ROMANIAN the closest to CLASSICAL LATIN

Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:38 am GMT
Sorry about typos... This forum has, indeed, an archaic structure :)
Joana Benedek   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 am GMT
What now? hmmmm let's see...Romanian closest to Sanskirt?
First it was the closest to classical latin and then to vulgar latin then it switched to romanian's location being an archaic one? Now sanskirt, what a way to 'wish' and to 'wash' all other semi-valid claims...I do find those numbers of sanskirt strikling familiar...though all europeans languages can traced their roots in the profound sense to sanskirt.
Sanskirt decendants are still around India and in other places nearby.

although, what you have mentioned "georgero" is somewhat different from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit
Sorin   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:25 am GMT
>Careful. While this is a marvelous subject and I first read about in a 1968 issue of "Scientific American," it is not exactly a language topic and certainly does not relate to the modern Romanian language. <

I agree, it is not exclusively a linguistic subject, it is more of a “Dark side of the Moon “it contains linguistic references to modern Romanian, geography and Romanian toponyms.

However, in the ORASTIE Mountains (Transylvania-Romania) scientists discovered some Neolithic settlements and fossilised structures, dating from 7.000 Before Christ. The toponyms (place names in Romania) as SIMERIA, ORASTIE are at least 7.000 years old. Along with the discoveries of TARTARIA tablets, from surrounding areas – a scientifically proved form of LITERATE civilization existed there. PRE-SUMERIAN or NATIVE DANUBIAN ?!? It can’t be classified yet.

FACTS:

SUMER The term "Sumerian" is an exonym, first applied by the Akadians. The Sumerians called themselves "the black headed people" (sag-gi-ga) and their land (Ki-en-gir). "place of the civilized lords"

1.CUGIR town in Romania derived from (Ki-en-gir). "place of the civilized lords" in Sumerian
2.SIMERIA town in Romania derived from SUMERIA
3.ORASTIE town in Romania derived fro URASTIE (UR)

UR means city in Sumerian – in Romanian “city” is ORAS deriving from Sumerian UR and Latin URbis
All these towns are located 50 Km away from each other surrounded by the ORASTIE Mountains.

Similar NATIVE artifacts have been found at Vinča, Serbia and a number of other locations in the southern Balkans.
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:22 am GMT
I don't claim anything. I just find these infos as being interesting. That book reffers to old Vedic Sanskrit language. Indeed, I have some doubts of how much truth is in this. I've never said that Romanian is closest to Latin neither to Sanskrite. But these facts could make the theory of Dacian language being close to Latin much more believable.

I'm just presenting some interesting facts and I wanna know what others think about that. I'm not trynna convince anyone about anything.
For example, this is a known fact, it is not invented:

Sanskrite: vidya (ritual knowledge, learning, science)
Latin: videre (to see)
Romanian: a vedea (vidia - regionalism), vedere (to see, but, also, having the meaning of "to forsee, to observe, to understand"). If we see the way that the word is spelled, we could think that its origin could not come from Latin language but from another ancient language. And that could mean that the Dacians could have known the word before the Latins did and they could have a language similar to Latin. Some use this theory to explain the easy way that Dacian were Latinised.
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:37 am GMT
And another astonishing fact.
The most sacred single syllable in the entire literature of Hinduism is OM. This word is constantly on the lips of devout Hindus from the cradle to the grave. It stands for Brahman, both as personal and impersonal God.
Guess how Romanians say to MAN. That's exactly OM. Spelled identically.
S.P.Q.R   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:54 am GMT
Venetian italian dialect.
Om = Uomo\man

Does this with even 100 examples of omographes makes venetian an ancestor of vedic sanskirt?
Please keep it real.
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
Maybe not. But maybe this brings the Venetians closer. Vedic Sanskrit is not a legend. It is the base of almost all Indo-European languages.
So, you think these are just coincidences? All indo-European languages are somehow related to the Sanscrite. Why Dacian language wouldn't have been? What kind of language it should be than? It is not Germanic, it is not Turkik, nor Greek. It should have been an Indo-European ones. If Romanians have words which are similar spelled in Latin but absolutely identical in Sanskrit, why shouldn't consider Dacian language an Indo-European one and related to Latin??? Dacia is, in fact, much closer geographically to the area of initial Caucasian populations.
How could Romanians have such words if they wouldn't have them before the Roman invasion?? Why did they change the word ACQUA into APA, if the Sanskrits used exactly APA. Why Romanians use the word VATRA for the initial place of a village (the fireplace) when Sanskrit have similar word VEDRA and the Indo-European root of the word Father - Pater (as head of family, patriarchal meaning) has initially similar meaning.
I don't wanna go further mentioning other similarities, because you'll probably laugh about those too. I find this theory as being very interesting. I'm not saying it is true or false. It's just that I don't want to deny it from start.
I'm not saying that Romanians are Sanskrits now, but the Dacians could be related with both Sanskrite and Romans.
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:22 pm GMT
Romanians say ESTE for IS. Aromanians say IASTI. In Sanskrit it is ASTI. Coincidence too?
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
Herodotus, wrote about a Dacian custom in Histories [4.94]: "when it lightens and thunders, aim their arrows at the sky, uttering threats against the (thunder) god; and they do not believe that there is any god but their own (sun god)." This tells us that Dacians had only one god, who was the sun god and they sent arrows into the clouds in order to clear the sky and make their god, the sun, to appear and shine. The oldest occurrence of this custom is attested at Yurakare, Semang and Sakai: they aimed their arrows at the sky, uttering threats against the thunder god. (Mircea Eliade, Notes on the symbolism of the arrow, pp. 465, 466). Similarly, the sun god Mithra was represented throwing arrows against the clouds (F. Saxl, Mithras, Berlin, 1931, p. 76; G. Windengren, Die Religionen Irans, p. 44).

Guess what civilization worshiped the Mithra god!!!
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:57 pm GMT
Meanwhile, the Romanian name for the priest's cap is "mitră". Most probably, Dacians used the same word. Most probably, Mithra was not the name of the Sun god, but the name of his priest, identified by his cap called "mitra".
Romanians also have a funny swearing connected to that Sanscrite Mithra god. I do not know if I'm allowed to say it literally here. But the coincidence is also amazing.
S.P.Q.R   Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:59 pm GMT
All indo languages have similiarities with saskrit, see greeks verbalsystem and greek one, but this does not mean that htey descend from sanskrit they simply kept more strongly the ancioen idneuropean verbal system
S.P.Q.R   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:00 pm GMT
I mean greek verbal sytem and sanskrit one
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
Not to mention that the main symbol of Rome, the feminine wolf, feeding Romulus and Remus was the same symbol of Dacians. Is the connection with the Sanskrite word Rama just a coincidence??? Why don't you go further to seek it? The Dacian had the same flag. The bloody wolf. And also, check the Romanian myth of wolfmen. Speculated by American film industry.
Perhaps, just coincidences too.
S.P.Q.R   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
What i should understand from this? They had similiar cultures? Similiar tongue? Probably, they were all indo european people.
Georgero   Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:06 pm GMT
I'm not an historical expert. Nor a linguistic one. And perhaps anyone may find coincidences in anything. But these presented are just sooo weird.