Marius   Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
Thanks Sigma, I know but I wrote "exept TACITURNO present in English as well"

any other possible derivations ?

¡Gracias !
Aldvs   Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:45 pm GMT
tácito:
tacit; observación etc. unspoken; ley unwritten
(spanish)

[Early 17th century. From Latin tacitus , the past participle of tacere “to be silent.”]
Guest   Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:48 pm GMT
we have the same in french,

un accord tacite.

un enfant taciturne

un enfant timide

un enfant timoré

tacere = taire (in french)
Guest   Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
Only Romanian and Italian uses "tacere"

wrong, "taire" or "se taire" in french.
Alexandru   Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:54 pm GMT
Dura lex, sed lex. (Legea e dură, dar e lege)
Ego sum qui sum. (Eu sunt cel ce sunt)
Nemo nascitur sapiens. (Nimeni nu se naste invatat)
Quot capita, tot sententiæ. (Cate capete atatea sentinte/pareri)
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. (Dacă tăceai, filosof rămâneai)
Vade mecum (Vino cu mine)
Vox populi, vox dei. (Vocea poporului, vocea lui Dumnezeu)
Un alter ego. (Un alt eu)

-------LATIN PROVERBS IN ROMANIAN LANGUAGE-------
Raffaele   Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:46 pm GMT
>Only Romanian and Italian uses "tacere"
wrong, "taire" or "se taire" in french. <

"se taire" is a derivato from "tacere" but Italian use the identical Latin "tacere" Spanish and French have pronunce CE like S.
Guest   Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:15 am GMT
Castilian: (ci/ce/za) PRONOUNCED as "Thi/The/Tha"

Latin-america: (ci/ce/za) PRONOUNCED as "Si/Se/Sa"
Tiffany   Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:18 am GMT
Dura lex, sed lex. (Legea e dură, dar e lege)
Ego sum qui sum. (Eu sunt cel ce sunt)
Nemo nascitur sapiens. (Nimeni nu se naste invatat)
Quot capita, tot sententiæ. (Cate capete atatea sentinte/pareri)
Si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses. (Dacă tăceai, filosof rămâneai)
Vade mecum (Vino cu mine)
Vox populi, vox dei. (Vocea poporului, vocea lui Dumnezeu)
Un alter ego. (Un alt eu)

Is that Romanian???, wow it looks Barbaric.
anume   Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:57 am GMT
barbarian
1338, from M.L. barbarinus, from L. barbaria "foreign country," from Gk. barbaros "foreign, strange, ignorant," from PIE base *barbar- echoic of unintelligible speech of foreigners (cf. Skt. barbara- "stammering," also "non-Aryan"). Barbaric is first recorded 1490, from O.Fr. barbarique, from L. barbaricus "foreign, strange, outlandish." Barbarous is first attested 1526.
Vlad   Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:24 pm GMT
As opposed to the first documents of other languages, for example The Capuan Book for the Italian language, or The Strasbourg Sermons for the French one - texts that do not resemble much to the today spoken language, being very remote in time, too - the language used in Neacşu's letter is little different from the nowadays spoken Romanian language.

The introductory and closing formulas represent exceptions; it is obvious that the message had to be clear and quickly transmitted, not written by a scribe, as the document contained a secret of great importance. From the very beginning we have to notice the accuracy and brevity of the expression. The old Slavonic term "I pak" (= and, and again, as well) can lead us to the supposition that the letter of the 29th - 30th of June 1521 followed other letters of the same nature.

The attributive: "that those ships that thy highness knowest hath sailed up the Danube" brings about the same conclusion. The "I pak" formula has somehow the same value as the modern Latin term "idem", but also to mark the beginning and the end of each of the seven sentences, as they do not have punctuation marks. The chiefly oral character of the message can be perceived by the quick pass to the subject using an accusative construction "I let thee know", or by the first and third person expressions "as I heard", "a man from Nicopole came to me and told me he hath seen with his own eyes", "as I heard from the boyars and from my son-in-law Negre". In oral form, guaranteeing the authenticity of the news - the explanatory expression "and the truth is no other but this".

Perfectly intelligible, so much that we could understand the meaning of the two Slavonic words without a glossary, the text presents, however, some features characteristic to the language used in the beginning of the 16th century:
- the old auxiliary form using the plural endings for the third person singular of the past perfect "au": "au esit", "se-au dus", "mi-au spus", "au vazut", "au dat";
- lucrul ("the deed", originating in the Latin "lucrum"="gain") has here the meaning of 'deed, action'(compare with Gr. Ureche's chronicle, in the fragment showing Stephen the Great);
- "Aimintrea" ("and the truth is no other but this") is the archaic form of alminteri ("otherwise"), originated in the Latin alius + mentem;
- "corăbii" ("ships") preserves the "a", which in the 16th century the morphological alternation "a" was not extended, singular: corabie, with a, plural: corăbii;
- "tote" (all), "omin" (men), "vostre" (thy): the "oa" diphthong is spelt simply "o" (instead of "toate", "oameni", "voastre"), probably only a matter of writing method;
- omission of final "i" for the plural nouns "meşter"(i), "megiiaş"(i) - sailors, neighbours -, folk forms much used even today, the plural being shown in the first case by the definite article "neşte" and in the second case by the plural form of the verb to be - "sunt" -, perhaps also a matter of the writing method;
- "de" used instead of "de la" (=from):"from the boyars, from my son-in-law";
- writing the final "u" in cumu (= that);
- the use of the folk Wallachian "miu", instead of "meu" (=my), in fact it is still pronounced that way in Wallachia mainly, prolonging the "i" vowel;
- "io", originating in the Latin "ubi" of the place adverbial where, still exist today in the south-Transylvanian dialect in the form of "iu" or "io";
- "strimt" (=narrow), from the Latin "strictus", still used today in certain dialects (see Stolnicul Constantin Cantacuzino, Istoria Ţării Rumâneşti, in Cronicari munteni, I, p. 3, Ed. Mihail Gregorian, 1961);
- "se-au" instead of "s-au", preserving the e: "se-au dus' (=hath sailed);
- "pre" instead of "pe" (=up): "hath sailed up the Danube" etc.

