Please stop posting in English!

K. T.   Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:15 pm GMT
I tried to post a reply to Eu about "French" "German" and "Russian", but the Cyrillic came up as numerals for some reason.

I think your idea may have some validity, but actually it appears that you need four languages (because you already know some English) to manage in Europe, let's say, or read posts in this thread (and I haven't even touched on Asian languages).

French is a good language, but you really need TWO romance languages to unravel most of the others at 70% comprehension. Romanian is still a bit further afield.

If you know German and English well, you have a lot of Dutch already even if you don't know it. That said, while I can puzzle some things out in Swedish, I still find it a chore because I haven't studied it. Norwegian seems easier to me and with Norwegian, there is a lot of Danish, but truthfully, how much are you actually understanding of each "Germanic" language?

Russian. This is the king of Slavic languages. Poles and speakers of BHS have indicated that they understand a lot of it. Of course, people in Belarus and Ukraine also understand most Russian. Maybe they understand it, but will they reply in Russian? I've read that, like the romance languages, TWO Slavic languages are actually needed to fill in the blanks in the other languages.

How many Antimooners know French, Russian, English, and German?
That specific set of languages...

It may work for you, but without English, we get diminishing returns for replies.
Many people aren't able to participate unless we translate some of the posts.
férfi   Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 pm GMT
valaki akar velem beszélgetni? Sajnos csak egy kicsit magyarul beszélek. Szerintem, magyar a legszebb nyelv a vilàgon! Ezet a nyelvet tanultàm sok évvel ezelott
Woozle   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm GMT
大家好!今天,我想讲一个故事给你们听!这是一个关于三只小猪的故事。这三只小猪非常的懒惰!他们从早到晚,除了吃就是睡觉。当他们长大之后,农夫把他们杀了,把他们的肉卖给了屠夫。故事讲完了!精彩吗?

Greetings, everyone. Today, I will tell a story for you to listen to. This is a story of three little pigs. These three little pigs were extraordinarily lazy.

From morning to night, they did nothing but eat and sleep. After they grew up, the farmer killed them to sell their meat to the butcher. The story is over. Brilliant?

=====

How'd I do?
Meh   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:48 pm GMT
Gall rhai pobl yn awyddus i ymarfer eu Saesneg.

Sommige mensen willen hun Engels oefenen.

Egyes emberek akar gyakorolni az angol.
Guestlol   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:50 pm GMT
Why are tehre so many people who can't do the simple task of switching their keyboard to another script?

Shouldn't people this stupid not be learning other languages in the first place?
Jan Kees   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:54 pm GMT
I neither understand this. Just download the scripts already! My computer that runs Windows just requires me to press ALT + SHIFT in order to get to Cyrillic script. You further just have to practice and learn where the letters are at.
Εν&   Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:58 pm GMT
Why are tehre so many people who can't do the simple task of switching their keyboard to another script?

===============================================

Ίσως δεν είναι ηλίθιο, απλά λίγο τεμπέλης.
K. T.   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:05 pm GMT
"Shouldn't people this stupid not be learning other languages in the first place?

You tell me. I never said that I was a genius, only a polyglot. Would I be correct in guessing that you have skills, so that you can switch back between Cyrillic (Ukrainian and Russian), diacritical marks for Romanian, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Greek and Chinese Characters/ Japanese syllabaries and additional characters. These are some of the languages I use. I certainly can use a Russian word processor (taught myself), and a Japanese one, but I do not know how to switch back quickly without copying and pasting in order to post at antimoon.

I await your reply. Thank-you.
K. T.   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:11 pm GMT
"Ίσως δεν είναι ηλίθιο, απλά λίγο τεμπέλης."

I am lazy, but that's not it in this case. Can you switch between Greek and Chinese without going to a character word processor?

Maybe some of you don't have this issue, but Japanese is a language I use-it's not all about putting a cedilla on a word or a tilde.

I use type-it for most of the common Ruropean languages (or reverso which has Arabic and Hebrew, but I don't know how to input them yet.)
guest   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:11 pm GMT
Have you heard of an IME?
K. T.   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:19 pm GMT
Gall rhai pobl yn awyddus i ymarfer eu Saesneg.

This looks like Welsh, Dutch, and Hungarian. You probably said close to the same thing in each, but I'm not sure. Am I correct? Only the Dutch jumped out at me. Is it the same in Afrikaans? I notice "English" in the Hungarian, but that's it. Do you speak all fluently?

My stab at it: Some people only want to practice English.

I'm sorry to say that I don't speak the beautiful Hungarian language, nor much Welsh yet, but I am learning Welsh.
K. T.   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:27 pm GMT
"Have you heard of an IME?"

Thank-you. This is helpful. I saw something on a website. I'll check it out. It will be amazing if it has all the languages I use from time to time.
Meh   Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:56 pm GMT
*Gall rhai pobl yn awyddus i ymarfer eu Saesneg.

This looks like Welsh, Dutch, and Hungarian. You probably said close to the same thing in each, but I'm not sure. Am I correct? Only the Dutch jumped out at me. Is it the same in Afrikaans? I notice "English" in the Hungarian, but that's it. Do you speak all fluently?

My stab at it: Some people only want to practice English.

I'm sorry to say that I don't speak the beautiful Hungarian language, nor much Welsh yet, but I am learning Welsh. *

Yr wyf yn dysgu Cymraeg hefyd.

You get the gist of what I am saying, yes. And it is Welsh, Dutch, and Hungarian. I do not speak Afrikaans.
Why are you learning Welsh?
persona que piensa que Eu   Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:00 am GMT
Ok, yo no voy poner nada en ingles para ti. Eso te hace feliz?
english is what antimoon website was made for. I am going to post in english whether you want me to or not.
guest   Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:14 am GMT
Ponlo como quieras. A quién le importa lo que piensan?
search