Languages that sound bad

Guest   Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 pm GMT
Then Portuguese sounds ugly too because it sounds like the Slavonic languages.
Evinória   Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:22 pm GMT

Apenas o Português de Portugal soa como línguas eslavas!
K. T.   Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:01 pm GMT
If a language sounds bad to you, I would like to know why?

a. Vowels
b. Consonants
c. Bad experience dealing with someone who speaks the language
d. political enemy
e. dislike the group that speaks it
f. purely esthetic reasons/not beautiful to my ears
g. "If it isn't my language, it's plumb ugly."
h. "If it isn't Polish or English. I hate it."
i. Just dislike certain accents.

I don't like languages that sound like waterfowl. It's an esthetic/aesthetic reason. I also don't like Esperanto with a heavy NYC accent.
Me   Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:29 pm GMT
OMG, I detest all those New York accents so much!!!

I immediately associate them with working class boroughs of the mid to late 20th century and I get the most dreary, bleak and disgusting picture possible. What an utterly soulless, forsaken environment...
K. T.   Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:46 am GMT
Kiel vi fartas? How are you? I don't have to say why this sounds funny to English speakers.

Mi amas vin-Believe it or not, this supposedly means "I love you," not "I love wine.

Tio estas hundo This is a dog. But I bet this looks strange to Spanish speakers.
spottyspot   Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:26 am GMT
I giggle when I write "qu'on"
Marie   Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:51 am GMT
Every time a Dutch opens his mouth a beautiful kitten dies somewhere in the world.
Joao   Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:20 am GMT
I speak Dutch (what I haven't forgotten in the meantime) and the language is really ugly. Probably the ugliest European language.
Flemish Dutch (from northern Belgium) sounds really nice to me, though.

Hebrew and European Spanish are other ugly languages in my opinion.

Both American English and British sound nice to me, except the Scotish accent. French sounds pretty. Italian is beautiful. Most of the Slavonic and Scandinavian languages sound nice to me as well.
German has some charm depending on the context.

Arabic sounds like an old scratched record. It may sound funny though. Chinese sounds also nice to me.
yo   Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 am GMT
The language I dislike the most is English because it reminds me of bad experiences with the flamboyant gays of Australia.
meus   Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:23 am GMT
<<Every time a Dutch opens his mouth a beautiful kitten dies somewhere in the world.>>.
Every time when somebody opens his mouth a green frog dies somewhere in the world. Don't be insulted,but French is ugly.
Spanish and Italian are nicest languages.
Franco   Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 am GMT
The ugliest language is European Portuguese. It sounds like an Slavic tongue wih many consonant clusters and quite few vowels. It doesn't sound Romance at all.
Youth   Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:33 am GMT
K.T.

The reasons i dont like Hindi because of its intonation, which makes its sounds childlish to me. But formal urdu sounds soft and refrined, this could be the persian and turkish influence on the langauge.
bernarda   Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:36 pm GMT
The ugliest language is European Portuguese. It sounds like an Slavic tongue wih many consonant clusters and quite few vowels. It doesn't sound Romance at all.

that's why it is the nicest and the most special one!
poiu   Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:03 pm GMT
European Portuguese

European POrtuguese is fabulous! It's the hardest, the most interesting and conservative one among the Romance languages. Spanish is so primitive compared to Portuguese. European Portuguese is so interesting from a grammatical and phonetical point of view. It cannot be compared to the simple and trivial Spanish.
cabron   Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:04 pm GMT
spanish, the uggliest
italian, the worst
french, the merriest
portuguese, the gipsy one