a (metric) unit

Adam   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:09 am GMT
British farmers to fight EU against metrication -

British farmers are fighting Brussels in an effort to continue using Imperial measurements - the most popular form of measurements in use in Britain.

The Sunday Times January 29, 2006

Pinta and sliced loaf may face EU ban
David Cracknell, Political Editor

LAWS that threaten the British “pinta” and traditional loaf of sliced bread are set to be waved through the European parliament this week.

Dairy farmers and British MEPs are fighting a last-ditch campaign to block the moves to harmonise packaged food across the European Union.

Under the rules, which replace British imperial measures with a European metric system, the pint-sized milk carton would be cut to half a litre. But with 68 millilitres fewer in the pack, consumer groups fear the price will remain the same — short-changing customers.

The same law will affect the traditional British loaf because, unlike many other European countries, the UK packages and slices its bread.

Bakers say it would force them to abandon the standard sizes of “small” and “large” in favour of various EU sizes. This could not only add to costs but also confuse consumers.

The moves are likely to annoy British shoppers, who pay an extra £20 a week on supermarket bills because of the common agricultural policy.

British grocers and shoppers are already subject to EU laws that force them to display fruit and vegetables in metric measures.

The legislation is set to go through by a majority in the parliament in Strasbourg on Thursday, despite amendments tabled by the UK Conservatives.

The plans have come about because the European commission wants to harmonise EU rules on pre-packaged food quantities that prescribe the size of packs in which some types of food — such as milk, butter and bread — must be sold.

Chris Heaton-Harris, a Tory MEP, said: “These are unnecessary measures which will just end up confusing people or making them angry. I am in favour of protecting consumers but in this case the best way to offer that protection is to stick with what consumers know best.

“Traditions are important to us in Britain and I can quite understand people getting upset when they see those traditions under threat.”

Gordon Polson, director of the Federation of Bakers, said the old law was “an essential consumer protection measure and ensures that we keep the traditional British loaf”.

Dairies said the cost of replacing bottled pints would be prohibitive. Kirby & West, a family-run dairy business delivering milk and other products to 60,000 doorsteps in and around Leicester, said: “If we were unable to use the pint bottle at all it would basically be the end of the doorstep delivery.”

thetimesonline.co.uk

Somehow, asking for "half a litre of beer" in a pub isn't quite the same as asking for "half a litre."

If the EU thinks it can persuade a group of young British friends to ask for "half a litre" of beer in a pub on a Saturday night, then they have another thing coming.
Adam   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:12 am GMT
"Somehow, asking for "half a litre of beer" in a pub isn't quite the same as asking for "half a litre." "

That should be - Somehow, asking for "half a litre of beer" in a pub isn't quite the same as asking for "a pint of beer."
Adam   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:16 am GMT
"I never felt a thing. If Adam wishes to remain Imperial then that is his option and his prerogative...he can wallow about in the quaint archaisms of pounds and ounces and all the other relics of dusty imperialism if he so wishes but he would find it tough going in the outside world of industry and science or whatever."

Not just me - at least 80% of the British public would prefer using Imperial measurements. So if you want to be in the 20% minority, that's fine by me.

Also, are you really telling me that when you go shopping, you do it in metric? Cos if you do, you are one of the 5% or so of the British people who do? I would never go in a pub with you - you would say to the barmaid: "Can I have half a litre of Stella Artois, please?"

And metric measurements were invented in the 18th Century - so it isn't just imperial measurements that are "quaint."
Adam   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:22 am GMT
Just look at weather forecasts - I don't know if you've noticed, but having someone tell you the temperature in imperial measurements is far better than telling you the temperature in metric.

Why? Because metric measurements are so poor that the HOTTEST temp that a day could possibly be in metric is about 50 degrees. Anything above 50 degrees is scorching.

Whereas imperial measurements fit perfectly across the scale from 0 - 100. 50, therefore, is average temperature, 20 is quite cold, and 80 is quite hot. So in Britain, with our imperial, we say: "Boiling hot today! 90 degrees!". But on the Continent, they say: Boiling hot day today! 50 degrees!" The temperature in Europe using metric measurements rarelt goes higher than 60-odd degrees.
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:42 am GMT
>>I would never go in a pub with you - you would say to the barmaid: "Can I have half a litre of Stella Artois, please?" <<

That Belgian beer would also be a problem.
greg   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:43 am GMT
Adam : procure-toi un thermomètre. Tu verras, c'est beaucoup plus facile !
Adam   Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:09 am GMT
It's long as it's a thermometer with imperial measurements, one where the weather is warm when it's 50 and above, not 10 and above.
greg   Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:07 pm GMT
Graduation « impériale » ? Adam, métriques ou « impériales », toutes les unités de mesure en usage au Royaume-Uni sont d'origine française...

PS : je suis ravi de voir que tu comprends le français de mieux en mieux.
ADAM the FRANCOPHILE   Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:23 pm GMT
ADAM IS AN IDIOT

toutes les unités de mesure en usage au Royaume-Uni sont d'origine française...

every imperial unit in the UK are from FRENCH !

