Will Spanish and Chinese overcome English?

Mike   Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:09 am GMT
greg: Unfortunately I don’t understand French.

I am not bashing here, but Chinese language lies somewhere between the ancient and the modern languages.
-   Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
Mike claimed that chinese language has not enough words, therefore they have different sounds and are combined to accomodate more vocab. I totally disagree with this. By the way, English ALSO has words which have multiple meanings, does this mean that english does not have enough words?

<It is an easy language to speak, but not to write and ready. Many foreigners has complained that when they speak, no one understands them…very frustrating!. That’s true, because the words are very similar and close in sounds, so pronouncing should be precise, otherwise will jump from one word to another without knowing, and if one does not master the tones…well, at least learn how to Control your temper my friend! >

I think it is also the same case for English, many words are also very similar and if you do not pronounce it properly you may not be understood or you would be misunderstood.
mike   Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:49 am GMT
greg: sorry to say that, but I can prsume two things: either you have just stared studing chinese language, or you are a native chinese speaker.
-   Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:19 pm GMT
mike: sorry to say this, but I can presume two things; either you hate chinese and china or you are an english chauvinist.

Mike claimed that chinese language has not enough words, therefore they have different sounds and are combined to accomodate more vocab. I totally disagree with this. By the way, English ALSO has words which have multiple meanings, does this mean that english does not have enough words?

<It is an easy language to speak, but not to write and ready. Many foreigners has complained that when they speak, no one understands them…very frustrating!. That’s true, because the words are very similar and close in sounds, so pronouncing should be precise, otherwise will jump from one word to another without knowing, and if one does not master the tones…well, at least learn how to Control your temper my friend! >

I think it is also the same case for English, many words are also very similar and if you do not pronounce it properly you may not be understood or you would be misunderstood.
mike   Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
greg: If I make a negative opinuon about somthing, means I hate it!...very wired thinking!

bye they way, don't presume writing in english here means we are an english chauviinst. I am not an english native speaker we just communicat with it because it is the word comunication langauge now, or u want me to write in chinese??
Tòng húi   Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:37 pm GMT
Chinese has already overcome English and Spanish, but nobody is aware of it.Don't you see that the Chinese Trade is everywhere?Look at the pencils, machines, electronics, books, sport-shoes.They are all written "Made in China".Is it not right?
-   Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:31 pm GMT
<or u want me to write in chinese?? >
well if you can write in chinese too then why not? I dont see a problem with writing in chinese

You seem to be avoiding my question to you on your points made,mike

I think it is time you stop avoiding my questions:

You claimed that chinese language has not enough words, therefore they have different sounds and are combined to accomodate more vocab. I totally disagree with this. By the way, English ALSO has words which have multiple meanings, does this mean that english does not have enough words?

By the way what is your native language, may I ask?
-   Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:35 pm GMT
<bye they way, don't presume writing in english here means we are an english chauviinst.>
I didnt presume that you are an english chauvanist because you wrote in English and I never said that I presume that because you wrote in english. So I wonder where you got that thought
Guest   Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:33 am GMT
greg: every single word in chinese has four tones to pronounce it. If you don't be precise in prounouncing the tones, then you are not pronouncing the correct word (and the majority of non native chinese speakers who learnt the language in their audlt hood having this sever problem). the point is EVERY SINGLE WORD has this case. I agree with you that in english has words pronounced very simliary, but FEW, which makes it easier to understand the meaning from the context of the sentence.

And yes, chinese language has a big big shortage of words (and I am not talking about characters here, because every bunch of characters having same pronounciation). you can think of it mathmatically in the same concept I posted before.

For a business level, if a guy starts studing a latin language and chinese parallel at the same time. Within a year, the guy could grab the basics in writing and reading and speaking the latin language, which could make him read a letter at work and understand it. while in chinese, the first year will end up and the guy is still reapting after the teacher how to pronounce the words-no reading, no writing! Many of the people has studed english after egaging in a work necessiate them to communicate in english, and it was easy within few courses to manage themselves around. if the case was to learn chinese, it will be impossible unless you spare it much longer time...But this is a fast going world which needs us to learn things faster.

We need something practical

greg, I don't hate chinese language, but I am trying to say my opinun about a question posted here.
mike   Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:51 am GMT
greg: "You claimed that chinese language has not enough words, therefore they have different sounds and are combined to accomodate more vocab. I totally disagree with this"

to correct you: I said the chinese language has not enough words, therefor they don't have many sounds. meaning: when you say a sentence, you will have to reapeat same sounds but in differnet meanings.
Guest   Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:40 am GMT
What is your native language, mike?
Guest   Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 am GMT
<For a business level, if a guy starts studing a latin language and chinese parallel at the same time. Within a year, the guy could grab the basics in writing and reading and speaking the latin language, which could make him read a letter at work and understand it. while in chinese, the first year will end up and the guy is still reapting after the teacher how to pronounce the words-no reading, no writing! Many of the people has studed english after egaging in a work necessiate them to communicate in english, and it was easy within few courses to manage themselves around. if the case was to learn chinese, it will be impossible unless you spare it much longer time...But this is a fast going world which needs us to learn things faster. >

3 questions:

1. What proof do you have that a guy studies latin language faster than chinese?
a)Is your guy one who already knows a latin language? because if the guy already knows a latin langauge then definately he will learn another latin language faster, but if a guy does not already know a latin language then what proof do you have that he will learn a latin language faster?

b)Are you being biased since you are a native speaker of a latin language?

C)Are you telling me an African or Asian who does not know a single latin language will not study chinese faster thatn a latin language?
Please have some evidence!

2.When you claimed that chinese was difficult therefore it cannot become a world language, may I ask you why a difficult language like french became a language of dimplomacy in the 18th century?

3. I think you have misunderstood something, chinese does not have a shortage of words and chinese have different sounds NOT because they have not enough sounds! You talked about 3 letter 2 letter sounds, I dont think you should think of it this way and anyway, there are also words like shui which has four letters. This is a writing system proven useful for 5 thousands years, if the chinese had a "shortage" of words, then this writing system would not have lasted so long.
Tòng húi   Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:58 am GMT
Of course Chinese doesn't lack words.We have so many words.Pronouncing Chinese isn't the same as pronouncing English.Who on earth made that stupid interpretation!Such a damn!Mandarin Chinese has 4 tones which includes flat, risinig, falling, rising then falling.The other important Chinese dialect called Cantonese has 9 tones.So it makes the language much more difficult for foreigners to speak it precisely.I agree that it is so difficult to write and read something for the beginner learners of Chinese.But when you get the case, you do it well.Don't blame on Chinese for your inability!
-   Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:33 pm GMT
<Who on earth made that stupid interpretation!Such a damn!>
well, mike made that ridiculous claim.

and mike, please do not forget the three questions I have issued to you!
mike   Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
TongHui: don't get so enthusiastic, Chinese-Mandarin langauge is still not yet the common language even in its own country! I am a non-native speaking chinese, and I speak much better Mandarin more than most of the poeple in the city where I live...Can you say I am wrong in that?? I need an answer from you.

I did not say shortage of characters, I said shortage of words (which I mean sounds)

"Shui" is not a four sound letter word, because the "sh" is a single sound.

If u look in a chinese dictionary, under each PinYing word, how many different character you will find...Dozens. that means shortage of words.