfzil parce que personne ne sait que ça existe.
nivea   Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
cpuld you explain the reasons for the similities and differences in the pairs of wirds: child- children, feed- food, wise - wisdom, tooth- dental
Guest   Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Huh, ANYTHING! Because I love ENGLISH but I hate GERMAN