Spanish is the most beautiful of all languages

Chinese   Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:04 pm GMT
Maybe, to say the least, Spanish is very useful in Latin America, but frankly speaking, Italian as well as Portuguese sounds better than Spanish. It's NOT raving or slander.
Xatufan   Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
It is possible, but Italian and Portuguese are quite unnecessary; you can be understood pretty well if you speak Spanish (maybe not the other way around).
fab   Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:36 pm GMT
me gusta mucho hablar Castellano, pero prefiero el sonido del Italiano
Chinese   Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:29 am GMT
Xatufan

<It is possible, but Italian and Portuguese are quite unnecessary; you can be understood pretty well if you speak Spanish (maybe not the other way around).>

First, Italian is more useful than Spanish in Europe and Italy is also more powerful than Spain. But Portuguese isn't of that much importance then.

Second, If you can speak good Italian or Portuguese, perhaps you can be understood pretty well by Spanish people, but not the other way around.
Chinese   Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 am GMT
Sorry, Xatufan.

My second opinion may be a little wrong, I'm afraid. Thanks.
impérialisme français   Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
Baisez votre âne! Évidemment, l'espagnol n'est pas la meilleure langue du monde. Il n'y a aucune discussion sur ce français est la meilleure langue sur la Terre. Peut-être vous pouvez dire que l'italien est la meilleure langue, mais personne ne peut dire que l'espagnol est le meilleur d'entre tous! Je vis en Suisse et bien que notre français soit un peu différent de la langue française, quand j'entends les gens parlant l'allemand ou l'italien, je prie Dieu pour qui il y a une langue appelée 'le français'!
impérialisme français   Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:14 pm GMT
Le néerlandais, j'ai entendu dire que vous dites que le néerlandais est la meilleure langue. Qui font vous croyez que vous rigolez! Ha ha ha! Le néerlandais, vous dites le néerlandais! Je ne peux pas m'empêcher de rire. Je n'ai jamais vu de langue qui est plus mauvaise que le néerlandais. Même l'allemand est mieux que le néerlandais!
Latin-Anglo-American   Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:42 pm GMT
Of course, these are all just personal opinions people! No need to insult other people's native languages, simply because you don't like the way they sound.

Why do you hate Spanish so much impérialisme français? It's a beautiful language, as is Italian, and though to a lesser extent, French.
Linguist   Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:35 am GMT
Gee, such an absurd topic......

But as it exists I d like to express my own opinion on languages: I don't like Spanich at all, it is good only in singing but not speaking. Other romance languages are the same for me, sing but don't speak;) Germanic languages are beautiful, Slavic are ugly (except of my native Russian, but I guess it's ugly as well), Finno-Ugric are very funny, Asian languages just seem to me strange, I 'm quite indifferent to them (but Japanese is beautiful), arabic and hebrew are ugly.
The ugliest languages of all are possibly caucasian (georgian for example), unfortunately I haven't heard many african languages, so I can't say here anything. :(
Latin-Anglo-American   Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:29 pm GMT
Romance tounges are simply the most pleasant sounding languages there are. You can debate which you like most. I have a personal bias with Spanish, but I also love Italian. After Italian, I'm into French and Portuguese.
impérialisme suisse   Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:44 am GMT
J'aime des sons de russes et Ukrainien. Mais je déteste vraiment la voie d'autre son de langues de roman comme le portugais, l'espagnol et le roumain. Ils sont toutes les langues les plus affreuses vraiment. Parce que je vis en Suisse, quand j'entends l'allemand ou l'italien, je suis sur le point de vomir en raison de leur effroi!Je souhaite seulement aux gens qui ne parlent pas de français pour ne pas parler le français parce qu'ils vissent le français en haut! Vous continuez à visser l'anglais plaisent en haut . Parce que si vous le continuez, le français surmontera l'anglais.
BOO FRENCH!!!   Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:07 am GMT
French looks very ugly in writting! It takes forever to learn the damn language since it's written differently than it is spoken. I hear French and it's like a bunch of blabber talk. All I hear is vous vous blah blah blah! it all sounds the same to me. You French people should really accept the fact that English is liked by more people and French will never reach the status that English has and if it even has a chance of overtaking English it will take a really LONG time! The only good thing about it is the accent because it just doesn't have the poetry and expressiveness of Spanish and Italian and I'm sure most people here agree. The only reason why you hate those languages is because more people are starting to like them over French and I'm sure you know nothing of those languages because if you did you would have a different opinion.
impérialisme suisse   Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:11 am GMT
A la merde!!!
a.p.a.m.   Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:18 pm GMT
In response to BOO FRENCH, I disagree with him. I personally like French. I think it sounds beautiful. You also remarked that you hope that French won't overtake English. Well, you've got nothing to worry about. French has reached its zenith and its popularity and its influence is in decline. English crested over French in the 19th century with the importance and power of the then British Empire, which coincided with the rise and importance of the United States as an industrial power. Ever since then, the English language has been one of the four major world languages (along with Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic). Personally speaking, my favorite language is The Sweet Tuscan of Dante. The Italian Language.
Sergio   Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:26 pm GMT
I am a native Spanish speaker.

This is an interesting question LAA, but I think it is too subjective to be answered as well. Keeping in mind, that we are strictly talking about the sounds:

Among the Romance languages, I like some melodies of Southamerican Spanish the most. I think that Peninsular Spanish sounds very flat and boring, as well as rougher than American Spanish.

But I do like as well SOME French and Italian accents too, so much as the Spanish varieties mentioned before!!

Generally speaking, for me, French sounds perhaps too pretentious and not so clear for other Romance languages speakers, Italian sounds like they are exagerating everything they say, and (at least Brazilian) Portuguese sounds in a way that you just can't take them seriously. I am not implying anything negative with my statement, because one thing is how one perceives the sound, and other thing is the capacity of expression, elegance and beauty of a language in total.

I have heard It, Fr, Pt, frequently and long enough to sustain my point of view (which is ONLY my point of view)

It would be quite interesting what other Romance language speakers would say about Spanish!!!

Now, if we widen the spectrum, I would say that compared to other Indoeuropean language families, Slavic languages sound not so beautiful (too many consonant sounds) as some Romance and Germanic languages (which are more vocalic, when compared to Slavic languages). Basque sounds quite rough, Baltic languages remind me the Slavic ones, Finno-Ugric languages and Greek don't seem to sound beautiful either. (But with those three languages I haven't have so much contact though).

I have heard quite a little of Celtic languages, namely Scottish and Irish Gaelic, although mostly sung, and I found they have a very sweet, smooth phonetics and a very gentil pace. But I would need to hear more to reinforce this opinion.

In the Germanic languages, I like Norwegian and Swedish, as long as they don't have this uvular "r", because of the tone system they have, and which is quite a unique feature in IE languages. The other Germanic languages may sound interesting, but not quite beautiful.

But when it comes to written Romance languages, French and Italian are the uncontested champions of elegance in structuring of thoughts, vivacity of expression and use of nuances, which you can sometimes almost hear when you read them!!!!

Spanish and Portuguese remain a bit behind them, although being also capable of richness in expresion, especially with a more complex use of verbs than It and Fr.