I think ADAM IS A FRANCOPHILE AT HEART! LOL
METRIS   Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
Stones
Pounds
feet
inches

Are just primitive! people measured distances in feet and weight in literally stones, Its time for the UK and the USA to modernise things.

Professional photography – focal length and lenses are in mm(millimetres )
Microscopic Biology – metric
NUCLEAR ATOMIC- micro-metric
100% of Science is METRIC.

>>In the Electronics industry which I'm involved in, the imperial system is still used and that is unlikely to change. <<

This guy is an idiot ! Sorry ! Have you ever heard of NANO technology ?

NANOMETER unit of measure equal to one billionth of a meter in NANO technology.

People ! The PC you are using and 100% of electronics and all the micro-components processors etc are in micro-metric system. The electronic architecture is in micro METRIC system !

WELCOME TO THE NANO METRIC SYSTEM ! WELCOME TO THE FUTURE !
Guest   Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:02 pm GMT
1 E-9 m = 1 NANOMETER

2 nm nanometers is the diameter of your DNA

http://www.nanometer.com/home.htm

NANOMETRIC USA

http://www.nanometrics.com/

NANOMETRICS UK

http://www.applegate.co.uk/elec/company/co_17207.htm

In the USA and the UK the METRIC system is adopted by SCIENCE
and the Imperial system is for simple people…

Time to adopt the Metric system in your life as well. Being the most precise, mathematic, simple, logical, scientific, and used by a huge majority around the globe.
Easterner   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:37 pm GMT
Uriel: >>People don't always automatically do the things that are easier or more efficient, though. (Look at English orthography...) Sometimes they cling to their ways because they are comfortable and familiar, and comfort and familiarity are better than efficiency.<<

However much advance the metric system may have taken in English-speaking countries, I agree the old habits will be hard to change. To me at least, it seems that Imperial measuring units are very deeply entrenched in popular thinking. I had an Irish teacher in university who said that if you say in the UK or Ireland that your brother is 2 metres 15 centimetres tall, not an eye will flinch, but make that "about 7 feet", and most likely you will get a whistle of surprise. It is the other way round in Europe. It can be a real pain in the neck to switch between the two systems all the time as you are listening the to the adventures of a person who has, for example, travelled 3000 miles in the African wilderness and had once to escape a 5 l/2-foot-tall rhino with a weight of 4000 pounds under a glaring sun of 110 degrees Fahrenheit by quickly climbing up a thirty-foot-high rocky hillside using a two-inch-thick rope - all this mentioned within a few sentences. I mean, much of the fun is "lost in conversion", because it takes away much of the immediate impact.

However, as far as area measurements go, some non-metric forms still persist, even in countries otherwise using the metric system. For example, in Hungary we use an equivalent of "square yard" for measuring areas of land, and this unit is about 3.59 square metres. There are other non-metric measuring units in the field of area measurements, too.
Easterner   Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:38 pm GMT
>>I mean, much of the fun is "lost in conversion", because it takes away much of the immediate impact.<<

Of course, I would guess this is true the other way round as well...
Uriel   Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:36 pm GMT
<< It can be a real pain in the neck to switch between the two systems all the time as you are listening the to the adventures of a person who has, for example, travelled 3000 miles in the African wilderness and had once to escape a 5 l/2-foot-tall rhino with a weight of 4000 pounds under a glaring sun of 110 degrees Fahrenheit by quickly climbing up a thirty-foot-high rocky hillside using a two-inch-thick rope - all this mentioned within a few sentences. I mean, much of the fun is "lost in conversion", because it takes away much of the immediate impact. >>

I agree, Easterner! ;) Personally, that's why I always try to include both metric and imperial units whenever I post something like that, since I'm often on international forums and I don't want to lose my readers -- it only takes a minute to pull up a conversion chart and jot it down (or sometimes if it's easy enough I'll wing it on my own), plus it keeps me in practice myself!
Jim   Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:36 am GMT
"Just look at weather forecasts ..." writes our wise friend Adam "I don't know if you've noticed, but having someone tell you the temperature in imperial measurements is far better than telling you the temperature in metric."

I don't know whether Adam realises but this is true if and only if you prefer Farenheit to Celcius. Of course, Adam's reasoning doesn't allow for this. According to him this is true regardless.

"Why?" he asks ... and then answers "Because metric measurements are so poor that the HOTTEST temp that a day could possibly be in metric is about 50 degrees. Anything above 50 degrees is scorching."

He's lost me there. What's wrong with the fact that the hottest temperature that a day could be is 50 degrees? This is not a reason ... is it? It seems to be to Adam who continues "... imperial measurements fit perfectly across the scale from 0 - 100." as if there were anything special about zero to a hundred. Besides, 0 degrees Foreignheight ... Farenheit, sorry, that almost minus 18: bloody freezing.

Oh well, what can we expect from the likes of Adam? I will say this though. If the UK government is to go ahead with metrication (and I still think it should but it's not my country so who am I to say?), then they should be assisting with infrastructure: i.e. footing the bill to help small businesses replace their pint glasses and bottles, bread containers, etc.; they should also do something to stop any potential price hikes.