Clear, concise, fluent, the expressiveness of the Romanian language in the letter of Neacşu is due to the Latin elements. The Latin words, the linguists concerned with statistics say, represents 92,31%, with an absolute frequency of 89,47%. Out of the 112 units of the text, 67 Latin originated words can also be found in other 7 new-Latin languages.
The conclusion is that the Romanian language, by the time it appeared in its written form, was fully and for a long time taking part in the European pan-Romanism

http://cimec.ro/Istorie/neacsu/eng/
Xavier   Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:53 pm GMT
Es indudable que la lengua rumana es latina, pese a las numerosas palabras eslavas, turcas y griegas que contiene. En cuanto a la gente, tienen algo de teatral y de sensual como los italianos, ya sea en política, en su vida cotidiana o simplemente en la forma de hablar y gesticular, el viajero no hallará este tipo de rasgos en ninguna otra parte de Europa oriental.
Euro Universal B   Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:08 pm GMT
raffaele,

""se taire" is a derivato from "tacere" but Italian use the identical Latin "tacere" Spanish and French have pronunce CE like S."

?????
Tiffany   Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:42 pm GMT
Sorry, I forget to change "A molti anni".

It is "Ai molti anni"
Vlad   Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:09 am GMT
Etymology of Romania
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neacşu's letter, the oldest surviving document written in Romanian has the oldest appearance of the word "Romanian"Romanians are a people living in Central and South-Eastern Europe speaking a Romance language. Their name ultimately is derived from the city of Rome and the Roman Empire and more specifically from "Romanus" (Roman citizen).

During the transition from Vulgar Latin to Romanian, there were some phonetical changes that modified "Romanus":

ending "-s" disappeared (occurred in all Romance languages)
ending "-u" disappeared (regular change; in Old Romanian was however still present)
"a" → "â" (regular change; vowels before nasal consonants turned into "â"/"î")
"o" → "u" (regular change; however, in some regions of Romania, the variant with "o" was kept)
The first document written in Romanian language is a 1521 letter which notifies the mayor of Braşov about the imminent attack of the Turks. This document is also notable for having the first occurrence of "Romanian", Wallachia being here named The Romanian Land - Ţeara Rumânească (Ţeara < Latin Terra = land). In the following centuries, Romanian documents use both forms: "Român" and "Rumân". During a process of semantic differentiation in the late Middle Ages, the form "rumân", presumably usual among lower classes, got the meaning of "bondsman", while the form "român" kept an ethno-linguistic meaning. After the abolition of the serfage by Prince Constantine Mavrocordato in 1746, the form "rumân" disappears and the spelling definitively stabilises to the form "român", "românesc".[1] The name "România" as common homeland of all Romanians is documented in the early 19th century. [2]

The etymology of "România" didn't follow the Romanian pattern of word formation for country names, which usually adds the suffix -ia to the ethnonym, like in "grec" -> "Grecia", "bulgar" -> "Bulgaria", "rus -> "Rusia", etc. Since it is a self-designation, the word "România" has an older history, coming from "românie" which in turn resulted as a derivation of the word "român" by adding the suffix -ie, like in ""moş -> moşie", "domn" -> "domnie" or "boier" -> "boierie" (lord -> lordship). Initially, "românie" may indeed have meant "Romanianship", being then used in the eve of the 19th century to designate the common homeland of Romanians.

There are other Romanic people in the Balkans that have an ethnonym derived from "Romanus", including Aromanians (armâni, arumâni or rămăni) and Istro-Romanians (rumâri). The Megleno-Romanians originally used the form rămâni, but it was lost by the 19th century and used the word Vlaşi borrowed from Bulgarian/Macedonian.

The word Romanus is also kept elsewhere in other parts of the Roman Empire: in the name of the region of Romagna, in Northern Italy and also in the name of the Romansh language of Switzerland. The name was also kept by non-Latin peoples, such as the Byzantines, who used to call themselves "Romioi" (Ρωμιοί).

In English, the name of the country was originally borrowed from French "Roumania" (<"Roumanie"), then evolved into "Rumania", but was eventually replaced after WWII by the name used officially: "Romania". With a few exceptions such as English and Hungarian ("Románia"), in most languages, the "u" from is still used (German and Swedish: Rumänien; Bulgarian: Румъния; Serbian: Румунија / Rumunija, Polish: Rumunia, etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Romania