Will Spanish and Chinese overcome English?

lu   Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:49 pm GMT
And yes, in many very poor remote villages of china today there're still poor children who don't have a chance to go to shool. Other than that I believe mandarin is taught in most places now.
Tòng húi   Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:13 pm GMT
Hey hey hey, don't say that Chinese is very very difficult.It is not that way really.The only problem which is a real problem for Europeans is that we, the Chinese pronounce the words in regard with the tones of EACH one.And this makes all the words a bit undistinguishable ( one of the eases is that word which you don't have to add so many suffixes or prefixes to make such a long word ).And the other problem, but not a big deal really is the characters.You don't have to memorize them all, neither do the Chinese.You will memorize them as much as the other 1,500,000,000 people do. So don't worry about the writing system that much.A quarter of the world has to do that.We know the spoken Chinese, but we didn't know the written Chinese as you don't know now.
JR   Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that when Chinese (whatever the dialect) is taught to school children, they are taught the words in the Roman alphabet first, and then they learn the characters, of which they are required to know 2,000 by 4th grade. Is that correct?
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:29 am GMT
<a survay was done shown that many people in china " in millions" were born, lived all thier lives and died within an area its borders does not excced 1 x 1 Km.>

What survey? Please state your source, mike! When you say millions, how many millions exactly? 1 billion minus a few million chinese speaker is still much more than the number of english speakers!
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:35 am GMT
Well thats the problem of Chinese - they don't use a phonetic alphabet. It's basically based on memorisation of the symbol used for each word.
la verite   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am GMT
cause if they use the alphabet they will become ramanized and thats what they don't wanto to become part of the Roman Empire like other countries.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:27 am GMT
<cause if they use the alphabet they will become ramanized and thats what they don't wanto to become part of the Roman Empire like other countries. >

For your enlightenment I would like to inform you that the Roman Empire does not exist no more.

On romanisation of languages that use a non phonetic alphabet such countries such as Vietnam which adopted a romanised alphabet has obvious benefits such it's earlier to learn.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:27 am GMT
<cause if they use the alphabet they will become ramanized and thats what they don't wanto to become part of the Roman Empire like other countries. >

For your enlightenment I would like to inform you that the Roman Empire does not exist no more.

On romanisation of languages that use a non phonetic alphabet such countries such as Vietnam which adopted a romanised alphabet has obvious benefits such it's earlier to learn.
Tòng húi   Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:08 am GMT
Hey La verite.It is not that way.We, the Chinese, still use the Characters because they sembolize our past.We've used them for milleniums.And if we convert the characters into Romanized alphabet, the speakers of other Chinese diaclects won't be able to understand what we are talking or writing about.Now, at least they understand what we write.Got it?So it's not the way that you want it to be.And we, the Chinese will never have to take source of anything from the Westerners!Take it into consideration!
lu   Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:56 am GMT
"la verite Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:05 am GMT
cause if they use the alphabet they will become ramanized and thats what they don't wanto to become part of the Roman Empire like other countries. "

Actually Chinese language is thousands of years older than roman empire.

"JR Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that when Chinese (whatever the dialect) is taught to school children, they are taught the words in the Roman alphabet first, and then they learn the characters, of which they are required to know 2,000 by 4th grade. Is that correct? "

That's called pinyin which is similar to phonetic symbol used in English teaching.
Wyvernoid   Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:17 am GMT
Well it's true (I'm a Chinese), but in fact pinyin is just used for later learning(whether in school or by dictionary). Children, before school, can surely speak Chinese(whatever dialect, as you've said^^) fluently, and do recognize quite a few characters
Joey   Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:32 pm GMT
(cause if they use the alphabet they will become ramanized and thats what they don't wanto to become part of the Roman Empire like other countries.)

Does that mean that we are arab because we use arab numbers?
I = 1
II = 2
III = 3
etc...
Robert   Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:00 am GMT
About the argument of what you need in commerce... I have to agree, with Spanish being so easy to learn, and spanish speakers having a preference to use Spanish in commerce... I've met many business people who learned Spanish...so they could sell a car or whatever.

Spanish speakers in America aren't enthralled by English, the way in other parts of the world they thinks its a key to the magic kingdom.

They are rather ho-hum about it in comparison. But its that trait that ensures Spanish as being quite healthy, even in the world's largest English native speaking country (USA).

It's not obvious here that English is taking over...in fact, its quite obvious from all those bilingual signs at wal-mart....that we are a bi-lingual country, more and more.

OK, but the specific question, will Chinese and Spanish take over english...."hell no" and "not quite" are the answers :-)
Alla Da   Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:47 am GMT
The Spanish-speaking population has overcome English recently and has become the second largest mother tongue in the world:)
la verite   Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 pm GMT
im not saying that the roman empire exist, i graduated you fucking idot what do you think im going to go over there and kick you ass you hear me