Lexical similarities between French-Spanish-Italian

JGreco   Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:50 am GMT
I am so glad you said that Helder Silva because my mom is from Florianopolis and I believe she would have a hard time understanding some of the slang speech in City of God. People have to understand that that movie is written in a slang spoken around the slums of Rio and that it has its own flavor which is way far away from stuff you see on outlets such as news television. If I don't post something I would like to ask someone to post off of youtube real examples of Brazilian Portuguese especially form two different regions (maybe one from Rio and another from Sao Paulo). I guarantee that the brazilian examples would be way more similar to any of the European examples.
Aldvm   Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 am GMT
"Another thing, I want to tell Marc that the movie "City of God" is not a good example, because the Portuguese spoken in this movie is BADLY SPOKEN PORTUGUESE - and I am an educated Portuguese speaker from Porto Alegre, Brazil."

Where are you getting at?? White brazilians speak better portuguese? Such eurocentrism from your part. The truth is that, that movie illustrates the common tongue amongst the 'brazilians' whether I or you like it or not. City of god is a famous movie, and I've seen plenty of other movies. Also, brazilian music is unintelligible. Take raça negra as an example, most words, are barely understandable, while others are like what did he say?

I must say, educated portuguese or not. It's still brazilian-portuguese and the common folk do speak like that movie Marc posted.
Aldvm   Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:13 am GMT
Videos of -Raca Negra-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B58irRvXQJw
(que pena)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_3pNJ7VkeI
(deus me livre)

It's only better understandable if you read the subtitles. Check it out
Latinboy   Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:18 pm GMT
Aldvm I am not eurocentric. The speech of 'City of god' is "slum talk" white or brown or black - - it really doesn't matter. That is not how most Brazilians speak. The English from the slums of New York City is just as bad, and the language spoken in the slums in any major city in the world would be just as bad. Are you addicted to 'Youtube?' Is that supposed to give your position credibility? I suggest choosing better sources.
Helder Silva   Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:51 pm GMT
Thank you for sayingthat Latinboy. And Aldvm. I am not, as you say, 'Eurocentric' either. For your information, I am, what you or anyone else would call a 'Mulattoe'. What Latinboy says is totally correct...the way they talk in that movie is nothing but 'Slum talk' which is far, far, far, from the standard Portuguese we speak in Brazil. Educated is just a realtive term so don't make too much of it. By edcuated I meant having a good education in average terms and in Brazil that is a lot.
Bob   Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:01 pm GMT
Found all of the arguments compelling. Has anyone heard of an artificial language called "Interlingua?" It is based on vocabulary common to the Romance languages (although I think it seems closer to Italian in written and verbal form).
Did any Romance language speaker ever have occasion to hear Interlingua spoken? It is actually as "mutually intelligible" as some would have us believe? I'd be interested in reading the dialogue on this subject.
Rolandop   Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:51 am GMT
How many Romance Languages are there besides the 5 official...? It, Fr, Sp, Pr, Ru
Sergio   Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm GMT
ERRATUM in the Catalan section. Here I write the corrected version.

Hi Rolando,

` grave accent
´ acute accent
^ circumflex accent

In Spanish:
á, é, í, ó, ú
In all cases, the accent marks that this is the tonic vowel of the word. You have to pronounce it a bit louder than the rest of the vowels within the word.

In Portuguese:
í, ú
The same as in Spanish
á,é,ó
The same as in Spanish, BUT this vowels are pronounced wide open.
â, ê, ô
The same as above, but the vowels are pronounced quite closed, in some cases nasalized.
à
Indicates the contraction of preposition a (to) + feminine determined article a (the, which in the other romance languages would be "la").

In Italian:
à, è, ì, ò, ù
The same as in Spanish, BUT it is only written if the tonic vowel is at the end of the word.
é
The same as above, but the e is pronounced quite closed.

In French:
à
It marks the difference between two otherwise homonimes: la (feminine determined article) vs. là (there)
è
open e
é
closed e
ù
The same as with the a: ou (or) vs. où (where)
â, ê, î, ô, û
It marks sometimes an open pronountiation, sometimes it indicates that after this vowel an "s" followed in the past, in early stages of French.
See French hôpital vs. Spanish hospital, or maître vs. maestro.

In Catalan:
à,
The same as in Spanish, PLUS the fact that without it, "a" changes its sound to a neuter vowel.
í, ú
The same as in Spanish.
é, ó
The same as in the case of "a" above, but with this accent, these vowels shall be pronounced closed.
è, ò
The same as above, but with this accent these vowels shall be pronounced open.

Romanian: in this language I don't know.
Sergio   Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:41 pm GMT
Summary:

Spanish
á, é, í, ó, ú

Portuguese
à
á, é, í, ó, ú
â, ê, ô

Italian
à, è, ì, ò, ù
é

French
à, è, ù
é,
â, ê, î, ô, û

Catalan
à, è, ò
é, í, ó, ú
OldAvatar   Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:45 pm GMT
@Sergio

There are not accents in Romanian. There are diacritic signs, but they are actually different letters of the alphabet.

ă, â, î, ş, ţ

Regards
guest   Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:44 pm GMT
~Very interesting and good comments.I agree with you. Most people who understand languages and linguistics agree that Portuguese sounds like a dialect of Spanish.~

I may look like in the written form, but it does not sound like spanish. Portuguese sounds closer to catalan.
I always heard the other way round, that it was spanish that was a dialect of portuguese. Anyway, which came first, the chicken or the egg?
j-p.a   Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:51 pm GMT
18 pages on this drivel ?

One can make only one conclusion: you need to go outside more often !

In high esteem,

sincerely yours

j-p.a
Franco   Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:07 pm GMT
j-p.a!

You are very wise. I went outside about 15 minutes ago to look at the moon. The moon is merciful to the sinners.

Thanks, for your help. I am very grateful.

I'll go out side again on your request.

Franco
Franco   Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:10 pm GMT
Anyway, which came first, the chicken or the egg?

If we go by present day definitions then obviously the egg. The ancestors of the chicken obvioulsy had already developed egglaying technique of reproduction as it is present in birds ancestors (eg dinosaurs layed eggs). Therefore at the point when the chicken was finally able to be defined as a modern day 'chicken" by todays standards the chickens ancestors had been laying eggs for millions of years.
guest   Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19 pm GMT
I love the sound of portuguese of Portugal and the sound of portuguese of Brasil. What a beautifull language! I do not know what a lazy french sounds like, but I am sure it is not portuguese. Guest: your speech sounds a bit cheese. Move on. You give the impression that you are a bit hard of hearing or that you never heard portuguese, spanish or french.