Is Galician Portuguese?

Galego   Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:06 am GMT
Yes. If one's being honest, Galician is a dialect of Portuguese.
But it don't matter after all, because Galician is dying. More and more people, especially the younger generations in urban areas, speak Spanish instead.
Franco   Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:37 am GMT
Galician is not a dialect of Portuguese, both are considered different languages. And if they were the same, then Portuguese would be a dialect of Galician and not the other way around. The Galician language did spread southward to Portugal and replaced Arabic during the Reconquista period but later on politically Galicia became part of Spain and Portugal got the independence. This provoked Portuguese to split from Galician as both communities began to receive different influences for 800 years .
fdfs   Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm GMT
Franco that is false.

Both Portuguese and Galician came from a language called Galician-Portuguese.
Franco   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:31 pm GMT
And both Spanish and Portuguese came from a language called Vulgar Latin.
rafjed   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:38 pm GMT
Spanish, Italian, French, Catalan, Romanian, and Portuguese and more few idioms came from vulgar latin.
Passado   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:46 pm GMT
Galician Portuguese,Castilian,Asturian-Leonese-Mirandese,Aragonese came from language called Iberian variety of Vulgar Latin.
Franco   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:56 pm GMT
Galician-Portuguese (an extinct language of 800 years ago) is the common ancestor of Galician and Portuguese languages but Galician-Portuguese is not the same than Galician which is not the same than Portuguese. Catalan and Occitan also have a common ancestor more recent than Vulgar Latin.
Futuro   Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm GMT
English,portuguese,french,german,dutch,italian,galicia,catalan,spanish,greek,turk,swedish,finnish,romenian,russian all of them are indo european languages.
123   Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:38 am GMT
Read about galician portuguese
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician-Portuguese
Baldewin   Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 pm GMT
Listen to Ancient Galician: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhrtApWvyjg
Notice the Celtic-influenced music.
Galego   Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm GMT
Galician is dying as a real spoken language among the younger urban generations. :(
In the end it don't matter if it's a dialect of Portuguese or not.
Stella   Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 pm GMT
Who cares.
Ilona   Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm GMT
I do. Galician sounds nice and sweet. If it dies, what a pity. I hope it doesn't.
lolling Joao   Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:30 am GMT
"Portuguese used to be pronounced exactly as written, unlike in contemporary Eu-Port that's filled with elisions. The vowels are there for a reason, and Brazilians don't neglect them. In addition, in Braz-port, the vowels all have their original value."

Paul, stop mentioning the differences between BrPt and EuPt. You are boring (LOL)

Now a bit of more serious irony, the IPA was invented a bit later than the XVI century (19th century if Wikipedia is right): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Phonetic_Alphabet

Do you then have other means to prove what you said? I am refering to XVI century DVDs, or videos, or tapes or perhaps an original vinyl record with Camoens declaiming his epic poem The Lusiads? ha ha ha
No, so speculating about 16th century accents is just that: speculation.

Furthermore, about the gerund, it can perfectly be used in Portugal. It's just that it's not commonly used in texts. It's actually more often used in poems than texts.

The deviance of vowel pronounciation is indeed the result of an evolution. The Portuguese language has a system of "closed" vowels and "open" ones. The closed vowels are used in non stressed sylabes and are often not pronounced at all.
Brazilians do keep the pronunciation of all the vowels but I believe that that's also due to Italian immigration to Brazil. I am refering mostly to São Paulo's "singing" accent. Basically I would say that Brazillian is Portuguese with heavy Italian accent, a bit of French/German guttural "r" (in some areas of São Paulo, American style "r") plus the Italian/African/German origin tendency to surpress the "s" as plural of words.
There may be some truth in saying that Brazilians keep some aspects of classical Portuguese, however puting their pronounciation as absolute classic XVI century Portuguese plus the European variant as an absolute deviation is a false assumption.
Jacyra   Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:49 pm GMT
Galician for me is less understandable (TVG stream) than standard Spanish (Canal 24 horas).
Greetings from Brazil.